Hide
4 Posts

Renegade» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Switches, fireworks, and floods....oh my! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
Tilda's run against Alpha-Moby did not go well this evening, it seemed like Alpha-Moby knew my every move, and was always one step ahead, setting me up for trap after trap.

I tried to defeat the first countermeasure by luring sparks onto partitions on four different servers. I thought I was decentralizing the sparks so I could later make my move. Unfortunately when I failed to lure all of the sparks, Alpha revealed his true intent and turned all of the sparks into guardians. Going from zero to three guardians in an instant wasn't a good sign (the Double Switch countermeasure is a nasty copper!).

After that I tried to build a new base of strength by creating a propagator and generating some viruses. This turned out to be another trap. As soon as I had the propagator running Alpha surrounded it with sparks (the Fireworks countermeasure success isn't much of a success).

I ended up fighting a guardian, and losing one of my three viruses. Knowing the guardian would eat my viruses for lunch, I used some stored up cognition to push the two viruses to another partition so I could use them in a later battle. Live to fight another day, and all that.

Unfortunately this lead to the end of my run, as I was stuck on the partition with the guardian. Alpha dispatched yet another spark, and everything cascaded from there: one guardian after another forming around me (spark explosions) until my run came to an end.

I came to sitting in front of my deck and could almost here Mr. Moby laughing his artificial laugh at me over the network.

---
I was pretty sure my game was over after I failed at Double Switch and had three guardians after the copper countermeasure. But I figured I would play it out and see what happened.

The game leads to a very interesting narrative even once you know you are sunk, so it was totally worth playing right to the end, even though I knew I was toast.

I can't wait to back this tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Double-switch is a sneaky one! It looks like an easy problem to solve, but you have to watch how you play it.

Better luck next time 'Prospect' !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
I thought it was going to be extra easy because I was playing Tilda so could carry a spark around with me.

I got a little ahead of myself and paid the price

When I first read the rules, other than neural hubs, I didn't give much value to the cognition contaminants.

The more I play, the more important and sneaky I realize green is, and how helpful the shift mechanism is.

I also have to figure out how to get more contaminants and installations on the game board...I am not giving myself enough assets to work with, especially by the gold countermeasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb

You're seeing the strategy already! good work!

Maximising those hands, completing goals efficiently and early, leaving time to develop your run on the network is key to consistent success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.