16 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Thank You to the Designer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B K
United States
flag msg tools

Finally boxing up the game after months of amazing play. I would like to give a final thank you to the designer for really going above and beyond to create an amazing game. I have not played a game that was so ambitious that actually delivered an incredibly well designed, balanced and thoughtful experience. As a consumer, I am not in the habit of thanking someone for something I paid for, but this game was a tremendous joy to play and I have a great deal of respect for someone willing to go above and beyond in terms of hard work, play testing and not accepting substandard design.

Gloomhaven has really raised the bar in my mind as to how far depth and quality can be pushed in this medium. Thanks for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any idea how many hours you've spent with Gloomhaven? arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
flag msg tools
Klauseren wrote:

To be honest its enough that I can't be precise. I would say 150 hours ballpark of playing. That's not including set-up time. Mostly 2 player games so was able to complete the campaign. There are a number of additional side quests that we will come back to at some point in the future. Over the last few months, this game has really pushed most others aside, which is not the norm for me. I also don't tend to spend anywhere near that amount of time with a single game unless it is really amazing, so this is definitely the exception in that regard as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Richard
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes me excited for my KS to come in the Fall. It will be the perfect game to get me through the winter in South Dakota!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
flag msg tools
Masternamer wrote:
This makes me excited for my KS to come in the Fall. It will be the perfect game to get me through the winter in South Dakota!

It almost certainly will. I have to admit, I get a bit jealous of those who are just going to be starting the game. It is a fun journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bk375 wrote:
Masternamer wrote:

It almost certainly will. I have to admit, I get a bit jealous of those who are just going to be starting the game. It is a fun journey.

Pretty sure that that’s the ultimate compliment for anyone who’s endeavored to create a genuinely engaging narrative and/or sensory experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McIllwain
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
bk375 wrote:
Klauseren wrote:

To be honest its enough that I can't be precise. I would say 150 hours ballpark of playing. That's not including set-up time. Mostly 2 player games so was able to complete the campaign. There are a number of additional side quests that we will come back to at some point in the future. Over the last few months, this game has really pushed most others aside, which is not the norm for me. I also don't tend to spend anywhere near that amount of time with a single game unless it is really amazing, so this is definitely the exception in that regard as well.

Out of curiosity, how many scenarios have you completed before packing up the game for good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
flag msg tools
ThreeEyedSloth wrote:
bk375 wrote:
Klauseren wrote:

Out of curiosity, how many scenarios have you completed before packing up the game for good?

I don't have our sheet it in front of me to count exactly, but probably about 55.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Komdetch Koonopakarn
United States
California
flag msg tools
As someone who's maybe 20-30 scenarios into the game, I wonder about the replayability. Do you have any desire to pick up the game again and start a new party (maybe making more "evil/good" choices compared to your previous one)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
flag msg tools
koonopak wrote:
As someone who's maybe 20-30 scenarios into the game, I wonder about the replayability. Do you have any desire to pick up the game again and start a new party (maybe making more "evil/good" choices compared to your previous one)?

I am not the best person to use as an anecdotal reference. I generally get fatigued with every board game and video game I play, so my bias is to retire something at some point and not come back to it.

With that said, yes, I do expect to come back and finish some of the side scenarios that are still left. We have played this almost exclusively for multiple months, so I do expect to take a good break.

Probably the most helpful statement I can make is that I would say relative to other games I would much rather come back and play this one then most others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me - John 14:6
mbmbmbmbmb
koonopak wrote:

My sons and I have already reset the game and started our second campaign. I'm tracking our progress using some files downloaded from BGG and a tracking sheet I made myself. No board, but that's OK. The main difference in campaign 1 vs campaign 2 is that we know which characters we want to unlock when we choose our goals, and we remember about 1/5th of the city/road events. Still a blast, still dominates our game table, because it's the best game I've ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr T.
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
koonopak wrote:

But I think this comment really misses the point. I don't expect many if any to replay Gloomhaven after going through it once.

The point is that it has already provided hundreds of hours of gameplay and experiences. Does it owe you anything more? I doubt it.

Very few other games will ever provide that many hours of gameplay with their repeated plays.

How many times do we watch our favourite movies again? Maybe 10-15 times tops in our lives. How often do we now play Civilisation I or II? Never.

Humans will always seek out new experiences. Gloomhaven does that in the original design. But questioning its replayability doesn't really make sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Neil Thomson wrote:
koonopak wrote:

But I think this comment really misses the point. I don't expect many if any to replay Gloomhaven after going through it once.

The point is that it has already provided hundreds of hours of gameplay and experiences. Does it owe you anything more? I doubt it.

Very few other games will ever provide that many hours of gameplay with their repeated plays.

How many times do we watch our favourite movies again? Maybe 10-15 times tops in our lives. How often do we now play Civilisation I or II? Never.

Humans will always seek out new experiences. Gloomhaven does that in the original design. But questioning its replayability doesn't really make sense to me.

I too think these questions on replayability are a little silly. The question answers itself... you have played it 30 times. So, it's at least replayable 30 times.

Just because it's a campaign, I guess people consider hundreds of hours playing 50-100 scenarios "just one game." I've played settlers of Catan maybe 100 times. I measure each game as a play, just like I would GH.

So, for anyone who likes the GH, it is replayable at least 50 times, but possibly a whole lot more.

I guess if people stopped using the word "replayable" and asked if people would want to play a second campaign, that would make a lot more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Komdetch Koonopakarn
United States
California
flag msg tools
I love the game, I'm not gonna scoff and pout that it's not replayable.

That said, I was interested in starting a second playthrough after "finishing" the first, possibly making different decisions. I know that by RAW, we can always play locked scenarios in casual mode, but doing an "evil" playthrough (with regards to choices and city/road events) is something that might be fun.

I was simply asking someone who had finished the game already if they felt like it'd be worth doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halladay
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well. I think this would be replayable after sitting on the shelf for a while. Just like rereading a favorite novel, it is never quite as good on subsequent reads, but is still far more enjoyable than reading mediocre novels. All this being said, there is an expansion in the works so you will get at least one more campaign.

Edit: My opinion may not matter as I am a second edition guy just killing time until my copy comes in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Just put this away(for probably a year?) myself a few weeks ago.

84 plays is roughly 360 hours with the game. Including all the in between dungeon stuff. Events, planning, shopping, etc.

Opened all the boxes and envelopes, still have about 7 scenarios left in the main plot line. Many side quests still to unlock. Many treasures as yet unlooted.

Replayable? Yes. The Variants forum has discussions on New Game+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.