Hide
4 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Four Heroes per Player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kwan Ng
msg tools
My friend and I often find ourselves limited by the three hero staple of the game and as we own so many were brainstorming how to introduce a fourth (so we would have 8 in total). We've tested it on Journey Along the Anduin and enjoyed ourselves greatly (cards on the table (pun intended) we won both times, albeit once barely just due to certain card draws).

The following would happen:

--Start with the four heroes threat added together instead of the typical three.
--You now only lose (via threat) if your threat level is 60. This is an adjustment directly combating the additional threat you start with. Shouldn't be a problem since the threat trackers let you go to 100 anyway. This allows the fourth character's threat delta against ten to be reasonably painful or beneficial. This additional ten also generally allows the same amount of 'space' between start and losing due to threat.
--Draw an additional encounter card during all Quest phases. The idea is that two more heroes is essentially another player (except more advantageous because you can create better synergy with four heroes in one team) and that would be the rule with three players.
--Any time there is a card with X as the number of players, the number of players is always one more than how many you're actually playing. i.e. we're playing with two players, we count as three for all intents and purpose.
--First player draws two player cards instead of one. So every turn the players in total draw three player cards. Directly aligned with the three encounter cards drawn every turn.

Concerning issues:

--The extra coin... that is really helpful. We're playing dual spheres each, so it eliminates our weaker sphere of one resource a turn. Which on one hand is more fun. But certainly eliminates a weakness.
--Engagement cost of enemies... basically everyone engages at all times.

Would like to hear some feedback on what others have tried and had fun doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're getting the extra resource and an extra card I'd only push threat to 55 to keep a sense of urgency to the game, but I haven't tested this and it's you fun, so do what you want. I think the negative adjustments are appropiate, imo.

Neat idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've toyed with doing something like this as well.
Please report back on how well it works!

Personally, I thought of simply allowing four heroes but keeping the threat threshold at 50. Your allowed to play with two heroes, after all. I think the stress of being crushed by threat sufficiently offsets the benefits of the extra hero. But I never test-drove this approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
I've never tried anything for 2 players, but the modified Fellowship rules work well for solo players, especially for those with small card pools. You may find them of interest:

Basically these rules combine 2 hands into one. The advantage of this is that the bookkeeping is easier, but you still get the benefits of two hands.

There is a thread in the files section, but rather than try to find that, it's easier if I copy my own variant on this system below:

DRJ VARIANT - LORD OF THE RINGS – MODIFIED FELLOWSHIP RULES
ADAPTED FROM "SIMBO SMITH"

These rules are for solo players who want to play with 6 heroes all at once in one group, rather than split across two hands. How to play this variant and the rules changes are shown below:

GAME SETUP
Have one player deck of 50 cards as per normal. Draw 8 cards as your starting hand. You may mulligan.

Choose more than 3 heroes (usually 6) and lay them side by side all in one hand.

When calculating your threat, use 2 threat trackers. When you add up your heroes' starting threat you divide it in half and you put each half on one threat tracker. So if your starting threat is 60, you'd put 30 on each tracker. If it’s 61, you'd put 31 on one and 30 on the other.

RESOURCE PHASE
Draw 2 cards from your deck into your hand.

Each hero gains one resource as per normal.

PLANNING PHASE
There are no changes to this

QUEST PHASE
This is exactly the same as per normal, but play two cards from the encounter deck into the staging area.

TRAVEL PHASE

ENCOUNTER PHASE

COMBAT PHASE

REFRESH PHASE
You add 1 threat to each threat tracker at the end of the round.

CARD EFFECTS
When it comes to any card effect that talks about the number of players, you always use 2 but you play the game as if you were 1 person. There is no 'first' player.

When you have to add threat to your tracker due to a card effect or failed quest resolution, you always add it to the lowest one (if they are both the same then obviously it doesn't matter which one you choose). You are not allowed to split the cost up and put half on each tracker - you always have to add the whole lot to the lowest one.

When you have to work out what your threat is during the game, you always take the highest one. So if your threat trackers were showing 35 and 33, your threat is 35, enemies will engage the entire group at 35.

All the other rules stay the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.