Popular Tags: [View All]
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I really want to thank Gremlins/Ares for releasing both a quest editor and card templates. For details, see update 61 here.

In the update they introduced some card templates

Kickstarter Update 61 wrote:
And as we're talking about you Heroes turning creative, we also have prepared the downloadable PDF blank card templates.

Blank Card Templates

I must be honest, doing these templates was a little harder than we thought - deciding which was the right amount of information to include and what to leave out was not so easy. So please consider them as a "beta" of sorts, too, and give us your feedback whether you find them useful or not, and how you'd like us to revise them in a future release.

Since they asked us for feedback, I thought I’d dedicate a thread here so Simone and team can see BGG feedback here instead of KS comments (which isn’t ideal for capturing feedback IMHO). I started making a PrinterStudio Photoshop template for monster cards based on the PDF released and have started a list of questions. Having done a few card templates over the years, I recognize how difficult these are to create – and empathize with their comment above about them being “harder than we thought”. Personally, I’d like to see them release all possible card artwork so folks like me can piece it all together into a Photoshop template. I’m not 100% sure I follow their current strategy as it appears they’re releasing major permutations of cards hoping that will suffice (like 2 versions of the Green/Blue monster cards).

As for the templates I’ll be working on – I get my cards printed at PrinterStudio and therefore use their templates. Cards come back looking incredible. The unfortunate thing with PS is their Mini European cards are slightly different than the cards in S&S (44mm x 67mm). If folks sleeve their cards, the difference isn’t easily noticed. The OCD crowd might not be thrilled with the difference – cards in the PDF are 43.52mm x 67.48mm.

Based on the work I’ve done thus far, here are my questions/feedback

We don’t have all the icons necessary to make proper cards. Will you please release every icon that can appear on a card? Icons such as treasure, money, fighting style, favored target, etc. Many could be pulled from the rulebook PDF, but that’s tedious and at a poor resolution compared to the released card PDF.

It would be nice to get monster artwork released so the community can create variants of existing monsters. That way we can use the base miniatures with new variant cards and be consistent with base artwork. Please consider putting out a monster artwork asset pack.

Hero Sheet Template. It would be nice to get this in a PDF so the community can create new heroes.

Hero Card Templates. I believe the community would enjoy making new heroes and therefore need hero card templates in order to do so.

Hero Powers. Need this template in order to complete a new Hero design.

Fonts – Please tell us which fonts are being used on these cards, and where are they used. So far, I found Blackmoor, FontAres, and Sherwood being used in the quest editor. But there are definitely others required. For instance, the numbers indicating health/soul points are none of these fonts. A close match to what’s on the card is Garamond, but I’d like to be precise if possible.

Full bleed option. It would be REALLY nice if you released full bleed cards for folks like myself who want to professionally print cards to sit alongside the base cards. Yes, we can create these full bleed areas with brute force Photoshop magic, but it would be so much easier if you released a full bleed version too. (I realize this is a minor ask).

Trap Cards. I don't see any trap cards in the PDF template released. Do you plan on including trap card templates in the future?

This is what I have thus far.

Thanks for the commitment to giving us the resources to make cards that sit alongside custom quests! Talk about being Legend. thumbsup

Edit: Added Trap card question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with what your saying!!.we do need more icons etc to help design our own monsters etc.
the templates are a great bonus...but a little sparse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to include alien art from Galaxy Defenders so we could integrate them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MM, you're a tremendous asset to every game I've seen you involved in. I know you've done this Photoshop thing for a number of games - I'm just wondering how long it will be before companies start hiring you just to do their "releasable assets" for games like this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rpvt wrote:
MM, you're a tremendous asset to every game I've seen you involved in. I know you've done this Photoshop thing for a number of games - I'm just wondering how long it will be before companies start hiring you just to do their "releasable assets" for games like this!

Haaa! That's nice of you to say, Joe. Thank you. I am an amature at best, but enjoy creating custom content. The way I see it, if I make these templates, odds are someone will create something cool with them.

If ares/gremlins wants access to these assets, they can have them free of charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I added trap cards to the OP. I hadn't noticed until this weekend that there were no Trap card templates in the PDF supplied.

Also - I tried snagging elements from the rulebook to place on the cards and the resolution from the rulebook is pretty poor. Personally, I wouldn't pay to get cards printed with those mis-matched resolutions.

Ares/Gremlins, please release ALL the appropriate artwork for the cards so we can create quality community content. The PDF is at 300DPI and my ask is for similar resolution on the artwork.

At this point, without decent artwork, I don't see much point in trying to produce community card templates.

Gremlins/Ares, it would be nice to hear what you're thinking here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was hoping for some basic feedback from Gremlins/Ares by now. Especially since they asked us for feedback in the last KS update. I'm sure they are all busy.

A suggestion.

If the template process is overwhelming and you're not sure how to fulfill the commitment, I think you could go a long way by releasing the rulebook in a high resolution format and remove the password protection someone built into it. This would allow template builders to take the work you've done and turn it into real community templates.

We need high resolution artwork to create quality templates that people will turn into professionally printed cards at places like PrinterStudio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know bumping doesn't work on BGG, since it won't move this thread higher, but I sure would like to get some answers here. I just got Massive Darkness and I'm thinking of making cards for a bunch of the minis in that box. More robust templates would be very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
VixenTorGames wrote:
I know bumping doesn't work on BGG, since it won't move this thread higher, but I sure would like to get some answers here. I just got Massive Darkness and I'm thinking of making cards for a bunch of the minis in that box. More robust templates would be very nice.

Yeah ... 2 months of silence from the developer doesn't bode well. Based on the update that gave us the current templates, it sounds to me like they are/were overwhelmed by the effort to provide us realistic card templates. There's a ton of art that we need right now. And we need it at high resolution in order to get printed professionally. Personally, I won't bother continuing down this road without proper, high res, artwork.

Something my wife always tells me - "no answer, is an answer". Their silence on this topic says a great deal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Knapp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah that's a little annoying. I was thrilled to see this post and was really hoping they would have responded. I guess it's just up to us, the users, to figure out how to go about all this. /sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Adventurers,

Thank you so much for your feedbacks, Ares is evaluating the question cause what you are asking is more or less the entire graphic comparment of S&S, and it is a matter that must be evaluated accurately, as you can easily imagine.
Another small aspect to evaluate, with a less impact of course, is the ratio between efforts and benefits for our community (i.e. you guys), the biggest example is the quest editor, a very expensive software, created for Windows and Mac platforms (as requested), I remember it was really appreciated during the KS campaign, but today, after some months from its release, really few quests were made (3 quests and two tests in total).
So, to summarise, we will expand the blank templates for sure, but currently I'm not able to tell you how and when BUT in the meanwhile, if you have done enemies or other custom cards in form of text, and they are accurate and tested, then send them to me, I will do my best to convert them in the official format.

Thanks to all of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To be fair, Simone, we don't have a lot of tools in our toolbox. I have a box full of miniatures but can only use the gremlins, orcs and raiders (yes, I could use the GD cards, but I don't have minis for them since I didn't buy that game). I know I've been waiting for cards for the other guys before I start making scenarios. My wife has been asking me to make some, so once there's something to work with, I think you'll see more custom stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Knapp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome thank you! We know you guys have a lot on your plate and it's good to hear that you are expanding it. No rush, just wanted to make sure it was on your radar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Royce
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

I have created pack of enemies (zombies) here : https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/155408/zombiepack-crossov...
Only with blank card template and icons from rulebook.
Feel free to give your point of view about this work.

And now I'm looking for Master Enemy blank card template to go futher. Did you know where I can find that ? Is it possible to give them available like other blank cards template ?

Thanks
Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister Swarm
United States
California
flag msg tools
RonRoyce wrote:
Hello,

I have created pack of enemies (zombies) here : https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/155408/zombiepack-crossov...
Only with blank card template and icons from rulebook.
Feel free to give your point of view about this work.

And now I'm looking for Master Enemy blank card template to go futher. Did you know where I can find that ? Is it possible to give them available like other blank cards template ?

Thanks
Ron

Brilliant!

I was already planning on making some enemy cards for the Zombiecide miniatures! Thanks for putting in the work!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.