Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bradford
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have been playing the introduction game for many years now. It is a good way to introduce others to the game and gaming in general. However, it is unbalanced, so having a newbie play the Fellowship may not be a good thing.

I wanted to share my ideas with you. Here is what I suggest:

1. Use the advanced siege rules.
2. Use the advanced victory point requirements - Fellowship needs 4 VP and Shadow needs 10 VP.
3. The fellowship gains an extra action die if they reach 2 VP. This is lost if they go below this total.
4. A nation that is not at war will move one step closer to war if any of their territory is entered by a shadow army (not just a Nazgul). This is done immediately upon the violation, but is done only once per game, no matter how many times the nation is violated. This is basically the same rule used for "activating" a nation.
5. Each die used to move the Fellowship adds +1 die to the hunt roll, not +1 to the die roll (This means that a six is needed in all cases).
6. A stronghold defends like a fortification/city on the first combat round.
7. Any army that moves across a river to attack rolls half their combat dice on the first combat round (rounded down). For the purposes of determining a river crossing any move crossing a river counts. In addition, cunt a move between the following territories as crossing a river:
a) Pelegir/Lamedon
b) Orthanc/Fords of Isen
c) Andrast/Anfalas
d) Eagle's Eye/Carrock
e) Carrock/North Mirkwood
f) North Ered Luin/Ered Luin
g) Ettenmors/Trollshaws
h) Rivendale/Trollshaws

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people are playing the Second Edition of the game nowadays and in the Second Edition the introduction rules have been removed completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played first edition. What were introduction rules like, and where can I find them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
I have never played first edition. What were introduction rules like, and where can I find them?

Send me your email and I can email you the "Introductory Rules" that came with the 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put together this Ring of Doom variant as a way of teaching new players the game. It strips away some of the complexities of the full game but avoids introducing new or modified rules as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:

The Introductory rules (aka "Quick-start rules") are basically Risk. It strips almost everything out of the game. I have never understood how it teaches you anything about the actual game, because it barely resembles WotR.

At the time, almost everybody agreed that the Intro. game is best skipped. It is no wonder that the rules have been removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.