Popular Tags: [View All]
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple months ago I started a thread right when the 4F Legendary expansion's re-release was announced, in the hopes that would mean 4F-related content also coming to VS System, which didn't turn out to be the case, apparently UD are still not allowed to make new content related to 4F.

I had always thought all this had to do with Marvel having lost movie rights for their properties to Fox, but I realized just now the X-Men are in the same basket and yet there is an X-Men faction right in the starter set. So, what is different for the 4F? is there any other legal issues at work here? I'm asking just out of curiosity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
mbmbmbmbmb
The X-men contract and the F4 contract were originally done by different companies and still have different conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
A reprint of a previously released product is not a green light to create new content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I understand, and clearly there is some legal mess which prevents the thing from happening. But it just dawned on me today that the x-men, while apparently tied to the same situation, have no issue in appearing in the game. Hence my curiosity, that's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
clearly there is some legal mess which prevents the thing from happening

That is wrong, actually, from what I've heard. Allegedly what happened was someone at Marvel (Ike Perlmutter I think?) was trying to kill off the X-men and Fantastic Four franchises, because Marvel didn't own the movie rights to them. Reasoning being I guess that they'd rather see the characters die off than boost franchises which would also drive profit for competitors. There might be a business case to be made, but what I'd heard made it seem like it was much more about spite.

There's been a change in management recently, and it seems like they're willing to start using those characters again even though they still don't have the movie rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ike has gone nowhere, as far as I know. He said he was keeping his position at Marvel in addition to his duties in the Trump administration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.