Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey guys and girls

Since I have all the exclusives abominations and the boss pack, I am considering using a different method of spawning abominations altogether.

Instead of shuffling in the cards of each abomination into the draw deck, I will have a separate deck with ONE card of each abomination, and everytime the standard abomination gets drawn we will draw a random card from the separate deck and spawn that abomination.

If another abomination card is drawn while the current is not killed yet he will get an extra activation, bringing the gameplay more in line with the base game, and hopefully harder

Does this make sense? Are there pitfalls to doing it like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I do and it works fine. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Sunday, we had a custom scenario using two 6 tile maps connected by the vaults. On the first map, we generated two random spawns of Bosses, using a separate deck, after the second and third big buildings were breached. On the 2nd map we also had triggers for spawning two more random bosses. Regular and wolf abominations were spawned as usual from cards in the primary spawn deck. I like to use anything that will achieve my objectives for each custom scenario I create.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmb
Spawn triggers on the map is a cool idea. I haven't played all the official quests yet, but looking forward to discovering all the custom ones here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Manoni
Italy
Briosco
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xavierjackson wrote:
Hey guys and girls

Since I have all the exclusives abominations and the boss pack, I am considering using a different method of spawning abominations altogether.

Instead of shuffling in the cards of each abomination into the draw deck, I will have a separate deck with ONE card of each abomination, and everytime the standard abomination gets drawn we will draw a random card from the separate deck and spawn that abomination.

If another abomination card is drawn while the current is not killed yet he will get an extra activation, bringing the gameplay more in line with the base game, and hopefully harder ;)

Does this make sense? Are there pitfalls to doing it like this?

We play with the same rules but with an exception: each time we have to spawn an abomination we roll a d6, if the result is 5 or 6 we draw a special boss abomination card and spawn that abomination, otherwise we spawn a standard abomination as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hmm. I can see why that dice would be necessary since there is no way to spawn the normal abomination otherwise. Or is there another way to get around this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
xavierjackson wrote:
Hmm. I can see why that dice would be necessary since there is no way to spawn the normal abomination otherwise. Or is there another way to get around this?

This is basically what we do also (roll the die, but generally only spawn specials on a 6). The nice thing about this method is that you can vary the frequency of standard Abominations by adjusting the die roll needed to spawn the "Bosses".

However, there is another method, which requires printing custom cards or substituting other cards for Abomination spawns. There are already fan-made custom Standard Abomination spawn cards to be found (poke around the forums). Or, you can use alt language cards to represent the standard Abominations--regardless, just put the additional cards into your Abomination deck with a number reflecting the frequency of Standard Abominations you want.

As a side note, this is essentially what we do with Necromancers as well.

Another variation I have been thinking about (but have yet to test), is making a "Special Encounter" deck made up of Abominations, Deadeyes, Necromancers, Wolves, and NPCs.

Whenever an Abomination comes up on a Standard spawn card, just draw off of the "Special" deck.

For me, this would be a way to vary what comes up as unusual encounters for games where I'm teaching new players and want to keep things manageable but introduce the occasional fly in the ointment.

Regardless, the D6 and an Abomination side deck is very effective in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about doing this but with NPCs and other spawn cards added to the deck it felt too easy so I added 3 of each special abomination cards to the deck, start with the figures in the box, and when you draw a non-standard abom you spawn that abomination only if the figure is not in the box. If it is in the box you put it next to the table say 'the Ratbomination has been spotted' and draw a new card for that spawn.

Each special abomination can spawn twice on the first pass through the deck, but special abominations tend to spawn later in the game. Also thinking about doing the same for necros...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Salas
Spain
Córdoba
flag msg tools
Buenas chicos. He creado un sistema para introducir las abominaciones en juego en vez de introducir directamente las cartas de cada una en el mazo de zombis. Con la llegada del GH y sobre todo a los participantes del KS, se van a encontrar con una cantidad enorme de abominaciones que introducir en la partida. La idea es mantener un mazo aparte con las abominaciones e introducir en el mazo de zombis unas carta (el número depende de la dificultad que queráis darle a la partida) que cuando aparezca robamos del de abominaciones para ver cual aparece.

Con los Nigromantes he creado una similar. Introducimos 6 cartas de Nigromante en el mazo de zombis y el resto lo mantenemos aparte, para luego ver cual de ellos aparece.

Por supuesto todas estas mecánicas y cartas es si posees alguno más de los que trae el core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.