Hide
8 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Box packing - everything edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E J
msg tools
Several people have been mentioning that they have found ways to get everything including full OS2 products into just the base game box. Could people post methods, pictures, etc to help out fellow players? As we all know, transport is the weak spot of Cthulhu Wars.

*Please note if you are using a first or second printing box. The box was shrunk slightly after first printing, so this is important to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
msg tools
This is a serious thread to help people out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Void2258 wrote:
Several people have been mentioning that they have found ways to get everything including full OS2 products into just the base game box. Could people post methods, pictures, etc to help out fellow players? As we all know, transport is the weak spot of Cthulhu Wars.

*Please note if you are using a first or second printing box. The box was shrunk slightly after first printing, so this is important to know.

I have my base box from first edition packed to the top with these items:
* 3-5 player earth map and 6-8 player earth map
* Hardcover omega rulebook
* plastic gates
* 4 sets of combat dice (2 green and 2 red)
* Special faction dice
* First player figure of Lovecraft with the lantern
* Punchboard faction sheets and doom tracks
* Plastic ritual of annihilation marker
* 7 playable factions in ziplock bags.

No insert to protect the great old ones. I don't have any neutrals, independent great old one, map expansions, monsters, terrors. I can't fit the Tcho Tchos in there either.

In order to fit this all in it is like playing Tetris. I have to carefully put everything in order, to the point where I fill in gaps between gates with the dice. The factions are in ziplock bags. I leave the bags open and gently shake the box in order for the pieces to settle below the box top.

Based on how much work it is to pack the box and use every bit of space, I don't see how anyone is able to fit more. It doesn't seem physically possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Reeser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:

Based on how much work it is to pack the box and use every bit of space, I don't see how anyone is able to fit more. It doesn't seem physically possible.

I'll bet it can be done--but you'd have to use a box that incorporates non-Euclidean angles whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dennett
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Always play to win, don't care if you lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:
Void2258 wrote:

I have my base box from first edition packed to the top with these items:
* 3-5 player earth map and 6-8 player earth map
* Hardcover omega rulebook
* plastic gates
* 4 sets of combat dice (2 green and 2 red)
* Special faction dice
* First player figure of Lovecraft with the lantern
* Punchboard faction sheets and doom tracks
* Plastic ritual of annihilation marker
* 7 playable factions in ziplock bags.

No insert to protect the great old ones. I don't have any neutrals, independent great old one, map expansions, monsters, terrors. I can't fit the Tcho Tchos in there either.

In order to fit this all in it is like playing Tetris. I have to carefully put everything in order, to the point where I fill in gaps between gates with the dice. The factions are in ziplock bags. I leave the bags open and gently shake the box in order for the pieces to settle below the box top.

This is almost exactly what I did, with a few exceptions:
- no hardcover book (I own it, but can't get it to fit), only the thin manuals
- 16 regular plastic gates, and each faction has its colored gate (enough for a 5 player game)
- I made a cardboard protector out of one of the OS2 boxes to go over the factions boards and game boards, as I did put a slight dent in one before doing so
- I can fit the Tcho Tchos as well, so all 8 factions

Once I've set my "base" of the non miniatures, the GOO tetris begins. Maybe if I'm feeling industrious I'll post some pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Void2258 wrote:
This is a serious thread to help people out.

Really?

Void2258 wrote:
Several people have been mentioning that they have found ways to get everything including full OS2 products into just the base game box

As confirmed byt the posters above, it's just impossible to put everything including OS2 in the base box. Whatever it's the 1st or second print run box.
Simple laws of geometry. The volume greatly exceeds the container.
The only way is to compress the plastic minis into more compact things (cubic or flat). Hence the hydraulic press.
So I was serious, in a way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
it's just impossible to put everything including OS2 in the base box. Whatever it's the 1st or second print run box.
Simple laws of geometry. The volume greatly exceeds the container.
The only way is to compress the plastic minis into more compact things

Or to expand the box.

OP - would an insert that effectively raises the height of the box base be acceptable? Or would it be too offensive to have the box lid not sit all the way down to the bottom of the box?

Asking as I've done this type of thing (in foam core) for other games (such as Arkham Horror: Living Card Game) and it can work well.

Note that I've not tried for CW as I've no interest in even trying to fit everything into a single box, just into a more manageable number/volume of boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.