Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that my games seem to go best for me when I use the following for my first 4 pieces ... Beetle, Beetle, Queen, Ant.

The Beetles are quite useful to allow your queen to escape from being surrounded by moving atop another piece and opening up an exit route for the queen.

They are also quite good at expanding a line of pieces to allow one to move away from it if necessary.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the openings for this neat little game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Hive Strategy
Phlegm (#28702),

We have tested many strats but propably the best first piece is an spider since for the most games it just can't move at all. So you sacrifice a spider, one of the lesser pieces.

You can try Spider, Queen, Ant, Ant and just block the new pieces your opponent brings or use the paratropper opening with beatle, queen, grasshoper, (jump), grasshoper, (jump)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Phlegm (#28702),
One strategy I have (which is probably obvious) is to immobilize ants, even with my own ants. I find as long as I have just one free ant, my opponent is usually significantly paralyzed if all their ants are stuck. Then I try to replace my trapping ant with a different piece, esp a spider

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Nordström
Sweden
Jonkoping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I start with spider, bee, spider when I play against the computer at www.hivemania.com. Most of the time you can trap a bunch of pieces with the second spider, since the computer often places the bee as thrid or fourth move and therefore cannot move pieces.

One thing that I found work very well is to forget about the opponent bee and just focus on locking up so many pieces that he/she cannot surrond your own bee. It doesn't really matter if the opponent can fill 5 of the 6 slots around your queen as long as the last one remains open. When enough opposing pieces are imobilized, then lock up the queen, and use the rest of your insects to surrond it. I especially like to put a beetle on top of her to be able to place my pieces next to her, and then use the beetle to finish her off climbing down the last free slot.

Most games I've played have been resolved by which player has the most locked up pieces. Trapping ants is nice, but I prefer to lock up two other pieces rather than just one ant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been starting with beetle, beetle, bee, hopper.

Lots of flexibility here and you can get the hopper to a distant place if your opponent lets you. The beetles can cause all kinds of problems and really help out defending against pinning attacks.

I've recently tried keeping my ants off the table as long as possible as they are a tremendous threat that can really change the game if used correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.