Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristof Tersago
Belgium
Sint Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been tradition over the years that my brother organises a game evening on his birthday. Not to play the latest Knizia or Diplomacy but for the lighter, more corny games in which the fun of the atmosphere is more important than the fun of the game. Since I was able to lay hands on 'Niets aan te geven' (Or 'Contraband') a few years ago, this game has become a must on these evenings.

We were with a group of seven players, one too many according to the rules but it worked out. Every player showed his own way of being the customs officer, some believing everybody, some believing nobody. After two or three people had been customs officer the game got in higher gear when we started to pass cards without looking. Just taking one of at random, adding a new one and paying 225 for a camera and a box of sigares. The chance is high that he's lying but with our sligthly modified house rules, it's a good deal for customs. So he let's his pass and the next player does the same. And this goes on until the customs agent is getting to anxious and wants to know what's going around. As I said : these evenings are for corny games.

The best thing this time happened in the last round, when my niece was the customs agent. She started of by saying that nobody would fool here since she was in Human Resources and she knows when people are faking. I declared two box of cigars, which she believed, and the next player, my brother-in-law, put down the crown. She had missed that one already. So the next player again declared two boxes of cigars, customs let it pass and a box of jewels was put down. This time nothing was declared but customs didn't buy it so she asked to see the cards and the diplomcay case came down (which in our house rules is sufficient to get away with nothing to declare).
So after three turns, she already missed the crown, a box of jewels and had to pay 200.

This still is one of the best bluff games there are if the group you are playing with, doesn't take gaming to seriously. And although I do play the heavier games on a regular basis, I still look forward to this evening of lighter games. Certainly when 'Niets aan te geven' comes on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Douwstra
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very recognizable!

I've played the dutch version a great number of times on family occasions. It became a tradition that everybody loved.. but now I haven't played it for over 5 years

I just bought it again, hope I can have the same fun with it with my friends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.