6 Posts

Pretending to Grownup» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unipegasaurus rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmbmb
"There is another possible turn order that goes around the table if anyone wants to add a Unipegasaurus card which could be played to win the round."

Uhhhh.... what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was confused by that as well.

My question actually stems from this rule in the rulebook. When exactly do you play these kind of cards? Some of them tell you when you'll want to play it, like after a player has already revealed their card or at the start of your turn. Others are not as specific, especially the cards that say that this counts as your turn. When do those cards get played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I examined all of the Unipegasaurus cards, and here's what I've learned.

The ones that say when to play them are explicit in their instructions.

Examples:
Quote:
"Space Unipegasaurus allows you to add 3 points onto any TIME value. This can be used even after opponents have shown their cards."
You can play this card before you reveal your face-down card in the Squabble OR after the cards have been flipped.

Quote:
"Sandwich Unipegasaurus allows you to change any 3 score into a 9 with his mighty sandwich powers. This can be used even after opponents have shown their card."
You can play this card before you reveal your face-down card in the Squabble OR after the cards have been flipped, but you must have a 3 in one of the resource scores in order for it to be used.

Quote:
"Street Performer Unipegasaurus inspires every player to give their entire hand of cards to the player to their right. [...] Use at start of your turn, does not use up a turn."
You can only play this card at the start of your turn to cause its effect. After its effect has been resolved, you then get a second action from the three default actions.

Quote:
"Ninja Unipegasaurus stealthily steals a point from another player.
[...] This card counts as a turn."
Because this card counts as a full turn, you can play this card instead of one of the normal actions. After playing this card, you cannot initiate a Squabble, Take On Responsibility (Draw 2 cards), or Daydream (take the meeple). You get a free point and then play moves on.

Pretty straight forward, right? Here are some of the problem ones...

Quote:
"Wizard Unipegasaurus allows you to magically combine the values of two cards for a larger score. You can still only claim one of the combined cards as a point afterwards. They also must be the same type (time, money or energy)."
Okay, so when do I play this card? Before or after the reveal?

Quote:
"Bicep Unipegasaurus allows you to squabble TWICE on your turn. This card does not take up a turn."
Okay, so you get two turns, essentially, before moving on to the next player. If playing this card doesn't act as a turn, then when do you play this card in order to declare "I get another turn!" during your turn? I'm assuming it is at the START of your turn for game flow, but what if someone plays it at the end of their turn? Is that a legal play?

Quote:
"Flirty Unipegasaurus allows you to use any resource value to defend against an opposing player. So you can use Money to defend against Time, for example."
Again, I'm assuming you play this after the cards in the Squabble have been flipped over, but do you play it during YOUR turn or do you play it during someone else's turn? Since it says "to defend against" in the text, I'm assuming you play it when you are challenged?

Quote:
"Radical Unipegasuarus impresses the other players so much that all other players must give you two of their cards. If you have over 10 cards, discard any extras."
Props for reiterating the hand limit rule from the rule book, but there's still a lot of assumptions here. First, I'm assuming playing this card counts as your turn, but it isn't explicitly said. My assumption is based on the "Take On Responsibility" action that you can pick during your turn, where you draw two cards. In this case, you don't draw two cards from the deck but gain two cards per player from your opponents. But who is to stop a player from initiating a Squabble after they've taken everyone's card if it doesn't state "This card counts as your turn."

The rule book does say this, however...
Quote:
"If multiple effects start stacking on top of each other and things get confusing, go with your grownup instincts on how it should affect the game."
So... I guess that means we decided when these cards are suppose to be played? I can see that getting very chaotic if people don't agree on house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill C
msg tools
The rules and order for the Unipeg is a little unclear, this is how we do it though.

- Play all squabble cards face down
- Starting with the player who started the squabble, go around the table playing Unipeg cards until no player can/wants to.
- Play any Unipeg cards that specifically say play after the reveal.

So in attempt to answer a few of your scenarios.... this is what WE would do.

ZeekSlider wrote:

Quote:
"Wizard Unipegasaurus allows you to magically combine the values of two cards for a larger score. You can still only claim one of the combined cards as a point afterwards. They also must be the same type (time, money or energy)."
Quote:
Okay, so when do I play this card? Before or after the reveal?

I would say this is before the reveal, seeing it doesn't say after reveal. (In your defense it doesn't say before either, but I don't believe any cards specify before reveal, which makes me think Unipeg cards are naturally suppose to be before reveal.)

Quote:
"Bicep Unipegasaurus allows you to squabble TWICE on your turn. This card does not take up a turn."
Quote:
Okay, so you get two turns, essentially, before moving on to the next player. If playing this card doesn't act as a turn, then when do you play this card in order to declare "I get another turn!" during your turn? I'm assuming it is at the START of your turn for game flow, but what if someone plays it at the end of their turn? Is that a legal play?

We played this as if you started the squabble, you get to squabble again if you played this card. If you played this card on someone else turn (ie. someone else started the squabble), it hangs out in front of you until it is your turn, then you have the option to squabble twice if you wish. (the cards says "allows", not "have to"

Quote:
"Flirty Unipegasaurus allows you to use any resource value to defend against an opposing player. So you can use Money to defend against Time, for example."
Quote:
Again, I'm assuming you play this after the cards in the Squabble have been flipped over, but do you play it during YOUR turn or do you play it during someone else's turn? Since it says "to defend against" in the text, I'm assuming you play it when you are challenged?

Under my assumption you play this card before reveal, but I think it's meant to give some one that has a 9 in Time and chance to surprise someone that played an 8 in Money, it's a bit of a gamble.... but it's also super powerful if you ask me as you can use any 9 to squabble with. I would also say you can use it on anyones turn. Regardless of who started the squabble you are still defending your claim to have more of a resource. Plus, it does not say "only on your turn" or anything of the like.

Quote:
"Radical Unipegasuarus impresses the other players so much that all other players must give you two of their cards. If you have over 10 cards, discard any extras."
Quote:
Props for reiterating the hand limit rule from the rule book, but there's still a lot of assumptions here. First, I'm assuming playing this card counts as your turn, but it isn't explicitly said. My assumption is based on the "Take On Responsibility" action that you can pick during your turn, where you draw two cards. In this case, you don't draw two cards from the deck but gain two cards per player from your opponents. But who is to stop a player from initiating a Squabble after they've taken everyone's card if it doesn't state "This card counts as your turn."

If it doesn't say it counts as your turn, I wouldn't make that assumption. Super powerful card for sure.

Id' also like to state that I do not have the cards in front of me, so when answering these questions I'm assuming the cards say exactly what you said they say. I hope this helps, and please let me know if you think differently. I'm not the creator of the game and do not know "the correct answer" so I'm open to anyones opinions and interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Ballon Landa
Peru
Lima
Lima
flag msg tools
mb
I´m about to buy this game as a filler game..Is it possible to play with more than 4 players? Also I had an idea to add reference cards + be permitted to squabble with anyone you want if you have the unipegasaurus. I´m just crazy or anyone thought about it? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill C
msg tools
It COULD be a great filler game, but honestly every time I play this there is a new question (basic questions like, "play order") that are not addressed at all in the rules. I was hoping the creators would have followed up with an updated rule book by now to clarify things, but haven't seen it yet and doesn't seem like that's going to happen. They have our money and So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.