Hide
7 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing with Horrors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Lueck
msg tools
I am curious to know how other people play with horrors (aside from the using them as specified in scheme twists and epic mastermind masterstrikes). I recently played a game in which I added 5 random horrors to the villain deck (among using them as the scheme twist called for and things got difficult very quickly). Has anyone tried playing them whenever a scheme twist or regular masterstrikes is drawn (as an additional step) and if so how did that game go? Additionally it is my understanding that horrors are permanent once they are played (eg mastermind +2 damage applies for the rest of the game), but this again could be adjusted using different house rules.
Just wondering how others are using this new dynamic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McManus
United States
Saraland
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure who it was but an official Upperdeck person came on here and said that they aren't meant to be added to the villain deck you just draw them at the beginning of the game. If it has ambush it happens immediately and is over if it doesn't have ambush it is an ongoing affect. You choose how many you want to start the game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's probably all sorts of ways to use them, but yeah, Mark suggested picking some out to use from the very start, randomly or otherwise, to increase the difficulty.

I like how some of the Epic Masterminds play one when you do a Strike. I'm definitely doing that with the Core Masterminds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using Growing Threat for my Golden Solo campaign (plus Final Blow), but I think I may replace that with a Random Horror instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Diehl
United States
Junction City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
The eerie war chant emanating from the morning fog set chills down every spine. "Lah, lah, la lah, lah, lah."
mbmbmbmbmb
What we've been doing is using them with the base set masterminds. After finishing a tactic we draw a random horror. Each time you hit them, they get a little meaner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
jam37wcc wrote:
Not sure who it was but an official Upperdeck person came on here and said that they aren't meant to be added to the villain deck you just draw them at the beginning of the game. If it has ambush it happens immediately and is over if it doesn't have ambush it is an ongoing affect. You choose how many you want to start the game with.

The rule book is not clear when or how to play them. When I got the expansion and saw that some had ambush effects that seemed clear to me that you play them in the villain deck because that is where ambush effects take place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwick503 wrote:
jam37wcc wrote:

The rule book is not clear when or how to play them. When I got the expansion and saw that some had ambush effects that seemed clear to me that you play them in the villain deck because that is where ambush effects take place.

You could put them in the Villain deck if you want, but MarkUD confirmed that they are not intended to be used that way.

The reason that some of the say Ambush is because they have an immediate effect, where as ones that don't say it have an ongoing effect that will impact game play. Hope this clears that up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.