Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Quest 4 difficulty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've started a 2-player game campaign and except 2 wrong played Prologue's where we restarted (wrong rules), it went smoothly until we hit quest 4. We used same 2 heroes, Thorgar (Soul Rank 3) and Tristan (Soul Rank 2).

We restarted twice and we decided next time we'll just go with the flow. The difficulty seems much higher than previous scenarios. Details and question below under spoiler

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When reaching out to the Red Orc Warrior along with the Blue Orc Shaman, basically it hit us so hard that even with the healing 4 HP ability from Thorgar, Tristan died in the first run. So we restarted.

Second run we tried letting Thorgar in front for the first encounter as he had 8 HP opposed to 6 HP from Tristan. It went better, we managed to kill both and of course, the Red Orc Warrior was very tough and we used 1 Healing potion and 4 HP healing from Thorgar, but we got out with 5 wounds each.

We didn't had patience to wait a few turns so that Thorgar's healing ability refreshes to heal some of the 5 wounds and when we uncovered the 2 shadows further down, during the next encounter Tristan ultimately died after 2 attacks, being the preferred victim

Are we not playing it right in terms that it is normal to die and lose a soul rank during the campaign? Are we looking wrong at the difficulty level having the expectations not to die at all during the campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did manage this scenario without dying, but it wasn't trivial. I think there are many factors that affect difficulty. We did use a fair amount of expendable items, as I recall---but we can afford to rebuy them. If you try to conserve your money then you're more likely to lose Soul Points, which I think are more valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you may have a point here. We have a lot of money just because the items are not helping us too much. But we've pretty much ignored the consumables, which probably wasn't the best idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to consumables, don't forget about forged equipment. It only lasts for one quest, but extra guaranteed hits or armor can go a long way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. Actually we have used our money for this during the last 2 quests. So we had the items forged during our runs in quest 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Consumables all the way. Totes critical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rault wrote:
Good point. Actually we have used our money for this during the last 2 quests. So we had the items forged during our runs in quest 4.

I'm not sure I understand this post. You do understand that if you forge your equipment for quest 3, then at the end of quest 3 it's no longer forged and if you want it to be forged for quest 4 then you have to pay again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do understand. And this what I did at the beginning of every quest since quest 3. I meant that I had the weapons and armors forged when I started quest 4, meaning I've paid the cost for each item at the beginning of the quest 4 again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
efren almenglo
Spain
flag msg tools
You can't do that at quest 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's because you have fought only humans and gremlins until now... orcs are a different story devil
Joking apart, with a sound strategy in a combination with the right items, you can achieve any quest! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true. It really seems that the difficulty stacks up once you go through the quests. And Orcs are more difficult indeed .

I already see that we haven't used the consumables so much.

But it's a really nice game and I like that this kind of challenges exist, where you need to plan your moves better and not depending 100 % on the rolls. Otherwise the game would've been to easy .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had players calling the game a bit on the easy side.

Then the first Orc hit them like a train and those remarks somehow stopped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:

I would like this was true... the reality is that some of them hang the game in the middle to hurry up here and there writing on the walls:
"this game is not balanced"
or
"it is poorly designed"

I'm joking guys... more or less
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:

I would like this was true... the reality is that some of them hang the game in the middle to hurry up here and there writing on the walls:
or
"it is poorly designed"

I actually find the opposite true. It was quite easy until now and now I find it more challenging and rewarding .

Anyway, it also depends which heroes / powers / items you choose and you can scale the experience / difficulty ranging from easy at the beginning and hard at the end to quite opposite. At least this is my impression so far.

I've taken the first path it seems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matzer
United States
WAKE FOREST
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The red orc battle was by far the longest battle so far. I was not sure I could win with only two characters against it. He had a special power of heal +2 HP every time phase. So each full round I caused a little more damage and eventually whittled away his HP. Best battle yet. I think it took me four or five rounds to complete.

Simone, I think this is a fun game. Thank you for making it. In some ways it brings me back to my youth and playing D&D solo. When playing solo D&D there was no role play and I would just go from battle to battle. The fun for me was building my character and acquiring loot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the event deck is really short for this quest.

If the Night event card is revealed, the heroes lose, right?

I don't understand how there's enough time to:

1) beat the red orc
2) head to the story event
3) get all the heroes to the right waypoint
4) defeat any enemies along the way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doncho Kotasov
Bulgaria
Plovdiv
flag msg tools
This quest is so good and fun. And my win ratio is so bad..

Am I playing it right? For the info I get from the secret book,do I get to shuffle red orc and blue shaman cards into the enemy deck, that I prepped at the beginning of the scenario? This happens after red orc dies and the instructions that follows.
Last game I played I lost in the last round, and lost by event deck depletion.
I had to beat the red orc twice during the quest, and loved it, but it's so hard..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caio Assad
Brazil
flag msg tools
Simone Romano wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:

or
"it is poorly designed"

I really think that people who claims that the game is easy is playing wrong, or went in only 1 run with extremelly good luck in dices and treasure cards.
I think the difficulty is just right. The most important to me, is that I have a lot of fun playing with friends and alone (and die a lot, I have serious luck problems with Attack Dices)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It depends. There are a lot of factors that can make the game easier or harder. For example, if you forget to use the enemies' powers, that can make it much easier. Also, if you get good weapons from the Treasure deck, that can make it much easier. I also think playing with four heroes is significantly easier than three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Silver
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We plowed through the red orc easily. I guess it depends for each party and what equipment you have. By scenario 4 you should be swimming in gold and have 5 to 6 magic weapons. Our ranger just one showed him after he got koed by another player. Overall the game has been easy so we are thinking of starting to spawn enemies for 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damianos Theodoropoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
In a weird turn of events, Quest 4 was the first one that we did not suffer any death , i think not even a major threat of dying.
But we didn't search all waypoints, we avoided the last one since we found the exit and we were not sure that we will have more than enough time to do it safely before the event deck runs out

The party was lawful Ecarus,Thorgar,Auriel. It was a great run but it was the first Quest that seemed
anticlimactic (not sure if it is the correct word). The toughest fights were on the beginning, and the end of the quest did not have any battle... Which is not bad , but different than the previous scenarios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.