Subject: Line of sight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Zonks
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Image of situation:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B08VsgSetM1URkp0Y0U5WjVfZHM...

Can the player shoot the zombie? The walls are in the appropriate spot.

Gabe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't seem like it (you can only see through the wall you're directly next to, and the Player would need to see through the wall running across the top of that building), and don't the gray colored squares reveal this fact already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say no. Why would there be LoS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there is no LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, are we looking at the Blue circle in "A" or the word "Player" next to space "A"?

The word "Player" would have LOS to the word "Zombie" because drawing a line center to center wouldn't cross the wall (just touch it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
Wait, are we looking at the Blue circle in "A" or the word "Player" next to space "A"?

The word "Player" would have LOS to the word "Zombie" because drawing a line center to center wouldn't cross the wall (just touch it).

I agree with this. The word Player has LoS to Zombie. I don't think it is necessary to draw from centre to centre though (this is not ASL). It is enough that the spaces are symmetrically arranged in relation to the corner of the building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Zonks
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Yes I couldn't quite erase the markers. So I wrote player and zombie. Ignore the markers, just look at the word "zombie" and "player" and where the walls are. I thought I would have line of site, but the rest of the table thought I would not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
I don't think it is necessary to draw from centre to centre though...

I think center to center is the only logic that tells you that A does not have LoS to B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going center-to-center (and I don't know why you wouldn't be; it's an robust and objective method in a grid-based system) then Yes, Player has LOS to Zombie.

The line that passes between those 2 squares has a slop of 1/2, and therefore MUST pass exactly through Square A's top-right point. Walls do not cross this point (even tho they touch it), and so LOS passes through it freely.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
Mattias wrote:
I don't think it is necessary to draw from centre to centre though...

I think center to center is the only logic that tells you that A does not have LoS to B.

I do know that centre to centre works well in other games (being an ASLer and all). I was more trying to say that perhaps this game should be more forgiving. Perhaps even allowing to measure from anywhere in the space.

Jason has said he wanted simple LoS rules.

In any case LoS in the example given would exist if you go by the official rules.

In this game I don't think the Zombie player should be too bothered about a few Zombies lost - it is part of the fun seeing them smashed left and right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting the 10th Anniverary Edition, I re-read the rules and noticed that this game does NOT, in fact, use Grid-based LOS (center to center). Ive been doing this wrong for 10 years >< but heck if I know what "right" is - there doesn't seem to be a formal definition or deductibly consistent system from the diagrams in the rulebook.

The rules do have an example that covers the situation presented by the original poster (Can Heroes see at direct diagonals other than 1:1?) It looks like this:

OOOOOXX
OOOOXXX
OOHBBXX
OOOBBXX
OOOXXXX
OOOAXXX

H = Hero
B = Building (LOS ok)
X = LOS blocked
O = LOS OK
A = square Hero should have LOS to in a grid-system, but doesn't in the LNOE rules.

So that answers the OP - no, the Hero doesn't have LOS. But ... why? We know LOS is fine with direct diagonals, even through points that share a corner with a building. Given this, a center-to-center grid-based system of LOS would mean that the H-square should have LOS to the A-square - the LOS line passes exactly through the point that the south-west corner of the building shares. Indeed, you can see this in action on the north-west corner; the Hero clearly has LOS to the space diagonal-up-right of him because his LOS line passes exactly through that corner point. So why doesn't he have LOS to square-A??

The answer must be "because Jason Hill isn't using the common grid-based, center-to-center LOS mechanics" OR "he is, but there is some concession not mentioned in the rules (like 'only LOS diagonals whose slope is exactly 1 can pass through points shared by buildings')". Either way, we need to know what the formal definition of the system is, cause I can think of a dozen situations that aren't definitively covered by the 4 diagrams in the Rulebooks. For instance:

OOOOOOOO
OOHOOOOO
OOOBBXX?
OOOXXXXX
OOOAXXXX
OOO?XXXX
OOO?XXXX

H = Hero
B = Building (LOS not ok, cause Hero not touching walls)
X = LOS blocked
O = LOS OK
A = square Hero should have LOS to in a grid-system, but doesn't in the LNOE rules.
? = only Jason knows

I would like know if the ?s above have LOS or not and, most importantly, why? so that I can apply that reasoning to any other situations I run into.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.