Maurizio Moretti
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I activate this power, then the cooldown start.
When this power is finished?
At next time phase? (should be, in my mind)

Or something else (the duration is the cooldown, is only for an attack and then vanishes, or...)

Thank you all heroes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
you use the skill vs 1 single attack, then flip the card to its cooldown; it is not an ongoing effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Moretti
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One shot power, yes seems reasonable.
I think should be the default for all power cards indicating +X to whatever with a cost.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borlak B
msg tools
It's valid for a single attack in which you want to use it to defend against. Indicated to be reactive by the blue shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Moretti
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the blue shield is reaction.
So I must may activate it only when I am under attack? Or I can activate it for future use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kand Affar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
kurtzelda wrote:
Yes, the blue shield is reaction.
So I must activate it when I am under attack? Or I can activate it for future use?

It is a reaction, so you have to activate when you are attacked.

There are some powers that are actions that apply to the next attack. Those are activated in advance, but they expire at the next time phase if unused.

I don't think there is any power you can activate this round to start the cool down and gain the benefit next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cozar wrote:

There's nothing in the rules that says you must use reactions when attacked. I think it's clear it's intended to be used at your option. Making you use it against a weak attack that wouldn't have done any damage anyway would make it virtually useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kand Affar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Cozar wrote:

There's nothing in the rules that says you must use reactions when attacked. I think it's clear it's intended to be used at your option. Making you use it against a weak attack that wouldn't have done any damage anyway would make it virtually useless.

The question was whether he can use it when not being attacked for future use, and my answer is no, you can't do that.

You are correct that you don't have to use it if you don't want to, but that wasn't the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cozar wrote:
The question was whether he can use it when not being attacked for future use, and my answer is no, you can't do that.

You are correct that you don't have to use it if you don't want to, but that wasn't the question.

You wrote, "you have to activate [it] when you are attacked," but I guess you meant, "you may only activate it when you are attacked."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kand Affar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Cozar wrote:

You wrote, "you have to activate [it] when you are attacked," but I guess you meant, "you may only activate it when you are attacked."

I know what I wrote. I also know it was completely understandable as "may only" in context of the question that was asked, and that your post added no value to the conversation because the issue you are attempting to clarify is not one that was at issue.

Need another example of where "have to" can be synonymous with "may only"?:

In the USA, you have to drive on the right hand side of the road. In England, you have to drive on the left hand side of the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cozar wrote:
I also know it was completely understandable as "may only" in context of the question that was asked, and that your post added no value to the conversation because the issue you are attempting to clarify is not one that was at issue.

You seem awfully indignant. If you write in a way that most people reading it think you mean something else, then clarifying it certainly is useful. I thought you had misunderstood the rules and I was trying to help you. It seems that in fact you had just written unclearly, so I wasn't as helpful to you as I thought, but it still helped others who might not know the actual rule and might get a wrong idea by reading your posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
Cozar wrote:
I also know it was completely understandable as "may only" in context of the question that was asked, and that your post added no value to the conversation because the issue you are attempting to clarify is not one that was at issue.

You seem awfully indignant. If you write in a way that most people reading it think you mean something else, then clarifying it certainly is useful. I thought you had misunderstood the rules and I was trying to help you. It seems that in fact you had just written unclearly, so I wasn't as helpful to you as I thought, but it still helped others who might not know the actual rule and might get a wrong idea by reading your posting.

"Most" seems like an exaggeration here. His meaning was, to me, clear from context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.