10 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Variants

Subject: Monsters Awaken Ancient One Difficulty Buff rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased this game after Pandemic Cthulhu because I decided I really love the mythos. In Pandemic Shoggoths and Acolytes are attempting to awaken the ancient ones and you must stop them.

I am surprised that monsters essentially do nothing in this game... I read 2 pages of the variants thread looking for subtle difficulty increases and I found some very awesome ideas which I will try, but I also thought of my own to add. This is completely untested so I have 3 variations of the same theme:

(Hard) At midnight: add 1 doom token for each monsters in play
(Medium) At 3-6-9-12: roll a green die for each monster in play, add a doom token for each terror result
(Easy) At midnight: roll a green die for each monster in play, add a doom token for each terror result

It makes thematic sense to me that the monsters are actively working to release/awaken the old one and it gives players an incentive to slay monsters instead of just spamming elder signs. I also think monsters should be randomly assigned to adventures when no monster spots are available instead of letting the players choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might try your "easy" option, if I were playing with the base game (or base + UF).

It's not really thematic, though, to incentivize slaying monsters. It's more in keeping with yog-sothothery to want to stay the hell away from them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I suppose generally that is true but once our heroes realize that slaying monsters is paramount to preventing the world from falling into chaos... Maybe they will get tough.

The monsters doing nothing but hanging out in the office certainly doesn't feel thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
Well I suppose generally that is true but once our heroes realize that slaying monsters is paramount to preventing the world from falling into chaos... Maybe they will get tough.

The monsters doing nothing but hanging out in the office certainly doesn't feel thematic.
They're basically guard-monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group found that the Gates of Arkham add-on increased the difficulty enough for us. We finally actually lost a game!

Anyway, you might want to look at that as another option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I actually have that expansion I purchased them both together. But that means I will not even experience any of the museum gameplay! So i am trying to kick it up a notch. In a thematic way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had plenty of games were we have been over run by monsters that increased the difficulty of their adventures enough that the game was effectively over. IT doesn't happen often, but i've had it happen multiple times.

I find that even with GoA and OoI i keep coming back to the museum. If i want greater difficulty, then I use the brown mythos cards or choose a harder GOO.

Mind you, it's your game...knock yourself out. I"m the only one in my group that enjoys a good knock out by the game....so, the difficulty is good for my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After some playing and testing I realized all of my ideas where horrible mostly because it isn't fun to add doom tokens to the doom track! Actually that is super NOT FUN.

So now we are sticking with my "easy" variant which is roll a die for each monster and on each terror result we play an additional mythos card at midnight.

This still makes the monsters an annoying force, but also sometimes the mythos card isn't a straight doom token but another fun effect.

WHAT WAS I THINKING of just adding a doom token for each monster haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people post variant ideas, but it's always great when someone tests them and then reports back on their experiences! Heck, I think I'm guilty of quite a few dead variant threads myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I think we might modify it a bit and instead of playing extra mythos cards, the monsters instead roll to steal/destroy player's elder signs.

I find that accelerating the doom track rarely leads to a more climactic game. I think slowing down players would be more interesting. I'll report back after testing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.