Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

One Night Ultimate Alien» Forums » Variants

Subject: One Night Ultimate House Rules & Homemade Roles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: variant [+] [View All]
Kristinn Pálsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
Some roles I feel like are missing from other WW I’ve played in the past and we sometimes use them and others as house rules and special characters.
I have often drawn pictures and put in my extra sleeves, used other characters or alternative artwork cards. I know many of you guys are doing the same and I would like to hear about your character ideas. Here are some of mine.laugh

---

Mayor: He is either elected by the group before the night phase with a token, or linked to a now role card like “The Voter” that will wake up and elect someone. This person, now the Major has a double vote, could either help or hurt villagers depending if a villain is the Major or not. I have used the Sentinel and his token for voting. (Voter: Villager team)

Judge: In a case of a tie vote he will make the final decision. If he is taking apart in the tie vote his vote is then technically double, personally I don’t like tie votes and sometimes we use the Prince as a tiebreaker. (Villager team)

Sympathetic Lyncher: The lyncher was often in the old decks of WW and I feel like he is missing in One Night, losing the classic visual connection to how players are killed (not that it really matters). The sympathetic one is similar to the Bodyguard but instead of being able to save a person like he does his vote is a one minus vote of the total, trying what he can to help the victim. I like these kinds of roles because they make you think differently during the discussion phase. You are in your head trying to count our possibilities and using your unique vote to get the result you want without pointing at the person you think should die. This can than backfire when your card has possibly been swapped. (Villager team)

Parrot: He cannot vote for himself but instead when the countdown starts he must decide to vote like the person on his right or left and instead of pointing grabs the person shoulders technically giving him a double vote. The parrot is loyal to his “owner” and therefor sits on another person shoulder, the app could also tell the parrot randomly which shoulder to “sit” on so you must try to influence that player. I like playing with this one because you don’t only have to decide for yourself who to vote for but figure out what your neighbors are doing so you can possibly cast your vote wisely through them. I just put a simple drawing in an extra sleeve to include him in my game. (We have tried him in different ways either on villager team or on the villain team but he has no extra knowledge of cards or characters)

Apprentice Cupid/Baby Amor: This is technically a version of the cupid from an old WW game, but the lovers don’t know each other. The player wakes up and gives a kiss token to a person he hopes is a villain (If the card is moved the token will follow). If the Amor is killed the character with the kiss dies too. So he can act like a tanner if he thinks he’s right (kissing a villain) and wins if it works out even if she gets killed. So everyone knows who the Amor is in love with. It can be a hot seat to have the kiss token. Again we use the Sentinel in the app. (Mix of Hunter and Cupid) (Villager team)

Tavern: We have tried this one differently. Either he wakes up and blindly switches someone’s card with one in the middle (opposite of the Drunk, similar to the Witch) or he gives a drink token so when everybody wakes up the person with the token has to switch his card (like the Drunk) with one in the middle. This can be fun because now people know which card he picks and maybe a Lone Wolf or a Seer knows what he is. (Token sticks to a player) (Villager team)
Fairy Godmother: Gives a token that takes all powers away both night action and turns villains into villagers, makes you a good person. I think many tokens and marks already do the same so it is maybe not relevant but he is also like a reveler making it obvious who is a good ally for the villagers though he doesn’t know much since he lost his night actions. (Token moves with the card, so the role is now “good-guy”) (Villagers team)

Shapeshifter/Ghost: This person is not playing on anybody’s team until the end because he becomes part of the team he votes for. So you must try to figure out who might be killed and what players are on that person’s team so you can vote for the opposite and be on the winning team. Voting for the person that gets killed makes you lose, except if that character is a Tanner. This makes you think differently when voting.

Boogie man: This is one of my favorite and something we just made up way back. The Boogie Man is a pure villain and only roots for evil. He doesn’t care about regular villagers and he can fuck up the game. He wins if a villager’s die, even the Tanner but evil villagers must stay alive like the Minion, Squire, Renfield, or/and evil; P.I., Copycat and Doppelgänger. If people kill the Boogie man everyone who votes for him lose, others win (because revealing his face/card is too scary). He is a villain ally without knowing who is technically on his team. In a mix of Werewolves, Vampires and Aliens he doesn’t care which is which. I have one in my deck since he doesn’t need to wake up. I made a drawing in the style of Tim Burton’s; Nightmare before Christmas. (Villain/own team)

---

Please let me know what you think and/or if you have any nice adjustments.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camilo North
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KiddiPals wrote:
Judge: In a case of a tie vote he will make the final decision. If he is taking apart in the tie vote his vote is then technically double, personally I don’t like tie votes and sometimes we use the Prince as a tiebreaker. (Villager team)

You need some way of establishing what the Judge's tiebreaking decision is without conclusively establishing who the Judge is here. Otherwise, the Judge gains additional information about who was actually switched in practice. In the worst case you might accidentally end up revealing an evil team member in the process. I don't actually agree that ties are bad in principle, though; they just tend to favor the village and death-requiring third parties.

KiddiPals wrote:
Parrot: He cannot vote for himself but instead when the countdown starts he must decide to vote like the person on his right or left and instead of pointing grabs the person shoulders technically giving him a double vote. The parrot is loyal to his “owner” and therefor sits on another person shoulder, the app could also tell the parrot randomly which shoulder to “sit” on so you must try to influence that player. I like playing with this one because you don’t only have to decide for yourself who to vote for but figure out what your neighbors are doing so you can possibly cast your vote wisely through them. I just put a simple drawing in an extra sleeve to include him in my game. (We have tried him in different ways either on villager team or on the villain team but he has no extra knowledge of cards or characters)

The "instead of pointing" thing is another situation where the need to establish whether that card was swapped creates problems. It probably would be more effective to announce which neighbor the parrot was voting with during the night, then just disregard the vote of whoever ended with the parrot in favor of doubling up on the neighbor. In that case, the easy move would be to put the parrot on the team of the player they're voting with, since that player will tend to have very little control over the outcome of the game.

KiddiPals wrote:
Boogie man: This is one of my favorite and something we just made up way back. The Boogie Man is a pure villain and only roots for evil. He doesn’t care about regular villagers and he can fuck up the game. He wins if a villager’s die, even the Tanner but evil villagers must stay alive like the Minion, Squire, Renfield, or/and evil; P.I., Copycat and Doppelgänger. If people kill the Boogie man everyone who votes for him lose, others win (because revealing his face/card is too scary). He is a villain ally without knowing who is technically on his team. In a mix of Werewolves, Vampires and Aliens he doesn’t care which is which. I have one in my deck since he doesn’t need to wake up. I made a drawing in the style of Tim Burton’s; Nightmare before Christmas. (Villain/own team)

Is the purpose of punishing the players for killing him to provide an incentive for the wolves not to throw him under the bus the way they would with a Minion/etc.? I assume he isn't really designed for Epic Battles, but that ruling does seem like it might render those almost impossible for him to win. As a point of wording, it probably makes more sense to stick with "evil team members (i.e. Werewolf/Vampire/Alien teammates) survive" as a win condition than establish that a "villager" is allowed to die, as people tend to get hung up on whether a third party counts as a "villager".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristinn Pálsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
Thanks for some great pointers.

Judge: When there is a tie we make the two voting-teams that are tied flip over their cards to find the Judge. Most of the time someone knows where the Judge (Prince) is located and that person has just pointed it out. Same problem you will have with the Bodyguard when it has been switched.

Parrot: Yes you are right as we have just tested this one few times it wasn’t a problem, but as I said it would be better for the app to decide similar to the Blob.

Boogie Man: I never play epic battles since most of the time I have new players and it is for many just too complicated. Therefor I didn’t think it trough as such but it can work for any villain team from each of the three concepts. It is an old one and I have just used him myself with Werewolf. I liked the idea of a new own-team like the Tanner and tested this as a character benefitting from another team. Later on in Vampire and Alien more odd-winning-condition characters came and as well the Diseased which has a similar trick of killing voters.

As I say these are just some roles me and my friends have briefly tested for fun. Like to hear some more ideas.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camilo North
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The quick fix for the parrot might just be to flip a coin before the night to determine which neighbor the parrot is attached to. I do also like the idea of the parrot being a villager who has to try and read which neighbor they can trust with their vote, but in practice that might have too many problems mechanically.

I hear you about Epic Battles; I was just wondering since that case was mentioned in the description of the Boogie Man.

I have less going on as far as personal homebrews. Most of my house rules are more mundane attempts to either rebalance the game or simplify rules explanations. The old classics for me are "Minion is a werewolf if there are no actual wolves" and "village can't share victory with the Tanner".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristinn Pálsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
I remembered how we used the Parrot and forgot to mention. Voting with another player was his "night action". So whether he had the card he had to do so. Just like you do even if your card is moved or changed during the night phase. So he could be a villain (WW) when voting like a Parrot. The Parrot card was just a villager when stolen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.