Popular Tags: [View All]
Danko Petrovic
Serbia
Beograd
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! You can read my other short reviews here.

COMPONENTS
The game has a board, a bunch of cards and tokens, wooden character pawns for each player and about 10 dice... All components are of very nice quality and box feels especially beautiful in hands.

DESIGN
Although it is not official Mythos (Cthulhu) game, the design is heavily influenced by it. It looks great and really keeps up with the theme.

RULES
Ancient Terrible Things is a horror adventure based in a jungle river where adventurers try to survive the dangerous journey. During each round, every player will need to pick a location on the map where he will try to overcome different encounters and come back to the Trading Post, to buy things that might help him/her in future turns.
To overcome an encounter, a you will roll 5 initial dice and potentially some bonus dice with different abilities, hoping to get to the difficulty of the encounter (or higher). As in Yahtzee, you can reroll dice 2 times after initial roll, but in this game, for each dice kept (not rerolled) you must pay focus tokens.
If you are not successful in trying to finish an encounter, you get a Terrible Thing token that lowers your total points.
Depending on the game length selected, the game is played until all encounters are finished or when all Terrible Thing tokens are spent during the game. Either way, at the end, all points are calculated and the winner gets to live in asylum, others die in most gruesome ways, probably.

FUN
Ancient Terrible Things is a nice and simple game in its core. You choose an encounter, roll some dice, play some tokens and cards to try to mitigate your results and try to get the best out of it. For those that like dice chuckling this game is great! On the other hand; that same dice rolling is guilty of making a game too luck driven, and that is something that can definitely be a problem to some people. This problem is somewhat reduced by the scenario cards that allow you to spend almost all of your dice on tokens that will be useful in the turns to come. Sometimes it's even better to intentionally fail an encounter, to take as many tokens as possible for future turns.
Another problem with the game is that theme, although great, feels completely unimportant and disconnected from the mechanic.

REPLAY VALUE
The game is VERY much luck based... It has a nice amount of cards and encounters of different difficulties and on the top of that it has two different scenarios that might change a lot how players approach the game. For all these reasons replay value of Ancient Terrible Things is great!

FINAL VERDICT
Ancient Terrible Things is a game of high quality components, fantastic design and never-ending dice chuckling. It has some nice decision making and quite a few ways to mitigate the dice results, but at the end, the luckier roller will probably win the day. If this bothers you and you don't like luck based games, this is not the game for you... If you like dice chuckling and the theme, this is a fantastic game. For me, personally, something in between:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools

Rating 7 sounds about right for me as well. I didn't really understand how to play it (I admit to major wargame rules bias), but I'm pretty sure there is quite a bit of game here for people who understand dice games. Great theme! Would be a good one to play late at night, in the summer, in the deep south...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an 8 for me - but I can't disagree with a 7. The artwork lifts it a full point in my rating. Just a lovely looking (dark) game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the expansion, but the only knock I have on the base game is that in a 4 player game you use all the encounter cards. It would have been nice to have a couple extra so that not every game would have the same encounters. Of course, not a concern at lower player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Echevarria
United States
California
flag msg tools
Good review.
Looks like a fun game.

Dice chuckling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.