Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberto Miquel
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to be a fanboy, is an honest question. I know we all have our own likes, but Epoch is unique enough to at least attract people to check it out, or so I think. Besides, the campaign is very striking, the game is not expensive and it was number one on Kicktraq's Top Ten a few days, and it's still there.

What do you think is keeping people indifferent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Bélanger
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As weird as it can sound the game lack controversy to heat the bgg forum. Everything in the game / campaign make so much sense that we don't have anything to argue about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enough posts / clicks is my guess. As Luc points out a good argument gets posts and clicks, and Epoch is a really nice well made game that makes sense and has no controversy.

Still would be good for others to at least see the campaign and judge for themselves if this is the game for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B

Ballwin
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We could always open up a mini vs standee fight forum. That's about the most controversial thing I can think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual of Orange Nebula
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you believe Marc is secretely planning an update where it turns out this is legacy format!!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Bélanger
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most game are legacy game you can tear the component and all. Biggest problem is they only have one scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't mention the cake .... oh damn I mentioned it. Now I will have to go and terminate myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B

Ballwin
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy Epoch would be awesome. I don't care as much about the evolution of the character (which would be awesome) but the evolution of the island could be phenomenal. Then you could play different wretches washed ashore at different times during the evolution of the island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not sure. The formula of whether it is in the "hotness" is based on comments on pictures, threads created, comment activity, # ofpeople who are fans, # of people who have rated it and I'm sure other variables. I am not sure what the weighting factor is of those variables either.

That being said, I think the game looks fantastic (full disclosure: I am backing it). It has a mix of euro mechanism and has multiple paths to victory but it also has some Ameri-thrash elements with it's dudes on a map and highly thematic fantasy elements.

I like the fact that each character starts off thrown off a ship and wash up on beach and realize they are wretched scum. Their starting companion is random but it is the person that found you on the beach and rescued you.
So in a way it's a story of redemption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Bélanger
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow a lot of good idea is it too early to start a new thread on the legacy version of epoch

I like the idea that the more game you play the more the island become corrupted with better version of the old tile at the price of honor. The library become the corrupted library, give 4 knowledge but reduce your honor by 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would love miniatures but the art is so pleasing I would be okay without them. Has anyone seen the stone golem miniature? It looks fantastic and if it has game play options then "Wow" that would be fantastic.

I am somewhat puzzled why the game doesn't have more backers. Maybe Cthulhu Wars is sucking oxygen out of the room but it has been slow going for a while and CW just launched today.

Epoch has so many options for replayability. Different map tiles, new companions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Its in competition with Founders of Gloomhaven, which is sucking up a lot of attention. However at least its not up against a CMON project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gavken wrote:
...... at least its not up against a CMON project.

5, 4, 3, 2, ........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tg Pumpkin

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's keeping us off the hotlist? Marc hasn't launched his ace up his sleeve tile yet.

The enchanted pumpkin patch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do not know of any CMON KS projects about to drop. I think this game has legs and is ripe for expansions/additional content. In this game you start off as wretched scum....seeking redemption. What's not to love?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
gavken wrote:

5, 4, 3, 2, ........

July 25 is A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game – Stark vs Lannister Starter Set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
CasualToast wrote:
gavken wrote:

5, 4, 3, 2, ........

July 25 is A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game – Stark vs Lannister Starter Set

ding ding ding

It's OK, we got this. I legitimately think Epoch appeals to a different type of gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schultze
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice little game on BGG Forum could draw attention like the game from TCoK as we had moved Earthshaker. The fans could explore the island, playing against a wretch played by Orange Nebula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awww......shoot. GOT miniatures? At least for me this is a "Whew".
I do not care for miniature skirmish games - well the ones that are like Warhammer 40K with measuring and rulers and templates. But we all know the minis will be fantastic and CMON knows how to run an effective KS project.
I can feel the oxygen being sucked out of the room as we speak.

The miniature skirmish/war game of the same ilk as Warhammer is going to get crowded.

Fantasty Flight has launched on in the same universe as Runebound
I think Ares Games might be launching one with a Joan of Arc theme too.
Now, CMON will have one.

WAIT!!?? I thought Fantasy Flight owned the rights to Game of Thrones? How did CMON snag that?? Maybe FF owns it for card/board games only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrook29 wrote:

WAIT!!?? I thought Fantasy Flight owned the rights to Game of Thrones? How did CMON snag that?? Maybe FF owns it for card/board games only.

FFG owns rights for Game of Thrones.

CMON's game is ASOFAI (books not tv)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think posting more of the beautiful artwork on BGG would be great also and maybe a spotlight with Man vs. Meeple.

Every now and again, there is a game that has me scratching my head as to why it is not wildly successful. This is one of those.

Maybe, because there are not a lot of miniatures? I dunno.

For me the theme and story of how you are a wretched scum is intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B

Ballwin
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of it is that it's hard as a first time creator to have a big following. A lot of the large companies that really don't need to use the kickstarter platform do and that's a shame. They take a lot of the hype and the wallets of people with their string of add-on's. Also at first glance this game seems to have a lot of moving parts that could scare people away. This game isn't like trying to put Ikea furniture together with your spouse though. While there can be a ton of strategy and the game changes every time you play it, the basic gameplay and concepts seem very approachable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tg Pumpkin

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately while I am a GoT and ASoIaF (did I get all that? ), I have limited to no interest in that game. I have weird feelings about licensed games. I always worry that it's more about the license than the substance of the game.

I'm not saying that's fair...it's just locked in my head. I love Dark Souls video games but was standoffish when it came out as a board game (I heard it's pretty decent though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm of the same mind TgPumpkin. I love the books and TV series but I've not been very impressed with any of the board game stuff based on it, and a miniatures skirmish game is just not up my alley,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B

Ballwin
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tgpumpkin wrote:
Fortunately while I am a GoT and ASoIaF (did I get all that? ), I have limited to no interest in that game. I have weird feelings about licensed games. I always worry that it's more about the license than the substance of the game.

I'm not saying that's fair...it's just locked in my head. I love Dark Souls video games but was standoffish when it came out as a board game (I heard it's pretty decent though).

Agreed. Sometimes you just can't capture the same essence.

Now, an Epoch movie about wretches and cake.....

Nah, probably not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.