Subject: Anything similar to this out there? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Moran
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,
I've been working on a concept for an abstract board game that is based off of ancient roman warfare styled battle tactics. It starts with a card draft to determine your units, then plays using a sort of hidden/program movement to command your units, and each general does this simultaneously. The object is to position your units correctly in relation to your opponents in order to take them out while suffering minimal casualties.

I am still very new to BGG, but have been playing games for years and have just recently discovered this site. I've been toying with different game concepts and themes in my head for a while and this is the first one that I've started to develop into what will hopefully be an awesome game. What I really need to know is if this game already exists, or what games that I don't know of are similar to it. Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard!

It doesn't really matter if a similar game exists. You can't patent an idea.

What I would suggest however is that you spend a bit of time here researching the enormous array of games listed in this database and asking lots of questions - most people here are more than willing to offer their advice and guidance.

But the best way you will grow as a designer is to play as many different types of games as possible and expanding your 'gaming vocabulary' - this exposure will demonstrate the vast depth and breadth of game mechanisms, themes and methods involved in game design and hopefully make you a better designer.

Don't be too scared about anyone stealing your game - ideas really are a dime a dozen. Turning them into a viable game is an entirely different matter and that's where all the hard work comes into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome. In my head I am thinking a 2-player mash up of Blood Rage opening drafting part but with the tactical war game style phased combat with hidden movement selection of games like Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game except you get to do all the combat & visual awesome sauce of stuff like A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game – Stark vs Lannister Starter Set. I guess basically any tabletop wargame with simple rules like Star Wars: Armada except instead of pre-building your fleets you're saying you draft for them. Well at least that's what I'm imagining from your brief description.

Hang on what do you mean by Abstract? Is it more like moving discs around that have drafted movement / combat actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moran
United States
California
flag msg tools
abstract like chess, where the different units have specific advantages/disadvantages and the winner is the one who can plan ahead and best utilize their troop movement to outflank their opponent. You basically got it except the discs will most likely be cards that can be upgraded during combat for more strength, health, etc. it would be played on a large square grid like chess as well, but probably bigger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moran
United States
California
flag msg tools
thanks for the advise! I have definitely been trying to play a bigger variety of games rather than just the ones I own and the types I like to play. Sometimes its difficult because I have an unconventional work schedule so finding people to play with is a real struggle. I have been able to play 3 new games this past two weeks though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are numerous games that encompass some of these mechanisms but in various forms.

Off the top of my head, a few worth investigating are:

Hera and Zeus is a 2-player card game in which players secretly deploy their cards in a grid to battle each other.

Battle Line or Schotten Totten is a favourite of mine, an incredibly simple, yet so incredibly elegant 2-player card game that uses poker style hands to battle against your opponent.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation is a 2-player Stratego style secret unit deployment game that is very enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Sounds like it incorporates a lot of very cool concepts I've seen used in other games, as others have mentioned. I don't think I know of any game with quite the combination of concepts you've described. I do like the sound of it though! Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
agree with the above posts - anything you do will always have your own take on it and those differences in how we interpret a theme, or a mechanic are what make for novel combinations

definitely sounds interesting - will keep an eye on what you come up with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, it makes me sort of think of Battleground: Fantasy Warfare a bit. It uses cards instead of miniatures, but you choose your orders at the beginning of the battle and the cards carry it out automatcally. If you wish to change those orders after the battle starts you can do so by spending some of your command points.

It's an intresting game...we'll worth the cost of getting into if you like the idea of large scale wargames like warhammer but don't want to spend the big bucks to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.