Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some questions I recently answered from players.

"No mention of rail movement limits."

That is because there is no rail movement. Grierson had destroyed the rear and Rebel railcars were too busy bringing in supplies and troops from elsewhere.

"Victory point rule is confusing. Confederates given VP marker but rules say only union earns VP."

No Union gets VP. Ignore Rebel VP marker.

"What exactly constitutes a 'block' for the confederate instant victory. Is Grant a block? I assume the cavalry is a block. What about a corps. Is eliminating XIII Corps one block or three? If three, that seems to make the 2-corps condition redundant as all federal corps are comprised of at least two blocks."

In this case blocks should be understood as units, which includes Herron, Grant, Garrison, etc.

"Trench markers cost 3 movement points to place according to the Pemberton & Grant rules, but in Grant's Gamble it cost only 2 movement points. Is this correct or was there a typo?"

No. Neither army was as adept at erecting field fortifications as they were in Virginia in 1864.

"Section 8.1 The Port Hudson Box. If the Confederate player evacuates Port Hudson on turn 4, the second thing that happens reads "Johnston and Pemberton have their Army Commander Ratings lowered to 8. The army command rating bonus is or has been Union occupied". I don't understand the second statement. Can you please clarify what it means?"

It is a typo. It should read "This bonus is lost if Crystal Springs is ever occupied."

"On Turn 3 which Units can the Union place during his reinforcement turn? And how many victory points do these units cost? (Besides the cost of the ones described in the paragraphs below the box.) Also on Turn 2 he gets XVII but there is no cost listed, and no cost listed for Garrisons."

There is no VP cost for XV, XVII, and the Garrison. XV arrives on turn 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob James
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there river movement for troops, like attacking where enemy is or moving to a port or non Port without enemy in location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really Bob outside of the initial landings and reinforcements. I had some rules for it but it got too complicated. Also, once the fleet landed troops, supplying the armies became the number 1 priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Falkson
msg tools
Sean, can you please clarify your previous answers. There is no rail or river movement in Permberton & Grant? Those sections in the base rules should be ignored? Is regular movement along the rail lines still allowed though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mokman wrote:
Sean, can you please clarify your previous answers. There is no rail or river movement in Permberton & Grant? Those sections in the base rules should be ignored? Is regular movement along the rail lines still allowed though?

There is no rail or river movement and yes regular movement along rail is fine as always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Miller
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
I am still unclear on the Confederate automatic victory conditions. The rules state, "If the Union loses 2 corps or 4 blocks the Confederate player automatically wins." Seems like the 2 corps condition is superfluous. For example if the XV corps has been eliminated (3 blocks total) along with one block of the XIII corps, that adds up to 4 blocks total--an automatic Confederate victory. The rules should simply state that 4 blocks eliminated is an automatic victory and leave out the confusing condition of 2 corps eliminated.

Am I missing something here? Please clarify.

Jim Miller

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 whole corps, that means all he blocks of that corps. It is my favorite way to win as the CSA. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Miller
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
I am sorry, but the rule is still unclear to me. If the union loses 2 blocks from the XIII corps and 2 blocks from the XV corps, although neither corps is eliminated, that still adds up to 4 blocks. The rule state, "If the Union player loses ... 4 blocks, the Confederate player automatically wins." In other words, the 2 corps condition is superfluous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dracorex wrote:
I am sorry, but the rule is still unclear to me. If the union loses 2 blocks from the XIII corps and 2 blocks from the XV corps, although neither corps is eliminated, that still adds up to 4 blocks. The rule state, "If the Union player loses ... 4 blocks, the Confederate player automatically wins." In other words, the 2 corps condition is superfluous.

2 whole corps must be destroyed. 4 blocks means destroyed corps plus Grant, Herron, Cavalry, and/or Garrison unit.

Apologies for that being lost on translation. If it were only 4 blocks of any kind the CSA would win 99% of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I am limited, but I am still not sure about the Confederate automatic victory. The rulebook says:
"If the Union loses 2 corps or 4 blocks the Confederate player automatically wins."

After Sean's explanations above, I understand that:
- If the Union loses 2 corps (all the blocks of each corps are lost) = Confederate win
- If the Union loses 4 units (better use "unit" here rather than "block") = Confederate win
4 units could be = 1 corps (all the blocks of the corps are lost) + 3 other units (Grant, Cavalry, Garrison and/or Herron).

Please, confirm that this is correct.

Edit: I have just found a confirmation to this in another thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1829485/rules-questions-aft...
So YES, I am correct.

One last question: the rules say that the Garrison unit is the only one that may be replaces after being eliminqated. If it is eliminated, but later reconstructed using replacements, does it count as one of the 4 eliminated units for a Confederate victory?

Thanks!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentilhombre wrote:
One last question: the rules say that the Garrison unit is the only one that may be replaces after being eliminqated. If it is eliminated, but later reconstructed using replacements, does it count as one of the 4 eliminated units for a Confederate victory?

Thanks!

David

Yes. So if destroyed twice the Rebels have 2 VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
Yes. So if destroyed twice the Rebels have 2 VP.

Thanks for your fast answer!
Confederates do not obtain VP, so I presume that you refer to the 4 blocks (units) that must be lost by the Union player for a Confederate automatic victory.

As you say, if the Union Garrison unit is eliminated, it counts as 1 eliminated block. If later it is rebuilt with replacements, and it is eliminated again, it counts as an eliminated block again (for a total of 2 lost Union blocks).

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.