John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, two questions:

- 2-player game with my wife, and we're up against the "deacon of betrayal"...on my last attack/action vs. him (i had 5 HP left and he had 2 HP) i hit him 5 times (10 dice), so he's dead...but he hit me 3 times (8 dice)...so i'm also "dead" i guess...what happens? does my wife win as the only hero to survive? do i win, but die? or is it like any other combat where the ancient is dead (by me, so i win) and i just make camp, lose some stuff, etc.?

- and also...i had the spell card "inner strength"...(purchased at market, down as an asset)...it has:

1+ sword (and next to the sword a d6 die, with the 6 "up")
3 study, with a 1 "lock" next to it

so what exactly does this card do, and how/when would i have used it?

thanks! (and regardless of outcome, we had a blast playing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
When an ancient kills you you don't come back. Your dead. If your wife survived you guys won assuming that was the last ancient.

The lock means you need at least that number to get the bonus. So in your case you need at least three study to get the +1 str.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume as there was only 1 Ancient you were playing a competitive match (as in co-op there is 1 Ancient for each player). If this is the case, you won.

Per the rules:

Page 10:

In the competitive game: the hero that defeats the Ancient before time runs out wins the game.

And Page 19:

Note: Because this check happens before we check whether the hero is defeated, any reward for defeating the foe is gained even if the hero has no HP and is about to be declared defeated!

Conclusion:

Since the Foe defeated check comes before the Hero defeated check, you gain the spoils of that battle before being declared as dead, which in this case is victory. A glorious way for a hero to go out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention it provides the classic film imagery of the hero dying to save the world.

I think this section of the Foe Defeated Check sums it up best:

"2. Foe Defeated Check: If a foe has no HP, it is defeated with the following consequences: If the defeated foe was an Ancient, the hero takes gold equal to the Ancient’s gold value, if it was the last remaining Ancient the game immediately ends."

and again in the Deed: Assault

"If the Ancient is defeated, the game ends immediately in a win."

Do not pass Go do not collect $200

With the Spell as mentioned as long as your Study is 3 or more the spell will stay in effect. If your Study is 2 (or less) the Spell can stay as an Asset it just will not provide it's benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.