Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the partner card Froth Floatation Patent (Card #39)
Quote:
Your mines always have 3 cubes regardless of Regime.

Do the cubes drop to zero in a depression? It seems thematic that the card would not protect income in a depression.

Edit: at the end of discussion below, we realize the rules clearly say it drops to zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depression is not a regime. Zero cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack is right.

FWIW, Martin confirmed it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
Jack is right.

FWIW, Martin confirmed it here.

Thank you both for your input and opinions. I will "house rule" that depression will affect the mines despite the Froth Patent so we seem to agree in our interpretation.

I appreciate Martin's input in the other thread but I do not agree that he has answered this specific question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomAquin wrote:
I appreciate Martin's input in the other thread but I do not agree that he has answered this specific question.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

In the other thread, I asked, "Does the patent accord your mines income during depression?"

Isn't that what you asked?

Martin answered, "No."

Doesn't "does not accord income" mean "you have zero cubes"?

Maybe you were thinking about some different timing - e.g., if you play the patent while already in depression (or vice versa)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your last comment requesting clarification, Gillum. I mean no criticism of Martin's input; he had every right to make his statement as it stands.

I am being somewhat pedantic in my view of Martin's answer but I note that Martin prefaced his answer by noting "I don't have definitive references for these, but IMO the answers are..."

Further to his disclaimer, I was unable to establish if Martin is officially involved in the game (as publisher, co-designer, playtester, etc) and therefore in a position to clarify. Lastly, Martin did not provide reasons for his opinion.

For that reason I felt the discussion was not yet closed (assuming anyone wished to add their comments in support or disagreement to our rules interpretation.) I am one of those people who is usually not fully satisfied until I see a convincing argument or a publisher/game designer providing their comments on a rules question. Credit to Phil Eklund for being very good at doing this.

I hope neither you nor Martin were offended by my statement. I had edited it several times trying NOT to be offensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense taken.

Martin is an author of the rules summary and an analysis that are included with the living rules.

He is not an official authority on the rules, as he has made clear on a few occasions.

But he is usually a reliable resource absent direct feedback from the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Gillum! Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, call me blind.

In rereading the rules (collector's edition) I found the following on pg 14 under I. Depression Section 1

"Even mines protected by patents fall to zero value." blush

Seems definitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this text appears even in a version that I have from back in 2012.

I'm not sure how we missed it.

(FWIW, the rules say "improved", not "protected".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.