Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Tom Casual of Orange Nebula
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any specific details about a second edition or deluxe edition of this game being produced that addresses the component issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been asked lots of times here and I think that TM won't have a deluxe or new edition, at least in the near future.

I personally think that the game is fine as it is, but if you feel like pimping your game you'll find lots of thread with fan suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha.

No official response from the publisher though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
Gotcha.

No official response from the publisher though?
The designer's brother (the four brothers are all involved with the game) has said that if such a thing would happen it would be after all the expansions. Of which there are six planned. Two of which will be released this year. I believe the designer said it would be 2-3 years at minimum before they'd do anything like a deluxe version and even that isn't guaranteed, just something they're thinking about.

Edit: (I found the reference I was thinking of.)

EagleEye80 wrote:
Deluxe Edition? Yes, we would like to make something like that, maybe in 2-3 years from now so we can put all the planned expansions, promo-cards, etc in one big box!! We might also do a more expensive player board for a deluxe edition. But this is only an idea at this point...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/edit/26395623
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:

I personally think that the game is fine as it is

same here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grafpoo wrote:
PEdorido wrote:

same here
Yup. Me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
In the meantime, there are numerous aftermarket component products that you may obtain if you wish to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thunkd wrote:
grafpoo wrote:
PEdorido wrote:

same here
Yup. Me too.

This game deserves GORGEOUS components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
There are many products designed to work with Terraforming Mars, and then there are plenty of things people have done to make their own version unique.

Whether you buy any of the misc items off Amazon (Broken Token, player organizers, etc) or make some of the different things (custom 1st player markers that look like Mars, painted figurines to simulate the trackers, etc. Even saw someone who printed copies of the player board, glued it over a metal sheet, and then used crafting beads with tiny magnets in the bottom to make it so resources/player markers don't move around if bumped.

I have also seen people who have used tokens they have acquired from other games (say Scythe coins?) to use them as resource counters.

Do what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Keel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't get the full-on component hate. Although, that being said, I am spending more than I paid on the game for upgrades to the player boards (since knocking over cubes is a true problem) but the look of the board and cards is great, I think. I think people are getting way too hung up on needing every game to be Scythe. Look at how popular Ethnos is and it REALLY needs an art upgrade, if nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
heyheyjk wrote:
Although, that being said, I am spending more than I paid on the game for upgrades to the player boards (since knocking over cubes is a true problem)...

While I am biased as I do own 4 different Broken Token inserts (Terraforming Mars, Caverna, Scythe, and Imperial Settlers), I would say if any of those games really deserved it and if I had to only pick one? It would be hands down Terraforming Mars. The others are great for just packing things up and keeping it tidy for setup/teardown. The TM one though does that but is also extremely helpful for playing. All production cubes have recessed places that allow them to not move unless you want them to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/search/thing/167791

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah BGG. Everything is so predictable.

I appreciate the condescending referrals to the search function which produces dozens of ambiguous threads spanning dozens of weeks full of confusion and uncertainty. How dare I inquire with the community for the most recent news on a much discussed, much confused, much convoluted issue.

Props to Bryan Thunkd for giving the only ACTUAL helpful and informative response to the original question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are currently for 0 days not having a thread about components quality and deluxe edition.

I am dissapointed with you bgg, you can do better than that cmoooooooon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:

I appreciate the condescending referrals to the search function which produces dozens of ambiguous threads spanning dozens of weeks full of confusion and uncertainty. How dare I inquire with the community for the most recent news on a much discussed, much confused, much convoluted issue.

Props to Bryan Thunkd for giving the only ACTUAL helpful and informative response to the original question.

I thought it was helpful. /shrug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
CasualToast wrote:

I thought it was helpful. /shrug

If that was the spirit in which your particular post was intended then I am grateful and think you're the best. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:
We are currently for 0 days not having a thread about components quality and deluxe edition.

Hmmmmmm

So there's non stop smoke...maybe that means the fire is real and not just in peoples imaginations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
ryusora wrote:

Hmmmmmm

So there's non stop smoke...maybe that means the fire is real and not just in peoples imaginations?

It's not a matter of imagination. Some people want higher grade components, and some don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
CasualToast wrote:
ryusora wrote:

Hmmmmmm

It's not a matter of imagination. Some people want higher grade components, and some don't.

Well sure.

But when such an unusually large percentage of people are disappointed with the quality of the components then it's fair to say there may be a point to their discontent. Many may not share their opinion but when such a large number of people DO, then to disregard it as insignificant or somehow wrong is just silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
Talmanes wrote:
CasualToast wrote:
ryusora wrote:

Hmmmmmm

Well sure.

But when such an unusually large percentage of people are disappointed with the quality of the components then it's fair to say there may be a point to their discontent. Many may not share their opinion but when such a large number of people DO, then to disregard it as insignificant or somehow wrong is just silly.

Where are you getting your figures for the highlighted parts? I suspect it's entirely anecdotal.

Since the game is selling out every print run before the next is becoming available at the moment, why would they spend money changing it? Since it does sell out every time, clearly there's sufficient market that IS fine with the current quality that your opinion is mute for business decisions and IS insignificant. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'

Just as with any other game, I would expect a deluxe version once they've made all expansions (exactly as they are planning) which is 'normal' behaviour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No ones saying it isn't a good game. It's ok if you're someone that doesn't mind the current production. But just because something sells well doesn't mean people's observations and opinions about the quality of the components are somehow invalid or 'disproven' in some way. And if you LEGITIMATELY think the degree to which people feel unpleased with the components is insignificant then you clearly have decided to maintain a certain stance despite what evidence presents itself, however anecdotal it may be.

There IS an unusual amount of frustration with components for this game. Of course the publisher is free to not care because the game is succeeding anyway. Doesn't mean the frustration doesn't exist though and, again, denying it exists because you disagree or don't care is just silliness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
It's hard to make judgements about how many people are really bothered by something by a relatively small number of posts on a forum. If you look at how many people ever post in the Terraforming Mars forums, it's what... a few hundred probably? And only a subset of those post about component issues. That's a very small number compared to the 11,000 people who have rated the game. Which is a small number in comparison to the number of people who have bought the game. (There's been three print runs, the last two of which were purportedly much bigger than the standard size of 5k. I think they said the second print run was double the first? And perhaps the same was true of the third?) Also, people who have an issue are much more likely to be motivated to make their opinion known than people who are content.

So yeah, there's a lot of posts about issues in the forums. But whether that's representative of a larger majority or simply a very small but vocal segment is hard to know. Based on the fact that the game is selling like hot cakes and has gone through three printings in a very short timeframe, it's hard to believe that tons of people find the component issue a significant problem. At least not significant enough to stop them from purchasing the game. And even if a lot of them wished for better components, as long as they're buying the game, there's not a ton of reason why the designer/publisher would benefit from changing anything right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
No ones saying it isn't a good game. It's ok if you're someone that doesn't mind the current production. But just because something sells well doesn't mean people's observations and opinions about the quality of the components are somehow invalid or 'disproven' in some way. And if you LEGITIMATELY think the degree to which people feel unpleased with the components is insignificant then you clearly have decided to maintain a certain stance despite what evidence presents itself, however anecdotal it may be.

There IS an unusual amount of frustration with components for this game. Of course the publisher is free to not care because the game is succeeding anyway. Doesn't mean the frustration doesn't exist though and, again, denying it exists because you disagree or don't care is just silliness

I'm not aware of anyone denying it.

If you want a feel for the relative populations of satisfied/dissatisfied, I suggest an experiment: pull up the various threads on components here (there are many), and count thumbs, not posts. A good starting point is this thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1708882/inofficial-componen...

... which contains an actual poll.

In the end though, the only opinion that really matters is your own. If you are not satisfied with the components, there are various aftermarket products available to spiff up your copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
....At least not significant enough to stop them from purchasing the game. And even if a lot of them wished for better components, as long as they're buying the game, there's not a ton of reason why the designer/publisher would benefit from changing anything right now.

This I guess is the real salient point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
....At least not significant enough to stop them from purchasing the game. And even if a lot of them wished for better components, as long as they're buying the game, there's not a ton of reason why the designer/publisher would benefit from changing anything right now.

This I guess is the real salient point.
If you're really wanting better components, I'd bet that a few years down the line they'll probably release a big box version with all of the six upcoming expansions included. That'd probably be a perfect opportunity for them to do a deluxe version. The cost of the deluxe components wouldn't be as noticeable when you're already paying a lot for a big box version as it would be when you're paying for only the base game. It'd also be an incentive for people to upgrade to the big box version. I don't know if it'd be enough of an incentive for someone who had bought all the expansions separately, but I could see someone who had the base game and not all of the expansion seriously being tempted to go for a deluxe big box version.

Of course that means waiting 3 or so years to get this great game. Personally, I'd rather buy the game and play it now... but I also don't think the current components are an issue at all.

I actually think the player cubes and metallic cubes are great components and was pleased to see the game with something a step up from your typical wooden cubes or cardboard chits (which most games use to represent resources and money). The complaint I hear most often is about the player boards and cubes getting bumped. That hasn't been a problem for me, but there's certainly a lot of options for upgrading if that's the concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.