Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: How do Samyria's Totems work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totems powers confuse me. They're not Companions, but they use a similar method of cooling down. The cooldown doesn't begin until the Totem is removed, but the rules for removing two of them say:

This Token can be removed when you desire.

While I appreciate when things cater to my desires, I don't know what this means in game terms. Taken literally, I can remove it any time - like right before the powers would cooldown, thus essentially making it take 1 less hourglass-worth of time than it says (Healing Totem says 2). This seems a fiddley. Is this right?

And what happens to the power card in the meantime? A Companion's card is still necessary post-summon because it tells you what kind of Action you need to spend to activate it once it's on the board; a Totem's card does ... what, once you use it and place down the Totem? Sit there, face up? What's to stop me from using it again to move the Totem and bypass the cooldown entirely?

- Jee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Inspector Jee wrote:
Totems powers confuse me. They're not Companions, but they use a similar method of cooling down. The cooldown doesn't begin until the Totem is removed, but the rules for removing two of them say:

This Token can be removed when you desire.

While I appreciate when things cater to my desires, I don't know what this means in game terms. Taken literally, I can remove it any time - like right before the powers would cooldown, thus essentially making it take 1 less hourglass-worth of time than it says (Healing Totem says 2). This seems a fiddley. Is this right?
You're right that this seems off. I wonder if this deserves a ruling against removal during time phase.

Inspector Jee wrote:
And what happens to the power card in the meantime? A Companion's card is still necessary post-summon because it tells you what kind of Action you need to spend to activate it once it's on the board; a Totem's card does ... what, when you use it? Sit there, face up? What's to stop me from using it again to move the Totem and bypass the cooldown entirely?

- Jee
Logically, it sits face up, but you can't use it again while the totem is in play. I don't recall this being on the card text, though, so I'm guessing this could use an errata.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RezardVareth wrote:
Inspector Jee wrote:
Totems powers confuse me. They're not Companions, but they use a similar method of cooling down. The cooldown doesn't begin until the Totem is removed, but the rules for removing two of them say:

This Token can be removed when you desire.

While I appreciate when things cater to my desires, I don't know what this means in game terms. Taken literally, I can remove it any time - like right before the powers would cooldown, thus essentially making it take 1 less hourglass-worth of time than it says (Healing Totem says 2). This seems a fiddley. Is this right?
Hrm, what's the order of operations during the time phase?

- Damage from stuff (fire, poison, etc)
- Other Effects that happen (Healing Totem goes here)
- Clean Up
- Hero token Bars Flip Up
- Powers Refresh
- Powers Rotate
...

So yeah, we got loads of time between "Heal pulse" and "ditch Totem", assuming that "when I desire" renders in chucks of time that are at least as small as each of those sub-steps.

And yes, it would be nice if the rules included a bit about Totem powers not being able to be used while the Totem was in play.

- Jee

EDIT: I see we both looked this up at the same time!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't many things a Hero can do when it's not their turn, and such things usually have a Reaction icon.

Since there isn't a Reaction icon anywhere on the card - and it's hard for me to believe that the intent here allows the player to circumvent the cooldown so easily - I going to assume that ditching the Totem is supposed to be a Free Action. The exact text is oddly worded (plain English, doesn't use game jargon), so perhaps its just a translation error.

Hopefully there will be a ruling on this soon

- Jee

P.S. I have a similar timing issue with Tristan's "Combined Attack" power.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kand Affar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
You can't use the totem power to move the totem from one location to the next. I f you tried, the only physically possible way to do that is to remove the token from its current location, which would immediately start the cooldown, preventing you from placing it in a new location.

As for any time you desire, I would just play it as ant time during the battle phase to avoid gaming the system.

For tracking, set it up like this.

Place totem token on the power card. When you use the power, place the token on the map and leave the power face up. When you remove the token, start the cooldown (flip the card)and put the token back on top of the card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kand Affar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Inspector Jee wrote:

P.S. I have a similar timing issue with Tristan's "Combined Attack" power.


I'll take a stab at what I'm guessing the issue is. On p. 24 the rules say that "next attack" abilities must be used by the end of the turn, so Tristan cannot activate the ability in one round, advance the cool down in the time phase, and then get the benefit on his attack in the next round.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cozar wrote:
Inspector Jee wrote:

P.S. I have a similar timing issue with Tristan's "Combined Attack" power.


I'll take a stab at what I'm guessing the issue is. On p. 24 the rules say that "next attack" abilities must be used by the end of the turn, so Tristan cannot activate the ability in one round, advance the cool down in the time phase, and then get the benefit on his attack in the next round.

Could be. I still have no idea what to do about the Totems. Help us, Simone-i-wan Kenobi; you're our only hope.

- Jee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to necro this thread, because I still have no idea how to handle my original situation regarding Totems.

Does any of the new errata address this?

- Jee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also like to know the answers to the questions asked here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this weekend and ran into the same question, so add me to the list who would love to get an official answer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm giving up on waiting for an official answer. I'm just going to play exactly as written. For the savvy player, the healing Totem has a functional cooldown of 1 less Hourglass than printed on the card.

- Jee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.