Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The setup indicates you don't use these in "first game." Does that mean, they are meant to only be used if you have played the game already? They don't seem to be called out like that anywhere else except a "if used" in the Planning phase section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D B
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First game = haven't played already.
2nd game and thereafter = have played already.

It's a recommendation by the designers to help ensure you get the basics down before adding a bit more complexity. Not uncommon in rulebooks and you can choose to follow their advice or not.

"If used" references are just that- if not used then X doesn't apply. I don't think it's essential to have "first game" stamped everywhere. If someone missed that early in the rules, the "if used" mention should give them a hint that they need to read thoroughly to grasp the meaning.

I had to go back to find the Organizing Tile sidebar reference, only to see I'd read everything around it but skipped that paragraph. Duh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I mean, I understand what those terms meant (hence my question), but found it odd the rules never state something along the lines of "want more complexity? use the special action cards in your next game," which is also common in rulebooks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydawnictwo Galakta
Poland
Kraków
Małopolskie
flag msg tools
publisher
Hello Keith!

Special Actions are a bit more advanced concept of the game and that's why we recommend to play the first game without them. Sorry if it was unclear when do you actually use them! Thanks for this feedback and we will try to avoid such misunderstandings in our next game

FB: www.fb.com/galakta-games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D B
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We played our first game last night and stuck to not using the special ability cards. As useful as they are, we had enough going on to learn and figure out to keep us busy. We will definitely use them for our next Age of Thieves session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.