Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is my entry for the 2017 Solitaire PnP Contest
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1787772/2017-solitaire-prin....

This is a ninja card game created for the younger players (6+) in easy mode, but on normal difficulty it should be challenging enough to trouble even younger players born in 1987 or before it.

Player uses Hero Cards in order to break through the horde of minions and sidekicks, trying to eliminate two villains. No book keeping, dice or counters needed.

Playing time: 15 minutes per game.

Components:

Rulebook - greyscale
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_68vh2U4DoKbU9la0NiSVJhZj...
4 pages of mini size cards (38 enemy cards and 18 hero cards) - greyscale
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_68vh2U4DoKQUh5RUQ0Uk1hWj...

Categories:
Best Game by a Returning Designer
Most Innovative Mechanic
Best Game Playable on an Airline Seat Tray
Best Easy to Build Game
Best grayscale/low ink printing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Sieja
Poland
flag msg tools
Re: [WIP] TMNT 1987 JUNIOR CARD GAME Entry for 2017 Solitaire PnP Competition - components ready
Hello, according to the contest rules:
"Designers must be legally able to release their game, including the artwork. Artwork should be specifically designed for the game, public domain, or released under a Creative Commons license. When using Creative Commons artwork, please credit the original artist in your rules. Designers must receive permission from the rights holder to use artwork protected by copyright. Games violating copyright may be disqualified from the contest."

I believe that the statement "Game was created by fan and for fans. All copyrights belong to their respective owners." might not be enough to legally get this game into the contest. Maybe you could change graphics for the contest purposes, so it does not violate the abovementioned rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] TMNT 1987 JUNIOR CARD GAME Entry for 2017 Solitaire PnP Competition - components ready
Since the theme is pasted-on, you could easily change this to a generic superhero theme, or any fantasy setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And you can get free art at several sources online, like

- Game-Icons http://game-icons.net/
- Open Game Art http://opengameart.org/
- Public Domain Clip Art http://www.pdclipart.org/

It might not be as sexy as the real turtles, but should do well for the contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all.
Today I will upload new version of the game, low ink, using icons from Game-Icons as I did in previous years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New version uploaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Sieja
Poland
flag msg tools
Haha, I love the references :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oczywiscie, nie chcialem sie calkowicie pozbyc originalu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aleksandar,

I printed your game yesterday and had a couple of plays in the evening. When I read your description (game for kids of 6+ yrs.) I admittedly hadn't high expectations about gameplay. On the other hand, I loved the oringinal TMNT comic book by Eastman/Laird which wasn't meant for kids at all.

PnP Components:
I printed the cards and the first thing I realized is that you are wasting a lot of space on each sheet. Since the cards are a bit smaller than usual, you can easily fit 16 (4 x 4 grid) cards on one sheet.
The next thing which would be nice is to have all card edges touch each other, so that you need way fewer cuts to separate the cards.
The last thing is the rounded edges. They sure look nice, but I don't own an card corner clipper and so I am going with rectangular cards and just ignore the rounds.

You managed to choose icons which fit very nicely with the theme. The turtles weapons, pizza, sewer access and April's media stuff.
The turtle shells on the hero cards are too light and are hardly visible after printing. Maybe you can make them a bit darker.
You could also consider to add a horizontal divider line on the hero cards to emphasize that there are two halves.

Apart from that everything is there to play the game and there are no distractions. You could spice up the graphics to make it more accessible to kids, but it also works like it is.

Rules:
I read through the 3 pages and thought by myself... "this is it?", again not having high hopes of a rich gameplay experience (man, was I wrong!).

In the component section I would introduce all card types and explain what they do, like:
There are three types of enemies in the game, bosses, side kicks and minions. Each of them shows the icon(s) needed to defeat them right on the cards: one for a minion, two for a side kick and four for the bosses.

In the setup section, I would consider adding a line saying that the three visible minion cards (two on table, one on draw deck) must all be different. That way you will avoid an easy start if two or more shown symbols are identical.

What I was missing is a section about "How do I win?" right after the list of components. Currently this information is hidden in the action description.
Something like: "You have to defeat the two bosses, before the minion deck runs of cards."

Next I would summarize the turn sequence before going into details:
1. Add one Minion card from the Minion deck to the play area.
2. Draw one Hero card from the Hero deck.
3. Play one Hero card from your hand to attack an enemy of your choice.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 until you have defeated both bosses (victory!) or one of the two conditions are fulfilled:
a) there are no more cards left in the Minion deck to complete step 1.
b) there are six Minion cards in the play area at the end of step 1.
In both cases you will lose the game.

Since it is a solo game it might not really matter, but you could mention that the card played has to be oriented in a way that the chosen symbol is facing the player.

Gameplay
Wow, that hit me totally unexpected! I played my first game and soon had a nice flow, everything I read in the rules fell into place and it seemed easy (6+, right?).. when the Minion deck suddenly depleted and I lost.
Well, maybe I should put a bit more attention to the gameplay. So, I played another game and the same thing happened. In the end I just ended up with the wrong symbols in hand to defeat the second boss and the deck ran out of cards again..?? Can't be! I realized that there seems to be some basic tactical choices to take?
Third run, my mind was sharp like a knife! I headed right for the bosses and soon had five enemies in the play area. Anytime I managed to get down to four cards, I went for a boss... until I had three side kicks out, five cards in the play area... when I realized that it just a matter of time when I will not have the right cards to defeat the easy minions... which happened a few turns later. Six cards in the play area and I lost.
I couldn't believe that I lost the third game in a row and now this devilish little game has caught my full attention. In the fourth game, I tried to apply all what I have learned during my previous defeats and found the right balance of play area control vs. boss attacks. I won with just two remaining cards in the Minion deck, so it was close again.

Aleksandar, I must really admit and point out that you did an amazing job of disguising a neat and tense little game as a kid's game. The balance is awesome and the difference between a win or a loss comes down to a handful of good or bad decisions and the luck of the draw, while it never feels random. You always have the feeling that you have the right degree of control over the play area and hand cards to be played.

Hell, it would be terrific if you could use original TMNT artwork for the game cards. Regardless of how the game fares during this contest, if I were you I would contact the franchise owner (is it Nickelodeon?) and present them your concept. This game should get the chance to be published under the right license.

I wish you all the best for the contest.

Dark.

PS: your son must be terribly proud to have a father who is able to create a game like this for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words.
I am glad you liked the game.

When my son plays I let him reshuffle minions deck, so the only way for him to lose is to have 6 cards in play area. It makes the game a lot easier.

I am not very good with writing the rules but I will try to implement your suggestions

And I will be fixing PnP components accordingly as soon as I find some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New components uploaded. Now, only 4 sheets of paper are needed to print all the cards.
Rulebook will be updated next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vedrana B
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game to remind me of my childhood.
I had to give it a go today. I played three games - won two, lost one.

First game was just me getting acquainted with the game as such. Rules are simple and clear enough, but I think that objective of the came should be mentioned more prominently, somewhere at the beginning, not just among actions. For instance:

Quote:
Game rules:
Take both boss cards and put them FACE UP at the top of the playing area. You win by defeating both bosses.

Now, game assembling and setup are fast, simple and easy. I managed to defeat media boss easily in my first game and was on my way to defeat combat boss, but lost when my play area got filled up with sidekicks. I just didn't have much luck either with hero cards or minion cards, as I never had good combination of hero cards to defeat any of three sidekicks in play. I do like the fact that both minion and hero decks are face up. That helped me plan next moves.
I played the second game in a more calculated way, but I also had good fortune to draw only one sidekick in about ten turns, with just two sidekicks in play for all 20 turns that I played. I had to reshuffle hero deck once. I first defeated combat boss easily, then had to wait a bit for camera and ladders to come up in hero deck so that I could finish off media boss.
Third game was very dynamic. I had several close calls, all with two or three minions of the same sort in play, and without that icon on hero cards in sight. I won, but it was a nailbiter. In all three games, I was nowhere near using up minion deck, but had to reshuffle hero cards in two games.
I like how fast the game is (it took me about 10 minutes per game). Having several loss conditions creates a sense of urgency, because you have to keep you eye on three things - defeating bosses, not letting minions and sidekicks amass and not running out of minion cards in deck. There is quite a bit of luck involved here, but it is not pure luck of the draw as you can see which cards are coming up next and plan your next move accordingly. All in all, I like this neat little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, I was assigned your game as a volunteer.

First off, I'm glad to see a TMNT game. I loved the cartoons when I was young (I remember coming home from school late one day and getting upset that we couldn't rewind the TV)...I'm sure there is some room for "custom fan-made cards" ninja

The game play is simple and straightforward. I have no doubt that young kids would be able to get their heads around it.

Components:
- layout on the cards is fine, though the grey and turtle shell didn't really print out on a B&W laser (I would typically use an inkjet, but for B&W prototypes).
- I'm happy with the new smaller card size myself (I never sleeve cards, so custom sizes don't really bother me)

Rules:
- Pretty simple, but I think they could use a little editing. The rules for ending the game (winning or losing) are mixed up around the different sections.
- It was a little unclear whether you deal two starting cards for enemies and heroes AND THEN draw an extra card for each as the first part of the turn (giving you a hand of 3 cards, and starting with 3 enemies).

Gameplay:
- The gameplay was straightforward and pretty engaging.
- One part I didn't like was I found myself at several times with five minions out just going through taking one enemy at a time, unable to do anything until there were multiple minions with the same symbol to take out (letting me consider having a go at the boss). That made it feel a little drawn out. I'm not sure if there's much you could do about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for trying the game.

vialick wrote:

- One part I didn't like was I found myself at several times with five minions out just going through taking one enemy at a time, unable to do anything until there were multiple minions with the same symbol to take out (letting me consider having a go at the boss). That made it feel a little drawn out. I'm not sure if there's much you could do about that.

I am aware of this, but as you said, there is a little I can do. My son do not mind it when playing, but I understand that it can be an issue for grownups. I will try to think about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook updated.

DarkPadawan wrote:

Hell, it would be terrific if you could use original TMNT artwork for the game cards. Regardless of how the game fares during this contest, if I were you I would contact the franchise owner (is it Nickelodeon?) and present them your concept. This game should get the chance to be published under the right license.

Dark, I sent an e-mail to Nickelodeon as you suggested, but as was to be expected I got no response. So, the game needs to stay monochrome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vedrana B
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saranac wrote:

Dark, I sent an e-mail to Nickelodeon as you suggested, but as was to be expected I got no response. So, the game needs to stay monochrome

Those fools don't know what they are missing.
I also like the minimalistic look, but I am not a six year old TMNT fanboy anymore...
Maybe it just takes some time until they process your request.

Dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja 1987 Card Game is now official BGG entry:

https://rpggeek.com/boardgame/233044/ninja-1987-card-game/im...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.