Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go back to the Game Table Design Series: Index

A common eye catching feature of newer tables are LED lights. These can be located within the vault or positioned around outside of the table.

LED lights are available at an assortment of price ranges. Not all LED lights are equal so you get what you pay for. Heat is one of the biggest culprits for defective LED lights. The cheaper the LED, the more susceptible to heat damage it will be. Unlike incandescent lighting which gives off enough heat to burn you, the small amount of heat we are talking about with LED lighting is hardly noticeable to humans (ie. it feels warm), but is deadly to the LED lights. In order to preserve your LED's and have them last for years, the small amount of heat generated by the LED lights should be conducted away by using aluminum tracks. Aluminum tracks do 3 things:
1. Conducts the excess heat away from the LED to extend their life span.
2. Provides an easy mounting point for light diffusers to reduce the harshness/brightness of the raw LED light.
3. Gives the LED strips a solid backing to adhere to.

While LED's will work without aluminum channeling, they will be more difficult to mount in your table, more likely to burn out/stop working, and it is much harder to mount a diffuser to help make the light more even and less spot lighty. The downside is that aluminum channeling can be expensive and will add to the over all cost.

LED lights Within The Vault
Placing the LED strips within the vault is very eye catching but can cause some issues.
Pros:
• Visually stunning - WOW Factor
• Can illuminate the vault with mood lighting if properly installed (watch out for glare)

Cons:
• If improperly installed, the LED lights from across the table can create glare which makes it hard to see the board/card game
• Requires a power source. This is either done with a AC to DC converted where you have a power cord from your table plugging into your house hold 120Vac (North America), or you have a battery pack hidden within the table.
• Reduces the Antique potential of the table if the table was built to last using hardwoods. Over many years, the table will survive but the LED lighting will eventually fail.

LED lights Under The Table
Placing the LED lighting outside the table removes the glare issue while creating a stunning effect between the table and the floor.
Pros:
• Visually stunning - WOW Factor
• LEDs can be run during a game without creating glare since it is illuminating the area outside the vault

Cons:
• Once you sit down, the LED lighting becomes a non factor as you cannot see its effects while sitting.
• Requires a power source. This is either done with a AC to DC converted where you have a power cord from your table plugging into your house hold 120Vac (North America), or you have a battery pack hidden within the table.
• Reduces the Antique potential of the table if the table was built to last using hardwoods. Over many years, the table will survive but the LED lighting will eventually fail.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for how your project turns out using any of this information.

Go back to the Game Table Design Series: Index

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Change Log:
July 17, 2017 - Initial Posting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a collected source listing where people have acquired there LED lighting kits/materials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blackwood
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi All,
Quick one about this: Do people have recommendations for colour temperature? I'm having a table built with RGBW LEDs and am trying to decide whether to go RGB Cool White or Warm white. I tend to prefer warm whites, but I'm not sure if a cool white would be better for visibility. What do other people think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackied wrote:
Hi All,
Quick one about this: Do people have recommendations for colour temperature? I'm having a table built with RGBW LEDs and am trying to decide whether to go RGB Cool White or Warm white. I tend to prefer warm whites, but I'm not sure if a cool white would be better for visibility. What do other people think?
Cool White is typically around 5k and is very similar to natural daylight.
Warm White is typically around 3k and is very similar to Incandescent light (more yellow).

To view accurate game component colours, the Cool white would be better but to some people, it is too harsh. Warm light might be easier on the eyes but can colour shift things so some blue components can look green, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.