Pawel Mazur
msg tools
Hey guys,

I live in Berlin and yesterday we had the chance to check out the new Expansions!

We had a full game of 5 people going, two new players and three extremely advanced players (around 80 games each).

The verdict on the new map (only played one side) and the new Venus Expansion? 10/10.

The map is very diverse and allows for some crazy new strategies. All the milestones and achievements are new, some of the milestones are: Diverse, have 8 different tags, Southpole Exlplorer: Have 3 tiles on the southpole and I can't remember the 4 others (yes 4, the expansion adds a new milestone and achievement).

The achievement were Eccentric: Have the most resources (cubes on cards, like animals etc.) (names forgotten but the effects are who has the most greeneries, who has the most buildings etc.

But the Venus Expansions makes the whole game go to 11. There is 5 new corps and a new Venus board, with another track with 15 steps. This track is not necessary to end the game, but you do gain a terraforming rating each time you move the -V- track.

To not slow down the game too much there is a new solar phase. At the end of a generation the player with the starter marker gets to move any track or ocean once. He does not gain any benefits from this.

This is a great way to deny people bonuses or move the track up closer to a requirement and balances the additional 15 steps on the -V- track.

The new cards are the Venus cards that have floaters on them. Floaters are a resource just like microbes. They mostly interact with the -V- track by moving it forward or allowing you to draw cards. I've only seen a few of those though. They have they own Tag, a blue V.

The new corps are absolutely fantastic. We've played with 4 of them, one of which was played by a new player, so I can't say how good it is, but the other 3 were played by advanced players and we came in only 1 point apart each.

They include: Celestic: As your first action go to through the deck and find the first two cards with floaters on them. And Action: Player a floater on any Venus card. The corps itself is worth 1/3 VP per floater on it.

And then two other cards that I didn't study too much, but they had really good effects as well.

Overall I was absolutely happy with the new stuff. If I could I would've bought it right then and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the information. We are loving Terraforming Mars and this new content sounds great. I have no desire for new content yet, because the base game feels complete and I'm nowhere near overexposure. Still haven't played all of the corporations. But it is nice to know that the new content is faithful to the original design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have 40 plays of tmars so far but i completely adore it.

So people can understand better your experience can you answer this

If i love tmars, will i still love it/love it more/dislike this?

If i dont like tmars, will i like it/love it/still dislike it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm continuously peeing my pants waiting for this new TM stuff. It's taking a lot of water to keep me hydrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
I'm continuously peeing my pants waiting for this new TM stuff. It's taking a lot of water to keep me hydrated.

Pix or it didn't happen.

I didn't include the waist down for everyone's benefit, but I took this picture, showing my mixture of simultaneous excitement and discomfort, also mixed with my disappointment of no Kenner win for our beloved game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind to fix the title and replace "Essen" with "Berlin"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to be able to play a beta version of Venus, so I'll weigh in now with a few more details:

Panigg wrote:
The new cards are the Venus cards that have floaters on them. Floaters are a resource just like microbes. They mostly interact with the -V- track by moving it forward or allowing you to draw cards. I've only seen a few of those though. They have they own Tag, a blue V.

While the new Floaters are just a new special resource, like microbes or animals, what's noteworthy about them is that the cards that feature them tend to interact with one another quite strongly. Aside from the above project cards and Celestic corp Pawel mentioned (action: place a floater on any Venus card), I remember other floater cards which, for instance, let you pay a minor amount for yet more floaters, spend floaters for money when playing cards, collect VP for floaters (at a better rate than Celestic does by itself), and more. "Floater engines" can become pretty strong!

Needless to say, aside from new cards which deal with floaters and Venus, there's also a bunch of other new cards in the Venus expansion. For instance, expect at least one new city on Mars (plus several reserved city spots on and around Venus). cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Mep
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
mb
Dear, will a better venus come with Hellas & Elysium or will it be another? Will it be released this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
filipemep wrote:
Dear, will a better venus come with Hellas & Elysium or will it be another? Will it be released this year?

Venus next is the second expansion, expected during the autumn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Haessler
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mb
Hello, my gaming group an i love TMars, but the expansion doesn´t sound that special...i dont want a new gameboard i want additions to the existing board. Am i overlooking something?Why choose Hellas&Elysium over the vanilla game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wildschweine wrote:
Hello, my gaming group an i love TMars, but the expansion doesn´t sound that special...i dont want a new gameboard i want additions to the existing board. Am i overlooking something?Why choose Hellas&Elysium over the vanilla game?

For variety.

Hellas & Elysium provides substitute content (two new boards). Terraforming Venus provides added content (new cards and a venus sideboard). Buy what suits you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention the new milestones and awards on these new maps, which slightly modifies the strategies for each map.

But yes, for variety.

All upcoming expansions are told to be modular so they can be combined in any wanted combination
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.