Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Ottaway
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if anyone else noticed how much the orientation of the tiles can affect the layout of the board. For my first couple games, everyone just placed the tiles so that the text was oriented in the same direction on all of the tiles. It wasn't until after a couple plays that I noticed that you can affect how many neighbouring territories a territory can have based on the orientation of the tiles.

It's possible, for instance to completely surround a single territory with exactly 5, 6 or 7 other territories leaving no space empty. Not only that, but you can also place the tiles so that you are left with empty spaces that can never be filled and therefore end up with holes in the board (even with the restriction that each new tile must be adjacent to two existing tiles).

Anyway, I just thought this was interesting. It's one more thing to consider when there are territories like Plains in play. I'd be much more interested in controlling it when it's adjacent to 7 other territories and perhaps less so when it's adjacent to 5...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never considered this! Great observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
pottaway wrote:

Not only that, but you can also place the tiles so that you are left with empty spaces that can never be filled and therefore end up with holes in the board (even with the restriction that each new tile must be adjacent to two existing tiles).

Ran into this in my last game...I was wondering if we had broken a tile-laying rule b/c surely there shouldn't be gaps. We just carried on and accepted it. I was thinking maybe there might be a tile-laying rule that we just missed, but apparently this is a design element?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's ok, just consider it's an impassable zone (wasted land, pit, barren peak)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.