Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Action cards, must I do everything I can? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Must I, if I can, follow ALL the instructions written on my card even if I don't want to?
Example: I have two action cards in my hand,the "Militia" and the "Village" card. I first play the "Village" card which gives me +1 card +2 actions.. I draw the "Remodel" card and, after playing the "Militia" card, i'm left with 3 "Copper" cards and "Remodel". Am I now obliged to play "Remodel", throwing one of my "Copper" into the "Trash"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamegreek1990 wrote:
Must I, if I can, follow ALL the instructions written on my card even if I don't want to?
Example: I have two action cards in my hand,the "Militia" and the "Village" card. I first play the "Village" card which gives me +1 card +2 actions.. I draw the "Remodel" card and, after playing the "Militia" card, i'm left with 3 "Copper" cards and "Remodel". Am I now obliged to play "Remodel", throwing one of my "Copper" into the "Trash"?

You are not obligated to play Action cards in your hand just because you have the "action points" to do it. Playing Village just gives you more "action points". You are obligated to "take" the points and add them to your pool for the turn, but are not obligated to spend them by playing more Action cards. Is that clear?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt E nailed it, but I'd add that if you *do* choose to play an Action card, you are obligated to do everything on it that isn't prefaced with "you may"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have fallen victim to the most common rules misunderstanding in Dominion. "+1 Action" does NOT mean "play another action card". It means "Add 1 to the number of actions you are allowed to play this turn."

So yes, you DO have to follow ALL instructions on a card when you play it. With Village, you HAVE to draw 1 card (if you have any in your draw or discard piles), and you HAVE to "add 2 to the number of actions you are allowed to play this turn". You do NOT ever have to play a card just because you have actions to spare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
you HAVE to "add 1 to the number of actions you are allowed to play this turn"

I think you mean "2".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
you HAVE to "add 1 to the number of actions you are allowed to play this turn"

I think you mean "2".

Oops, fixed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you all for the clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What gets me confused though is the line from the rulebook "The player may still play an Action card even if he is not
able to do everything the Action card tells him to do; but the
player must do as much as he can".. Can you give me an example of not being able to do everything an Action card tells?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What gets me confused though is the line from the rulebook "The player may still play an Action card even if he is not
player must do as much as he can".. Can you give me an example of not being able to do everything an Action card tells?

Sure... After playing a bunch of Villages and Smithys, you only have 1 card left in your deck that you haven't drawn/played. You can still play a Smithy even though it is impossible to draw 3 cards. You will draw 1 card and be done with it, because that's as much as you can do.

Or, after all Curses are gone, you can still play Witch, even though it's impossible for your opponent(s) to gain a Curse. You can still play it and you will still draw 2 cards when you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Market has +1 card, +1 action, +1 buy, +$1

If you play Market and your deck has no cards remaining and you have no cards in the discard you cannot draw a card. You still get the +Buy and +action.

You may not choose to play market and not draw a card if it is possible to draw a card, but you may play market if you are unable to draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
You totally want to Remodel that Copper, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:

Assuming you've had the sense to purchase gold or at least silver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you give me an example of not being able to do everything an Action card tells?

An example could be if the remodel was the last card in your hand - when you played it, you would not be able to trash a card from your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:

Only if there's a $2 card that you want. Otherwise, you're just turning your Copper into an Estate, which is no good, while also turning this turn's $5 purchase into a $4 purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knutsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
Sure... After playing a bunch of Villages and Smithys, you only have 1 card left in your deck that you haven't drawn/played. You can still play a Smithy even though it is impossible to draw 3 cards. You will draw 1 card and be done with it, because that's as much as you can do.

Just to clarify, in this example your discard pile is empty, so you only have 1 card to draw.

Another important consideration is the following. Let's say you have 2 cards left in your deck (and your discard pile is empty) and you have a Warehouse in hand. Warehouse says "3 Cards, +1 Action, discard 3 cards". If you play it, you have to do as much as you can. So you draw 2 cards and then discard 3 cards, ending up with one fewer card in hand than you normally would after playing Warehouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.