Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
the Cthulhu Wars KS is very tempting, because the game is finally translated to german.
I backed Lords of hellas all in.
For those who played CW, or even both, which game do you like better?

Also, I want to play a lot with my wife, so which one do you think works better with two players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Hoehener
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was asking myself the same question and after a lengthy debate decided to back both. Acolyte and Mythic level. I see it as an investment (to fool myself a bit )

Anyhow, i read many reviews of CW and they more or less all say that it shines with more players some even say they don't like it as a 2p game. However i don't think i would play it with more then 5 maybe 6.

But subscribing here and hoping for some CW-senior-players answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still on the fence about Lords of Hellas. I'm a huge (all-in) backer of Cthulhu Wars.

CW is one of my favorite games ever. Besides the awesome minis, it's actually a game I would love even without them.

The best player count is 4-5, but I have played a number of 6-8 player games, and it works just fine (it just takes longer and tends to be pretty chaotic).

3-player is okay, but not as good as 4.

The original 2-player rules were, frankly, not very good. The new "Omega Rulebook" (which came with the last Kickstarter and which you can also get with OS3) includes new 2-player rules which look much better and I hear are a lot of fun, though I haven't actually tried them out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Hellas was a gamble of a pledge - came with lots of extra bits as stretch goals, but no real idea what the gameplay will be like.

Cthulhu Wars is a tried and tested dudes on a map game, with some amazing interactions and asymmetrical gameplay. One of my favourites now.

Basically, CW is a "known" amazing game, Lords of Hellas is harder to know about yet, with so few reviews / plays of it done so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have play experience with CW. I did back Lords of Hellas all-in due to the minis. Will there be game play? I hope so because it would be a shame for such a lavish project to fall short on the game play element. This is not Awaken Realms first project so I would think they will have learned from their previous project and work on the game play and balance.

I have no regrets for purchasing CW. It is a very good game which shines with 4-6 players. There is PLENTY of variety both in factions, independent units and playing boards to keep the game fresh. I am happy t see that Sandy Peterson is keeping his passion for more CW goodness. The 3rd Kickstarter is going gangbusters and should do excellent. The game is very easy to teach and plays at a good pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tollas McClane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was briefly tempted by CW. The game looks fun, I really like the minis, and anything eldritch horror piques my interest.

That being said, the price tag really put me off. If had the core game and previous items, it wouldn't be a question, but the $750+ maybe more add-ons price tag is WAY too high.

Yes, I realize I don't need all the things to play the game, but it feels like I'm missing something if I don't and I can't know when those items will be available after the campaign ends (retail) or how much additional the cost will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.