Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst this is a discussion around the balance between having 2 astronauts and 4 its referring to the first campaign mission. Hence the spoiler tag...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
So I've just started (and restarted, and rerestarted) the first mission of the campaign and I'm really struggling to see how its possible with 2 astronauts.

With an unlucky draw its possible to have a -1 astronaut in ring 1 and -1 astronaut in ring 2, meaning that in order to reach ring 3 you need

2 actions for ring 1
2 actions for ring 2
1 action for ring 3

+ 1 action to actually have a roll on exploring/ building

So 6 actions, and your 2 player team has 4 basic + 1 (+2 for exclusively exploring) from the vehicle + 1 from the robot.

So on those turns you'll need to spend your entire turn just for a CHANCE of success. As you've got so few pawns you'll have to spread thinly and then you'll often fail things, and see events which seem to universally remove dobbers from you down the line, which actually makes the action completely undoable.

I had one game where I got to round 5 and then just through outcomes of earlier events I got blocked from even having a chance of completing the mission, and the others got me close but had me hemorraging morale, health and equipment reliability as its impossible to do ANYTHING other than the core objective.

The fact half of the events require two people add the pressure to an already impossible situation.

I'm gonna just cheat and go on easy mode, but I'm not rubbish at Robinson, my win rate for mission one is around 80% and I've completed the voyage of the beagle with a respectable score. I just don't see how I can do any better other than roll dice better or draw less punitive adventures...

And this is only the first mission! If I'd managed to roll well in my last game I'd have completed it on turn 8, with both guys on 1 health, -2 morale, a seed only 1 stage into growing, all three boards triggered for malfunction dice and a smattering of permenant conditions...

With four it seems that you're slightly punished for losing an extra farm, and no autodoc and one less turn. One action will bring you up to speed on the autodoc (and you will have the same number of upgrades than the solo player as he removes that and then 2 on setup), and from then on you've got an extra two dobbers to use, with no restrictions on their use (unlike the robots). So you'll be up 6 actions overall, (14 (7 turns x2 dobbers) - 6 (for the extra turn) - 2 (for the guarenteed autodoc)) and have far greater flexibility on turns in terms of fighting the crises that rock up...

Just trying to work out where I'm going wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign was, of course, play-tested in all variants and you can easily make this scenario. I don't want to discuss strategies to play it publicly. It's campaign and I don't mean to spoil anything.

If you'd like, you can contact me through DM or email and I will give you some hints.

The 1st scenario in the campaign is the easiest one, so if you struggle with it, I recommend you play more singles to get more experience and learn some tricks before you go further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When a campaign calls for lots of exploring, I suggest using the drone operator as one of your characters. Her skill of spending 3 (+) to cancel a terrain effect is invaluable to these missions. Also, if you're lucky enough to draw the garage upgrade that allows you to flip 2 ROI tokens and keep 1, build that as soon as possible.

On the whole, I've found myself using the character skills a great deal more on Mars than I did on the Cursed Island. I wouldn't have won the LOCAL MATERIALS mission without the scientist's ability to flip 2 research cards and take 1 and the drone operator's ability to re-roll gather dice. Likewise, the medic can be a literal life-saver when things get tight at the end of a scenario. Also, the engineer is critical in MAKE YOURSELVES AT HOME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good shout but you get no skills unlocked in the campaign so no dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyhne
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:

With an unlucky draw its possible to have a -1 astronaut in ring 1 and -1 astronaut in ring 2, meaning that in order to reach ring 3 you need

2 for ring 1
2 actions for ring 2
1 action for ring 3

I'm going to play this tomorrow so I have a question regard this scenario.
What draw are you talking about? Aren't the ROIs pre selected?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
jyhne wrote:

I'm going to play this tomorrow so I have a question regard this scenario.
What draw are you talking about? Aren't the ROIs pre selected?

Not really spoiler, but meh
Some are pre-select by setup, but the mission objectives will be on yet-to-be-explored ROIs. So you will need to draw randomly from the unused ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oriol jauma
msg tools
Just one thing,

If you get the +1 pawn on both NW1 and NW2, you still have the path exploring W3.

Then going through the West, you've got 2 plains, plus whatever comes out on W3. Which means 6 pawns for no-roll success. (+2 astronaut1, +1 AOM, +1 rover, +2 astronaut2).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.