BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: South Arlington Gamers - 7/15/07 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: texas [+] [View All]
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
flag msg tools
Four of our members met for six hours yesterday for what I've come to call an "irregularly scheduled" get-together of carbon units known as people and cellulose creations known as boardgames.

After consuming my $4.00 iced vanilla latte, Deborah, Fort Worth Jim and I played a game of Deborah's Rumis.

For this particular contest the board we selected was the pyramidal design affectionately known as the "Coricancha" which could give rise to the following exchange...

"Coricancha who?"

"Cory cancha come out and play?"

Anyways, I digress.

Due to my dominating the bottom level of the pyramid I was able to rack-up several cheaply-obtained points to finish with 26, while Deborah fought hard and earned 21. Jim was new to this gaming device and managed 16 points. Rumis was an excellent choice to get things going; it is quick playing, easy to understand and in a word, fun.

Next up was my Blokus, a game that would also work that part of our brains dedicated to spatial reasoning.

With three players, green, the last color to be played was rotated among the 3 of us for about 6 or 7 turns until Beth arrived. Rather than start over she played her very first game of Blokus with those same green pieces. This was a practice game since Blokus was new to Deborah, Beth and Jim. The final score was not recorded as it hardly mattered. After this inauguration I suggested we play Team Blokus using a Battle of the Sexes theme. Jim and I (average age about 62) and Deborah and Beth (average age considerable younger) would square off to get a glimpse into the age-old question, are males better able to perform tasks related to spatial reasoning?

Three consecutive games were played to settle the matter, and the results were consistent and lopsided.

Game One - Mike (28) + Jim (6) = -34 points
Deborah (22) + Beth (31) = -53 points

Jim was the hero in this one. Deborah came out swinging (I played blue and her yellow was to my left). Her aggressive play totally walled me in on my left flank which left me seeking space on my right side, with little success. Jim found a way to play all but 6 of his red squares and saved the day.

Game Two - Mike (4) + Jim (25) = -29 points
Deborah (21) + Beth (20) = -41 points

Wherein I get my mojo workin'!

Game Three - Mike (7) + Jim (15) = -22 points
Deborah (16) + Beth (31) = -47 points

I like Blokus but my love for it fails to reach the level of passion. Still, of all the games I've played, on-line, with young children, high school kids, other gamers, this particular session was most enjoyable, and all of us, win or lose, found the exercise to be quite enjoyable. Final score: Old Dudes (-)85, the Younger Ladies (-141). Jim, we got lucky this time!

Santiago, sans one plantation tile, was our next engagement.

Beth and Deborah were playing their 2nd game of this Amigo wonder (I've always wondered how such a small game gets such a big box!) but Santiago was new to Jim. It was new, but that didn't stop him from prevailing in a bitterly-contended, but tight scoring competition.

Jim - 109 Escudos
Deborah - 97 Escudos
Beth and Mike - 93 Escudos

I am no longer of the opinion that this game only plays well with five players...four seems to work just fine! The only problem, and its been discussed on BGG before, is the lack of canal resources that 5 players will more often experience. During several rounds there were "pre-moistened" fields that the high bidders could claim without any need to influence the canal overseer's placement of the next canal. Nonetheless, I found our four player game quite engrossing, and so did my playing partners. Jim once again proved the old adage, "Old age and treachery overcomes youth and skill" as he grasped this little game's purpose and pocketed the victory.

After the Battle of Blokus it was decided that we would engage in a contest to determine who could create the longest train routes with a game of Metro.

Metro was new to Jim and seemed to have an issue with the tile orientation thing in this game. The arrows on the board indicate the "orientation" of a tile placed on it. Jim tended to reverse his tiles and was temporarily known as Wrong Way Jim, as in, "Wrong way, Jim!" The ladies rose to this tile-laying occasion and amassed a plethora of points, each gaining 74 and celebratory high-fives were exchanged.

Beth & Deborah 74
Mike 49
Jim 34

Our gaming was over, as it was approaching 9:00 pm and our friendly Borders Bookstore was about to close. Jim headed for his home, while Deborah, Beth and I went to B.J.'s Brewhouse, and enjoyed ourselves further. While refreshing ourselves with food and drink, I took the opportunity to teach those two the essentials of Hive.

After some instructive game play with Beth, I turned the game over to the two ladies, to see how they would fare playing a game "crawling with possibilities."

One of them won, and one of them lost...I believe it was Deborah who managed to surround Beth's hapless queen bee. After additional conversation and a hearty chorus of "Getting to Know You" we abandoned B.J.'s and called it a night.

Sunday evening is a wonderful time to play boardgames, and this particular Sunday was no exception.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.