Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview
Congratulations! You and your team have made it to the World Championship! Of Russian Roulette! Can you survive and beat all the other teams?

In the World Championship of Russian Roulette, you and your team are trying not to shoot yourselves and beat all the other teams. You can do this either by being the last team with survivors or by points. Points are awarded for every trigger you pull, plus 1 for staying alive! However, you only get the points for the trigger pulls if you survive the round!

Game Setup
1.) All players should pick their color and collect: 3 Teammate tiles and 1 captain tile in their color, 1 six-sided die of their color, 1 pocket reference tile in their color, 6 "click" cards in their color, and 1 "bang" card, 1 action card, dealt randomly.
2.) Combine your bang card with your click cards. You should have 7 in your hand
3.) Place the rest of the bang cards in the middle of the table
4.) Place the action cards in the middle of the table
5.) Place the victory tokens in the middle of the table

Basic Game Play
Game play is divided into 6 phases. Pocket, Spin, Bidding, Challenge, Trigger, Point.

POCKET PHASE
In this phase, each player will look at their deck of cards and pick one card to place under their pocket reference card (player aid). If you place a "bang" card under your reference card, this gives you the advantage of knowing that you won't get shot (unless you have more) but also means you are cheating and may be called out on it.

You should have 6 cards in your hand at the end of this phase (action cards normally left on the table and thus not in your hand).

SPIN PHASE
Each player should now shuffle the cards in your hand without looking at them and place them face-down on the table.

BIDDING PHASE
Players pick up their die and decide how many times they are going to pull the trigger. Once you pick your number, place it on the table and cover it up. You don't want to show the others what you are bidding.

You can not bid 6, but you can bid 0. You would typically do this if you know you have multiple "bang" cards in your deck.

Once everyone has picked their bids, you all reveal your bids at the same time.

CHALLENGE PHASE
During this phase, you can call out another player that you think may be cheating and hiding their "bang" card.

If the player is cheating, they die and flip one of their Teammate tiles over. If it is their Captain, they are out of the game. You then gain 3 action cards from the deck.

If the player is NOT cheating, they gain 1 action card from the deck and you discard one of your "click" cards and replace it with another "bang" card from the table, then reshuffle your hand.

TRIGGER PHASE
Once everyone is ready, count down from 3 and start drawing your cards. Flip the top card over so everyone can see it. Do this until you have reached your bid number, or until you get a "bang" card. This phase is carried out simultaneously.

If you pulled a "bang" card, flip one of your teammate tiles over. If this is your captain, then you are out of the game. If you flipped a teammate over, remove any excess "bang" cards from your deck and collect an action card from the deck.

POINT PHASE
If you survived your ordeal, then you gain 1 point. It does not matter if you bid 0 or not. You then gain 1 point for every trigger pull you did. If you bid 3, pulled the trigger 3 times and didn't get a "bang" card, then you end up with 4 points.

GAME END
While you can play until you are the only person left in the game, the person that has 15 points AND more points than any other player, they win.

Overall Thoughts
Not really the biggest fan of this game topic, I remember seeing this on KickStarter and didn’t back it due partly to the theme. At Origins 2017 the group I was with and I did a demo of the game, and we all enjoyed it to the point I went back a few days later and picked up a copy. The theme isn’t for everyone, putting that aside, it is a good game.

On my current average, World Championship of Russian Roulette takes about 20 minutes to play, and that includes teaching it. It is a very simple game to teach and a very simple game to play.

Every player has a player aid that helps them know what each stage of the round is, and what it is called. During the game, each player gets action cards that can help them turn the tables, and each card tells you when to play them, both with a number/icon and in the text below the name.

Challenging another player to see if they are ‘cheating’ by putting the bullet, or bang card, in their ‘pocket’ can get you 3 of the action cards if they are cheating, but if you are wrong, they get 1 and you have to add another bang card to your hand and shuffle them again.

World Championship of Russian Roulette has a little bit of Take That built into it. Some of the action cards allow you to target other players. Many times this causes people to start ganging up on the person in the lead. Now that is a solid strategy, and it won’t occur every single round as the action cards are used once and then discarded, but the possibility is there.

Phase skipping is a problem, could be just with me. I go from the pocket phase to the bidding phase (after shuffling my cards) without waiting for everyone else. Very easy to do. This is only an issue if someone has an action card to play.

Final Thoughts
I really enjoy World Championship Russian Roulette. It is so simple to teach. I've used it a few times to waste time while waiting for others to join. Definitely better with 4+ players.

Replay value is about what you would expect from a filler. We wouldn't get together to play just this, but if we have time before or between games and want something simple, this is going to be one of them that we pick.

Pros
+ Quick
+ Print-N-Play
+ Easy to teach
+ Good Player Aid
+ Good Rulebook

Cons
- Theme
- Phase Skipping (could just be me)

Originally posted here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review!

One of my main worries is that it's simply not as good as Skull, which I think draws beauty from its simplicity. Are you able to comment at all on whether the chrome in WCRR helps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Thanks for the review!

One of my main worries is that it's simply not as good as Skull, which I think draws beauty from its simplicity. Are you able to comment at all on whether the chrome in WCRR helps?

Unfortunately, I am not able to. I have never played Skull.

From reading the description, however, I think I may enjoy WCRR better. I LOVE the action cards you can get, some of them can really mess with peoples strategies, and others can really help you out. The most complex part of WCRR, however, would be the action cards. Just knowing when to play them, but having the beautifully done player aid resolves that, and with both a step number/icon and the name of the step to help with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.