Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
1. Instead of bidding on City tiles, just purchase them outright by paying twice the current city value. Presumably players would max out to six tiles quickly, then begin a struggle to raise their cities' end of game VP values (and lower their opponents').

2. After declaring a war, the active player automatically becomes the Attacker by paying, say, 5 Influence points; the defending condotierre is auctioned normally.

I believe that using both of these together will create a better game, with a lot less auctions and a lot more "flow."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leiv Hodne
Norway
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Re:Two Variants to Streamline and Speed Up THe Game
asfhgwt (#28677),

Speaking of variants - I could have sworn there were some variants posted here recently (something about being able to call a Pope auction for free, and something similar about treachery tiles), but now I can't find them. Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re:Two Variants to Streamline and Speed Up THe Game
Findegil wrote:
asfhgwt (#28677),

Speaking of variants - I could have sworn there were some variants posted here recently (something about being able to call a Pope auction for free, and something similar about treachery tiles), but now I can't find them. Help?

Proposed by Gerard Mulder (Douwecarel):
POPE: Any card that gives you a discount for the pope auction also gives you a free extra auction of the pope on your turn (if the pope is available).
TR. TILES: Allow people to purchase one treachery tile on their turn on top of their turn.

I don't think the Pope thing is necessary: it depends by the style of your group if he is more or less useful (as many parts of the game: it's one of the reason of its "charme").

About Tr. Tiles: I think the real cost of them is the turn (not gold or influence), but I must admit that they are a bit TOO powerful to allow everyone to get one EVERY turn (for such a low price of 1 gold & 1 influence, would you dislike to buy one?). Another option (not tested yet) could be: when a player uses his turn to buy a Tr. Tile, he can buy 2 of them (full price: a total of 2 gold and 2 influence); this also makes a little more useful those "keep an extra tr. tile" tiles.

Finally (I know you haven't asked.. ) my own house rule to handle the "max 1 troop tile per type" rule (some players use it and others simply ignore it): a player can buy a Troop Tile he already owns at double cost; the third copy costs three times the basic cost and so on (e.g. a second Field Fortification costs 6 gold, the third 9 gold, the fourth 12 gold).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.