Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: I think we need new terms to cover just what Gloomhaven is. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaign just isn't enough, legacy isn't valid.

I propose 3 possibilities:

MegaCampaign, as it takes 50+ scenarios
Sessional, as it's a game played across many sessions
Progressive, as progress is slow rather than instant.

MegaCampaign and Sessional also cover Kingdom Death: Monster
Sessional and Progressive also cover Shadowrun: Crossfire(and thus Dragonfire)
Sessional, at least, also covers 7th Continent.

As newer and larger games continue to be developed and released, more defining terms invariably are needed to be able to label them quickly. I think calling Gloomhaven a Progressive game would be the most valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It never gets stale and whenever I'm playing anything else I'd sooner be playing Gloomhaven 90 hours and counting (and... breathe)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Euro and RPG aren't useful terms either.

I think perhaps Legacy Worldbuilder or something along those lines... I think legacy does imply a large campaign style game with permanent changes, but we just hadn't seen it applied to a dungeon crawler yet, and of course it's light legacy in the sense that you aren't tearing up components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a game, it's fun, that's enough relevant terms for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I'm not sure what makes "campaign" insufficient?

It's a really, really big one for sure but no bigger than a lot of RPG campaigns and a lot smaller than Campaign for North Africa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'gloomhaven' is the term! All future games of this ilk shall be known as 'gloomhavenites'. So decreeith a random stranger on the internet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go with "Gloomy"

Sufficiently divorced from the original title to be its own thing yet has obvious references and honours the first.

I can see Rahdo right now saying "that's far more Gloomy than Ameri-trash..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
TAG SCD

Tactical Adventure Game... with... Slow Character Development

I think Legacy might still be a good name for it. That term just got coined recently and maybe hasn't reached it's full definition yet? I don't think a game has to work exactly like Pandemic Legacy to be called a Legacy game.

What about a PCD Game? Player Chosen Development. That pretty accurately describes how the game and characters progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a dungeon crawl. A DC with card driven combat, leveling, and a campaign tying together the scenarios. It is the best example of one, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
Roll Damn Tide!
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
In reference to other recent threads, I just beg you.. PLEASE don't call it a limited RPG. XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
BeardedOne wrote:
In reference to other recent threads, I just beg you.. PLEASE don't call it a limited RPG. XD

Well, of course not, RPGs are just an extremely limited version of Gloomhaven whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tsang
United Kingdom
Claverton, Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonbaz77 wrote:
It's a dungeon crawl. A DC with card driven combat, leveling, and a campaign tying together the scenarios. It is the best example of one, though.

Ahh, the ol' CDCDC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da5idt wrote:
jasonbaz77 wrote:

Ahh, the ol' CDCDC.

CDCDC = Card Driven Combat Dungeon Crawl ?
So Gloomhaven and Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift are the two games in that category, correct?
But Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift has multiple mini-campaigns, while Gloomhaven has an extended multi-character (including character retirement) campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me a legacy game is a game where you make permanent changes to the components so Gloomhaven qualifies. Admittedly it is less so than e.g. Pandemic Legacy but if that bothers you just call it a dungeon crawler 'with legacy elements'.

No reason to start defining entire new genres for this. Compare it with Mage Knight which has 'deck building elements' but is not really a deck builder (or if you think Mage Knight is a true deck builder, I'm sure there are other examples).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Heidenreich

Palm Bay
Florida
msg tools
Campaign is fine. We call rpg campaigns "campaigns" and some people have been playing them for 20 years, so I don't think length needs to be a factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tekar wrote:
For me a legacy game is a game where you make permanent changes to the components so Gloomhaven qualifies. Admittedly it is less so than e.g. Pandemic Legacy but if that bothers you just call it a dungeon crawler 'with legacy elements'.

No reason to start defining entire new genres for this. Compare it with Mage Knight which has 'deck building elements' but is not really a deck builder (or if you think Mage Knight is a true deck builder, I'm sure there are other examples).

Interestingly, while both GH and PL apply changes to their components, I feel the biggest thing for a Legacy game is that the *rules* change over the course of play.

Gloomhaven's rules don't change. (Other than some classes having different quirks or rules that others don't. Think Mindthief Augments for an example... Or Scoundrel's 'enemy adjacency'.)

If you'll notice, PL, Risk Legacy, and SeaFall all change components, yes, but that change includes Rules Changes.

Strictly speaking, there are two Rule Changes in Gloomhaven (that I know of so far.) One of which is non-spoiler, because it's in the rulebook: Enhancements. The other is a spoiler, and I'm pretty sure most people that have progressed in the campaign know what I'm talking about, since it's relatively easy to just stumble across in normal play. I won't mention it otherwise.

Certain vague hints lead me to believe there might be a third Rules Change unlock, but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.