First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet» Forums » General

Subject: Running out of food, power and O2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm waiting for the game to get here, I keep watching videos on how to play and playthroughs and I've got a question because I've noticed something strange (or maybe I saw a video where the player made a mistake).

The mechanics imply if you run out of food and your astronauts don't eat, they take a hit. That obviously makes sense... but what happens if you run out of power and/or O2?

Without O2, the astronauts can't breathe and they should die... without Power, nothing actually works (all the Hub should shut down, hence, no O2 and no heating, which means no breathing AND frozen death).

I am not sure about having 0 supplies of Power/O2 (of course with 0 supplies but hanging on it should be ok but if you have 0 supplies and you're LOSING Power/O2 then this is NOT ok).

Can anyone explain what the rules say about lack of Power/O2? It's really unclear here and without the manual I can't check it out (has the manual been uploaded on BGG yet?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest watching Rodney Smith's Watch it Played video. In short you shut down a Facility, but it is a lot less complicated than that. I have also summarised the rules here

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/149681/rules-summary-faq-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I saw Rodney Smith's Watch it Played... I'll seek it on YouTube, thanks.

What left me puzzled happened in this gamethrough: https://boardgamegeek.com/video/143017
(JonGetsGames - HappyHexagon)

I know if you go NEGATIVE you shut down as many as required (both for O2 and for Power) to balance but in this gamethrough, restarting a shutdown facility cost him some power he had from the power supply and the power supply went to -1.

He did NOT go negative on production, just on supply. Now you can't technically go negative when you think of it because if you do, you must shut down facilities.

It was a silly question probably but despite me recognizing my hypothesis can't happen I'm still not convinced.

Gonna go give a look at your summary (which I had already downloaded and forgot about it lol). Thanks for posting them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
GShock112 wrote:

I know if you go NEGATIVE you shut down as many as required (both for O2 and for Power) to balance but in this gamethrough, restarting a shutdown facility cost him some power he had from the power supply and the power supply went to -1.

He did NOT go negative on production, just on supply. Now you can't technically go negative when you think of it because if you do, you must shut down facilities.

Havent looked at the video. But the rules says that you can only do actions for which you are able to pay the cost/penalty.

If the shutdown tile says to spend 1 power from supply and your supply is at 0, then you effectively can not take that action.
So assumption is that basically it will remain shutdown for the rest of the game if you dont gain power supply some way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!
You cracked it man: can't do the action if you can't afford to pay for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV1Kd3IA5K0 (1:24:20)

So basically he gets an event that puts his power SUPPLY to -1.

Since we know on the production side you can never go negative (you shut down what you can't pay the upkeep for), what happens if something else causes you to lose more power, or oxygen for the matter, from supply? (i.e. an event)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
GShock112 wrote:
Yes!
You cracked it man: can't do the action if you can't afford to pay for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV1Kd3IA5K0 (1:24:20)

So basically he gets an event that puts his power SUPPLY to -1.

Since we know on the production side you can never go negative (you shut down what you can't pay the upkeep for), what happens if something else causes you to lose more power, or oxygen for the matter, from supply? (i.e. an event)

If an event tells you to lose power supply, but you are already at 0, then nothing happens.
Same as how if event tells you to discard a sample, but you dont have a sample, then nothing happens.
If the event says to spend X power or do B and you have 0 supply, then you are forced to do B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spike225BGG wrote:
GShock112 wrote:

Havent looked at the video. But the rules says that you can only do actions for which you are able to pay the cost/penalty.

If the shutdown tile says to spend 1 power from supply and your supply is at 0, then you effectively can not take that action.
So assumption is that basically it will remain shutdown for the rest of the game if you dont gain power supply some way.

If that happened (nothing in reserve (supply track)) and you needed to remove a shutdown on "Fac A," then you might try to bend the rules and try this: cannibalize for that part either from: 1) upgrade cards you did not build yet (if present), or strip the O2 or Energy from "Fac C" thus turning it into a spare part for your cargo bay. Technically, it is not a [resource track token] and true, a spare part is not a reserve, but but thematically, I'd look the other way if my buddy tried it at the table... When I play a game, I try to have fun with it, and sometimes you gotta ignore the rules and just charge on... Possibly against the intent of the rules, but hey...if you need the research lab, what are you gonna do?cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.