Subject: DUNKIRK: France 1940 -- Hello from the Designer! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Bryant
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Doug Bryant here, designer of DUNKIRK: France 1940, brought to you by Worthington Publishing.

The game is now available on Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1456271622/dunkirk-fran...

Allow me to share some details about the game. In future posts, I will share the reasoning behind the design decisions that I made when creating the game.

GENERAL OVERVIEW

DUNKIRK: France 1940 is a six-turn game which depicts the German invasion of the Netherlands, Belgium, and France in the spring of 1940. The game uses wooden blocks as the playing pieces, with each block having anywhere from one to four "steps" of strength.

Unit types are Infantry, Mechanized, and Armored. The game board is a hex-grid map which depicts the area over which was fought the portion of the campaign depicted in the game.

Game-play is supplemented by the use of cards. Each side (German and Allied) has a deck of cards. Players receive some cards at the start of each game turn. Cards may be used for one of three possible functions: BATTLE, REINFORCEMENT, or EVENT.

BATTLE card use involves things such as Air Strikes, Artillery Strikes, etc.

REINFORCEMENT card use is done at the end of each game turn and allows players to add steps to their blocks in play.

EVENT card use allows for the play of events that occurred or might have occurred during the actual battle. These include things such as German Paratroops at Eben Emael, the use of Pontoon bridges, and the Dynamo operation at Dunkirk.

Blocks are organized into FORMATIONS. Each Formation has a "Command Chit" that is placed into an opaque container at the start of each game turn. The Command Chits are drawn randomly. When a Formation's chit is drawn, that Formation moves and then engages in battle.

Combat is resolved using ten-sided dice. The Terrain Effects chart outlines the sequence in which unit types fire in battle, with the defending block(s) always firing first in each class. For example, in Clear terrain the sequence is Armor, Mech, and then Infantry.

Victory is determined Victory Points. The Victory Points for each game are based upon which of six German Strategy Cards the German player selects at the start of the game. (These are not the same as the regular player cards that each side receives each turn during the game.) Each German Strategy Card outlines objectives for the German player to achieve, some bonus objectives, and also what objectives the Allied player can achieve to deduct Victory Points from the German total.

Experienced players should be able to complete a game in somewhere between one hour and forty-five minutes to two hours.

That's a short overview of the game! I will post more information in the coming days! In the meantime, feel free to check out the Kickstarter page. If you select the "Campaign" tab and scroll to the bottom, you will see some videos that I have created to help explain the game.

All the best,

DB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have backed your game and am excited to play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Bryant
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Kirk! I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Martinez
Puerto Rico
Guaynabo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just backed! Good luck with the KS campaign...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Bryant
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Manuel! I appreciate it!

DB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.