Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking a cool variant would be to give abilities to each of the different trade goods, and the players can spend the trade goods from their hold to gain their effects. I was thinking something like this:

Holo: Re-roll mission die
Ember: Re-roll blaster outfit
Plasma: Re-roll engine outfit
Spice: Re-roll any non-outfit die (except for missions)
Cyber: Repair all damage
Terra: Refill energy

(I would use the variant discussed elsewhere that completed missions give +1 to die rolls during missions of the same type, which is why Holo allows a re-roll.)

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar idea a bit ago, though I had different thoughts for the actual uses of the goods. (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/17264782#17264782)

Yours is probably a bit simpler than mine, and makes use of "Ember" which didn't exist yet I think the simplicity is good. Yours are a little stronger than mine (the Terra and Cyber ones in particular seem pretty good; perhaps they could be limited to X damage/energy instead of full, as basically 1 good is "worth" 1000cr, which means Cyber is not really any more costly than you'd pay at a planet.

For Terra, maybe full refill is OK since normally it's "free", but perhaps Cyber could be limited to a set number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you're going to spend a good then the effect needs to be quite powerful, as it seems that in this game $1,000 (the smallest denomination) is still an amount that can buy you a lot!

Maybe Cyber can be that it repairs all surrounding cargo spaces...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I think if you're going to spend a good then the effect needs to be quite powerful, as it seems that in this game $1,000 (the smallest denomination) is still an amount that can buy you a lot!

It buys an OK amount, true, but it shouldn't be better (or even "equal") than spending an equal amount of money on the planet. IE, if you could spend 1000cR on a planet to heal, or to spend a cube worth the same amount to heal anywhere at any time, the planet option could feel less useful (the caveat being, of course, that only one type of cube can be used that way).

Quote:

That, or just put a cap on the amount, rather than "all damage", have it heal 6 damage or something? With surrounding cargo, that could be pretty weak, as it would basically limit the healing to spaces adjacent to where the cyber is, rather than letting it heal anywhere on the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

Quote:

That, or just put a cap on the amount, rather than "all damage", have it heal 6 damage or something? With surrounding cargo, that could be pretty weak, as it would basically limit the healing to spaces adjacent to where the cyber is, rather than letting it heal anywhere on the ship.

You're right - "surrounding" is probably over-complicating it. A nice round (and easy-to-remember) number like 5 damage is probably fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a cool idea.

I think the cost for using the goods as indicated should feel more expensive than if you took care of it on a planet. In other words, it should be more difficult to use the goods to improve your situation in space. Most goods cannot really do anything without some processing, so perhaps this extra cost would reflect the "processor" needed to allow Cyber to repair damage. Otherwise, it would be like throwing iron ore at a building and it suddenly becomes a support beam (a stretch, I know!).

I do like the idea as it may actually make the game length shorter with fewer trips to a planet to refuel or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.