Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the moment finally came when my wife suggested to play a game when we had some guests over.
However, it was only 4 player and I had to sit it out.
Yet I still had to set the game up, explain it to the new players and tear it down aftwerwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
You're like the gaming version of the platonic friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh
Well, the bright side of that - your graciousity as a host has increased, and you spread the love of gaming a little more

When I do a game night I don't usually get to play a game for at least an hour or so - busy greeting, chitchatting, and teaching other people games.
I rather like teaching games to someone who's interested in learning them.
(And except for a very few games - I definitely want to be the main person putting it away!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:
So the moment finally came when my wife suggested to play a game when we had some guests over.
Yet I still had to set the game up, explain it to the new players and tear it down aftwerwards.

It was a social gathering at your house, and you were not able to play the game? Can you explain more of the context, because on the face of it, that seems incredibly odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
The doo-dah man
badge
Where's the men's gaming forum?
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:

What game was it if you don't mind? I have taught games at my house to groups of teenagers (friends of the kids) and sat out, but I would try not to do that in any other situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
No five-player games on the shelf, there are many board games that can handle 4 players. Seven Wonders is five player and is a great game and easy to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be worse. You could have suggested roleplaying then find yourself stuck being the GM.

For the next six months. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:

It was your wife's plan to not have you play because of your silly "I WIN, AGAIN" dance.
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Could be worse. You could have suggested roleplaying then find yourself stuck being the GM.

You just described my life, except that it was around 2 years, not 6 months. Not going to lie, it was actually a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:
According to your profile, you have 108 owned games. It's a shame none of them are five player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:

That's pretty funny.

But to be honest it sounds pretty awesome at the same time. Plenty of times I have sat out of games and just instructed/moderated as required due to there being to many players. Typically this only happens with non / light gamers who I have managed to sell a game to.
This usually works out well as I enjoy teaching others and seeing them discover modern board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least you didn't have to play with noobs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For context, It was Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle.
It was my stepson, his friend and his cousin that were over.
I did try to suggest we play something we call all play, Lover letter, Dixit or Codenames, but my wife just wanted to play harry potter.

Maybe my consolation prize was she did make me a blackforest cake the next day, so I guess there is that. It was just a very odd situation for me when I usually have to beg, pleased bribe and coerce to get people to play a game at my house usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

That happened to me once.

Pete (has been the GM for almost 30 years)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Naaden
United States
Denison
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Ignis aurum probat, miseria fortes viros
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. I live in Texas and all the in-laws are non-gamers. Thankfully, I've introduced their kids to the dark side board games and so I get to play a fair bit with their kids (10 and under).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:
For context, It was Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle.
It was my stepson, his friend and his cousin that were over.
I did try to suggest we play something we call all play, Lover letter, Dixit or Codenames, but my wife just wanted to play harry potter.

Maybe my consolation prize was she did make me a blackforest cake the next day, so I guess there is that. It was just a very odd situation for me when I usually have to beg, pleased bribe and coerce to get people to play a game at my house usually.

The upcoming expansion may add support for a 5th player. You can always look forward to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice move leaving only four playing pieces in the monopoly box.
You are most certainly owed one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ygor
Romania
Transylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sense trouble up ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:

LOL, the same thing happens to me with my kids. They almost never want to play a game with their poor parents, but when their game-loving cousins come over... well! But then there's 4 of them and they want me to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
your graciousity as a host has increased, and you spread the love of gaming a little more.

. . . assuming they liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? I've had fun setting up, explaining, moderating, and not playing 4-player Forbidden Island with non-gaming children. It's almost like I was in the game and the enjoyment on their faces was priceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, the good news is that I finally talked my wife into having a threesome..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
"Well, the good news is that I finally talked my wife into having a threesome..."

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Croswell
United States
heath
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:

You got gamezoned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
It reminds me of those stories where the guy takes his crush to her girlfriend and waits to drive her back once she's done laugh

That doesn't sound like fun though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.