Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory Jones
United States
Waco
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I was scrolling on Facebook this morning, an advertisement popped up for "Hasbro Gaming Crates" which purport to be an "EXCLUSIVE COLLECTION OF 3 GAMES, CURATED BY HASBRO GAMING EXPERTS. DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR."

https://www.hasbrogamingcrate.com/en/htssubscriptions/homepa...

What do you think about this? Will it ultimately be good for the hobby? Does anyone know about which games are included in the bundles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can't hurt - looks like this is more targeted to non-hobby gamers and of course will only include Hasbro titles.

Other companies have tried this without much success, and if anyone can pull it off it's Hasbro. As long as they include some good games in each crate, and an excellent game every once in a while, then it'll probably be a success.

Including Speak Out in the party box was a good choice, and Mask of the Pharaoh (aka Mask of Anubis) is a good family game that's hard to find and was included in the family box.

If I had small children I'd seriously consider the family box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really like these kind of crates, but I do think it's good for the hobby. While we don't talk very positively about Hasbro around here, they're very popular and I think showing people that you can play more than 1 new game each year might get more people interested in the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind crates are a fad now and sometime soon will be cut back to the hobbies it works for. I don't think gaming is one of them. This will just give a lot of people a collection that bloated with too much mediocre games. Many families that aren't into board gaming are that way because all they had were just blah games.
I do agree with Dianne's comment on if anyone will pull it off it will be hasbro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In case, OP's link doesn't work, try this one: https://www.hasbrogamingcrate.com/

$50 a crate seems pretty steep, given the discounts I'm used to seeing for Hasbro products. But I've also seen the various "Family Night" ads from Hasbro over the last years, sorta fit this idea -- it's game night, let's try a new game, sorta thing. I think it's good for the hobby, since its target audience may be non-gamers who have no idea what new game to try next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roary11oreo wrote:
As I was scrolling on Facebook this morning, an advertisement popped up for "Hasbro Gaming Crates" which purport to be an "EXCLUSIVE COLLECTION OF 3 GAMES, CURATED BY HASBRO GAMING EXPERTS. DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR."

https://www.hasbrogamingcrate.com/en/htssubscriptions/homepa...

What do you think about this? Will it ultimately be good for the hobby? Does anyone know about which games are included in the bundles?

BGG News posted a rundown last week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
Blind crates are a fad now and sometime soon will be cut back to the hobbies it works for. I don't think gaming is one of them. This will just give a lot of people a collection that bloated with too much mediocre games.

Sounds like an attempt to sell stuff that otherwise nobody is buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it reinforces the world view that boardgames are Risk, Monopoly, Game of Life and various lumps of plastic with batteries in them.

I don't know the games in the crate particularly, but I'd far rather see a 'crate' from almost any other publisher.

I think in terms of exapanding the hobby, you have to be pretty into it to just buy random games? You're already in it, you're just not well informed. It's more likely to turn people off I'd have almost thought - I thought I liked games, but... this stuff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Are they good for the hobby? Probably. But at $50+ for the crate, I'll have to pass. While they will probably include good games with good per title discounts, I'd rather have a little more control over what goes on table even if it means I'm curating less games. I'd rather have fewer games that hit the table more often than having a good discount on a game that might only get played a couple of times. That being said, I've seen 8 year olds who can hold their own playing Survive: Escape from Atlantis! and Small World, which challenges me to expand my view on what should be considered family games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the crate model is a good match for the hobby. I'd hypothesize that people usually want "that game" not just "some game". I don't think it's good or bad for the hobby it's own, but I do think it's a good bellwether that the hobby has reached the point where someone at Hasbro thinks this a reasonable idea. I'd be surprised if this service is still around in a couple of years, but I think that's a Hasbro issue not a hobby issue (and frankly, a pretty small Hasbro issue - I'd expect this is a very low-risk venture).

I could see smaller publishers (or maybe even larger publishers with distinct "lines") maybe doing this, but it would be more along the line of the Winsome set (minus the money orders), e.g. "send me everything you make / everything from this line for some kind of discount", but that's not really embracing the box model, which is more about the "ooh, what cool stuff did I get this time".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm skeptical it will succeed, but I think it is good for the hobby that they are trying.

The best thing is that the first crate will include Mask of Anubis (renamed Mask of the Pharaoh). So glad to see the game coming stateside... assuming it can be bought outside the crate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
Sounds like an attempt to sell stuff that otherwise nobody is buying.

In Hasbro terms, "everyone" is buying Monopoly, and "nobody" is buying (insert BGG game here). The crates look like attempts to expose non-gamers to games that aren't your run-of-the-mill mass-market games, hopefully *quality* ones that families will enjoy. In the last few years, I've noticed Hasbro trying out games beyond the "kiddie-only" stuff, perhaps because they've noticed that adults want to spend money on themselves, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
I'm skeptical it will succeed...

How would it fail?Hasbro and/or their distributors seem to be up to their eyeballs in overstock every year.

Maybe this unloads a bit of it ($50/3 and sold directly is a bit better for them than the fire sales), maybe it does little business and the crates themselves are a writeoff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing the contents I'll reserve my opinion for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
Blind crates are a fad now and sometime soon will be cut back to the hobbies it works for. I don't think gaming is one of them. This will just give a lot of people a collection that bloated with too much mediocre games. Many families that aren't into board gaming are that way because all they had were just blah games.
I do agree with Dianne's comment on if anyone will pull it off it will be hasbro.

+1

I will take it a step further and say that I think it is BAD for board gaming for just the reason you already mentioned: Families will buy this, experience a mediocre game, conclude all board games are this way, and not look at other titles. Perhaps these are families that are dabbling into "hobby games" and would enter the hobby if they just purchased a good gateway game title. A bad blind box will turn them off to the hobby.

I also agree that blind boxes don't work for board gaming. I own several titles that I didn't buy blind and found I dislike them (OK, so I did buy them with little to no research)...I can't imagine REALLY buying board games in a blind box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voice of Reason wrote:
mafman6 wrote:

+1

I will take it a step further and say that I think it is BAD for board gaming for just the reason you already mentioned: Families will buy this, experience a mediocre game, conclude all board games are this way, and not look at other titles. Perhaps these are families that are dabbling into "hobby games" and would enter the hobby if they just purchased a good gateway game title. A bad blind box will turn them off to the hobby.

I also agree that blind boxes don't work for board gaming. I own several titles that I didn't buy blind and found I dislike them (OK, so I did buy them with little to no research)...I can't imagine REALLY buying board games in a blind box.

Agreed.

The only way I see this being good is if all three games were actually great accessible games. Being Hasbro they can likely claim the later, but have no chance for the first part of that requirement.

All I see is this helping affirm some people's belief that games are only for children or simply pretty boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hasbro: Every 3 months, you will be charged $49.99 + shipping. If you need a break from all the fun, you can skip your delivery or cancel your subscription.

With these subscriptions, I wonder how easy it really is to cancel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this remides me of the magic the gathering loot crates that you can buy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
I think it reinforces the world view that boardgames are Risk, Monopoly, Game of Life and various lumps of plastic with batteries in them.

I think this leans in the direction of my opinion on the matter, but doesn't quite hit it.

The difficulty with the OPs question is that, IMHO, the board game hobby is not one hobby, but really two hobbies. A few years ago I was in possession of a Parker Brother board game that regularly sells for over $50 on E-bay, but here on BGG it took me over a year to find somebody who would buy it for $30. I was similarly surprised to learn that Five Year Mission has sold enough copies to warrant an expansion despite being widely panned by the BGG community. I have a coworker who consider herself board game enthusiasts and play games nearly every week, but in her mind board games are things like Cranium and Apples to Apples. They wont touch any of the designer board games that I enjoy. To mean, "mainstream" boardgaming is one hobby and "designer" boardgaming is different hobby. (I will concede that there is some overlap, but in my experience, its very slim.)

So going back to the OP's question, when you are asking if this is good for the hobby, my question becomes, which hobby? If you're talking about "our" hobby, probably not. As BlackSpy notes, you're not likely to even see a gateway like Carcasonne or Splendor show up in the Hasbro box, so its not going to change anyone's perception of designer boardgames or even attempt to introduce anyone to them. If you're asking is it good for the "mainstream" hobby... I don't really know, but I doubt it will make a difference either way. People who like Hasbro games probably already know what they are getting into. I have a hard time seeing a casual gamer getting excited over their product and subscribing. How likely are they to hear about it in the first place?

It may be worth adding to the conversation that Board Game Exchange has been available for I think four years now. Granted, it is a rental service and not a blind crate so its not the same thing. But the two are similar in that they allow users to try games they don't have to see if they like it. We haven't seen BGX have any impact on the gaming hobby, so I'm not sure why we would expect Hasbro box to be much different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
BlackSpy wrote:

I think this leans in the direction of my opinion on the matter, but doesn't quite hit it.

The difficulty with the OPs question is that, IMHO, the board game hobby is not one hobby, but really two hobbies. A few years ago I was in possession of a Parker Brother board game that regularly sells for over $50 on E-bay, but here on BGG it took me over a year to find somebody who would buy it for $30. I was similarly surprised to learn that Five Year Mission has sold enough copies to warrant an expansion despite being widely panned by the BGG community. I have a coworker who consider herself board game enthusiasts and play games nearly every week, but in her mind board games are things like Cranium and Apples to Apples. They wont touch any of the designer board games that I enjoy. To mean, "mainstream" boardgaming is one hobby and "designer" boardgaming is different hobby. (I will concede that there is some overlap, but in my experience, its very slim.)

So going back to the OP's question, when you are asking if this is good for the hobby, my question becomes, which hobby? If you're talking about "our" hobby, probably not. As BlackSpy notes, you're not likely to even see a gateway like Carcasonne or Splendor show up in the Hasbro box, so its not going to change anyone's perception of designer boardgames or even attempt to introduce anyone to them. If you're asking is it good for the "mainstream" hobby... I don't really know, but I doubt it will make a difference either way. People who like Hasbro games probably already know what they are getting into. I have a hard time seeing a casual gamer getting excited over their product and subscribing. How likely are they to hear about it in the first place?

It may be worth adding to the conversation that Board Game Exchange has been available for I think four years now. Granted, it is a rental service and not a blind crate so its not the same thing. But the two are similar in that they allow users to try games they don't have to see if they like it. We haven't seen BGX have any impact on the gaming hobby, so I'm not sure why we would expect Hasbro box to be much different.

That's interesting, I've never really come across someone like that, people that have been like that for a while as they enter a discovery phase, but not that stay like that for long.

Party games though, I guess you stay stuck on those. God I hate Cranium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing about these "blind boxes" is even though some folks here wouldn't do it (including yours truly... I prefer to know exactly what I'm getting once I exceed a certain price point, which currently, is low), some folks like getting a curated set of things. Assuming they discover what BGG.com is, or a related bg-ing site even for Hasbro products, they're just not interesting in investing time pouring through articles and online comments to research games.

BlackSpy wrote:
davypi wrote:
BlackSpy wrote:

That's interesting, I've never really come across someone like that, people that have been like that for a while as they enter a discovery phase, but not that stay like that for long.

Party games though, I guess you stay stuck on those. God I hate Cranium.

They definitely exist. Facebook put out an article/post called "top 100 board games according to BoardGameGeek.com". A thread on this General forum also linked to that. Wide variety of commentary for that article...
--"I've managed to play 2/3 | half | 1/3 of these!"
--I just got into the hobby, and only played a fraction of these games!
--I've never heard of ANY of these games! They all sound made up!
--I've never heard of ANY of these games, but I'll have to check them out!
--I've heard of Catan from (friend of friend/of family member/whatever)

The comment that provided the most entertainment was a lady who posted something to the effects of (I'm paraphrasing since it's from memory)...
"What kind of bs list is this!? I am the queen of board games, and I've never heard of these games! They're made up!"

Ahh, good times indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
"What kind of bs list is this!? I am the queen of board games, and I've never heard of these games! They're made up!"

Just imagine what their collections look like (yard sale waiting to happen....).

One of several eBay searches I have is for "lots" of games. The results are often scary. Like people have been emptying a Wal-Mart game aisle into their closet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine this will have any effect at all on "the hobby".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.