BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: managing threads, replies and notifications on BGG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Derksen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi!

I've got some questions about keeping tabs on threads, files and messages on BGG.

I've posted a few things, including a file, and find it hard to manage these. I subscribed to my own posts so I at least get a message in the upper left corner when someone replies, but is this the easiest way..? Because those links disappear as soon as you've read the new reply, which makes it harder to find the right thread when you just want to check on thumbs ups or downloads for example. I also know you can find some stuff you've posted in your profile-screens, but thats not an easy way to see which thread is which.
Also, is there an other way of getting notifications when someone replied? I find the app even more limited than desktop, but a simple email-notification should be possible, right?

Hope someone can help.
Otherwise, life will find a way
Cheers
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
"The app"? There is no official BGG app, if you want support for it you will need to contact the developers, whoever they may be.

Yes, you can get e-mail notification. On your subscriptions page, select Preferences. The setting you want is the first one in the left column.

There is no simpler way to track your threads, except perhaps bookmarking them, but that becomes unmanageable quite quickly. It sounds like you may have missed the Manage Subscriptions sub-menu, which lists all your subscriptions, and sorts them by type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
chmderksen wrote:
Because those links disappear as soon as you've read the new reply

If you become a patron to the site, you'll get an archive of subscription notifications.

Quote:
which makes it harder to find the right thread when you just want to check on thumbs ups or downloads for example. I also know you can find some stuff you've posted in your profile-screens, but thats not an easy way to see which thread is which.

I remember this desire to stay up to date with every single thumb I got from my early days, but trust me, that'll fade after a few months, assuming you keep on being active. It's just not feasible or worth it. Following actual replies is more worthwhile, and hard enough as it is.

Just in case: You don't manually subscribe to your own content, do you? There's a subscription setting to do this automatically. Look at subscription Preferences: Special Subscriptions - Replies to my content*. With those automatically checked, that leaves only forum threads created by others to which you also replied to check up on if there's any further conversation. Personally for that I just go to the Contributions page in my profile, open the "Replies" links for both "Site Forums" and "Board Game", and open any recent threads which I think might have had further conversation.

For board game forum threads, I also have configured a quicklink to this page, listing all recent threads about games I own or have on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For any posts you're particularly keen to keep track of just add them to your quick bar - that way you're always just one click away from knowing about thumbs etc(or two clicks if you end up with more than 10 things you wish to keep track of at the same time) .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Derksen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi Jason. Thanks for your reply.
I've downloaded the app on Android, looked legit. Lets just forget about that one, my B.

I've enabled e-mail notification, thanks for the tip.
I totally mist the 'manage subscriptions' sub-menu goo oops!

Thanks again. C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Derksen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi Traveler, thanks! Everytime I tried to alter the 'special sub - replies to my content' setting and clicked save it told me 'no subs found', which is weird, but after stubbornly continuing to check that box, it finally said: settings saved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Derksen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks Kim, thats an awesome tip, works fine!
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
chmderksen wrote:
Hi Jason. Thanks for your reply.
I've downloaded the app on Android, looked legit. Lets just forget about that one, my B.

I've enabled e-mail notification, thanks for the tip.
I totally mist the 'manage subscriptions' sub-menu goo oops!

Thanks again. C

The app is legit, just not associated with or operated by the owners of the site. See this thread for ongoing communications about updates, bugs, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.