Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Eichmann
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

rallying is an action right? So why doesnt it appear in the action section as one of the action options in the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsi wrote:
Hi,

rallying is an action right? So why doesnt it appear in the action section as one of the action options in the rulebook?

Yes, rallying is clearly explicitly an action. I'm not sure which "action section" you're talking about, but see e.g.:

rules wrote:
2.2 Taking Turns
During a player’s turn, he may take one action, stall, or pass. An action is defined as any single thing a unit does such as moving one hex, attacking once, rallying, etc.

3.1 Opportunity Actions
A player can only take an Opportunity Action with a fresh unactivated unit. An activated or spent unit may NOT take an Opportunity Action. Any one action costing any number of APs, such as attacking once, moving one hex, rallying, etc., may be taken as an Opportunity Action.

9.1 Group Actions
Units may take any action as a group, including moving, attacking, rallying, or a Card Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think where he's getting confused is that Rallying actually is NOT an action onto itself. Let me explain... according to rule 2.2, Rallying falls under, "any single thing a unit does as moving, attacking, rallying, etc...". So, in a very pedantic sense, per the rulebook, Rally is a "thing" that a unit does. That, and the following sentence, is why I made the bold statement that "Rally" is not an action.

Instead, rule 2.2 is clear that THESE are actions:

- Unit Action
- Opportunity Action
- Command Action
- Card Action

And "Rally" isn't on that list.

So that's where it can be confusing for someone who reads the rules for the first time. The above four items are clearly listed as "Actions" in the rulebook, while "Rally" is not. Other than on the Player Aid card, there is NO definitive single list of what most consider to be "Action" items (move, attack, rally, etc). For instance, there is no single list of everything that can be done as a "Unit Action". And I assume that's what the OP is looking for.

Instead, all these "things" that can be done as actions are presented in their own sections throughout the rulebook (which is fine), and are identified as something that can be done as an Unit Action, or that can be done as an Opportunity Action, etc.

So again, while we can see that "Rally" is indeed listed as an "Action" on the Player Aid card, it doesn't appear in a list of actions anywhere in the rulebook. Instead, in the rulebook, Rally is explicitly identified as an action only in rule 7.6, "Rally".

So I think that's where the OP is coming from. It's simply a different style of writing rules from most other wargames , where a list of actions is clearly presented in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

I think where he's getting confused is that Rallying actually is NOT an action. Let me explain... according to rule 2.2, Rallying falls under, "any single thing a unit does as moving, attacking, rallying, etc...". So, Rally is a "thing" that a unit does.

Yes, and those things which units do are explicitly defined to be "actions":
2.2 rules wrote:
During a player’s turn, he may take one action, stall, or pass. An action is defined as any single thing a unit does such as moving one hex, attacking once, rallying, etc.

2.2. explicitly defines rallying to be one of the possible actions, it seems to me.

"An action is defined as ... (various things including rallying)". Are you saying that this quoted text does not say that rallying is an action?

(Or does your rulebook not have the "An action is defined as..." part?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Eichmann
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"... confused when reading the rulebook for the first time" - yeah, exactly. Thank you for clearing things up for me!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.