Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my usual wargaming friends has been asking if we could have some sort of way to of playing a Germany that tries more aggressively to use the Ukrainian population against the Soviets. I know several games have some rules for this, and I have this proposal, what do you all think?

Optional Unit.

Ukrainian Army. It's a 2-3 one sided German ally infantry army. The other side would say "place in destroyed unit box."

Once the Germans hold Kiev, they can discard one card at the end of their turn to get the Ukrainian Army added to their forces. It is placed in the Destroyed Units box. On a later turn they can place the army by paying one card and placing it in Kiev.

If it is destroyed, it goes in the destroyed box, and can be returned by paying one card and placing it in Kiev. If Kiev is not available when it is destroyed, it can not be rebuilt until Kiev is controlled by Germany.

So the idea is that the first card play is to pay the administrative costs of forming Ukraine into an actual "liberated" puppet state. After that, it can form an army, but since it's Germany (not the governments of Italy, Rumania, etc.) who are supplying the arms and equipment, you have to pay for another army, as opposed to waiting 3 turns to get it for free. The Kiev location requirement is an easy reminder that it's a national army on the board, and gives it a little special power, since that could be really useful at times.

Opinions? Balance Issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
natx 17
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freitag wrote:
One of my usual wargaming friends has been asking if we could have some sort of way to of playing a Germany that tries more aggressively to use the Ukrainian population against the Soviets. I know several games have some rules for this, and I have this proposal, what do you all think?

Optional Unit.

Ukrainian Army. It's a 2-3 one sided German ally infantry army. The other side would say "place in destroyed unit box."

Once the Germans hold Kiev, they can discard one card at the end of their turn to get the Ukrainian Army added to their forces. It is placed in the Destroyed Units box. On a later turn they can place the army by paying one card and placing it in Kiev.

If it is destroyed, it goes in the destroyed box, and can be returned by paying one card and placing it in Kiev. If Kiev is not available when it is destroyed, it can not be rebuilt until Kiev is controlled by Germany.

So the idea is that the first card play is to pay the administrative costs of forming Ukraine into an actual "liberated" puppet state. After that, it can form an army, but since it's Germany (not the governments of Italy, Rumania, etc.) who are supplying the arms and equipment, you have to pay for another army, as opposed to waiting 3 turns to get it for free. The Kiev location requirement is an easy reminder that it's a national army on the board, and gives it a little special power, since that could be really useful at times.

Opinions? Balance Issues?

hmmm... I asked something similar some weeks ago, regarding the Spanish "División Azul". Although your idea is nice and refers to a bigger issue, I think that adding one counters would be a HUGE advantage for the German player. Even with the limitations you mention, having just one more counter gives a lot of freedom, specially for closing gaps or surrounding enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natx17 wrote:

hmmm... I asked something similar some weeks ago, regarding the Spanish "División Azul". Although your idea is nice and refers to a bigger issue, I think that adding one counters would be a HUGE advantage for the German player. Even with the limitations you mention, having just one more counter gives a lot of freedom, specially for closing gaps or surrounding enemies.

Yep. Those smaller units are already included in the "Big Picture" of the units already on the board and event cards.

You could say that the Ukrainians and other minor troops are covered by Event Card #25 "Ersatz Units" and card #30 "Last Reserves" already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.