Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though long extensive reviews seem te be the most popular reviews on BGG, I myself just don't have the time or the patience to read those.
I prefer quick overviews where I can get some insights into why this game may or may not be attractive to me.
My reviews are targeted at a similar audience, and just consist of my pros and cons coming from:
1) First impressions (before playing my first game)
2) Impressions after the first game
3) Current feelings (after at least 10 plays)

First impressions:
+ I very much like the concept; I really wanted a good co-op about a group of superheroes fighting a supervillain
+ Nice cartoony artwork
- I would have preferred familiar superheroes (Marvel, DC)

Impressions after the first game:
+ That was tough! This is a good challenge
+ This really pulls me into the the story of a group of superheroes fighting a supervillain, as we each control one character (much more than legendary, where all players get some cards for all heroes in play)
+ Great co-op that really relies on everybody playing their part, rather than letting one person "solve the puzzle" mostly by himself, or everything being "played by committee"
- It is a little hard to keep track of all the different modifiers; I'm sure we missed some

Current feelings (18 plays into it):
- We tried it with two players (box says it does support that), but then found out that two players can only play this if they both control two characters (we did try with one each, but no way we can win then). That was a bit of a disappointment, as it takes away the feeling that I am playing a superhero. Now all of a sudden I am a Nick Fury kind of guy, sending his soldiers into battle, instead of going into battle myself
+ Lots of variety with all the possible combinations of heroes, villains and locations, and even plenty more available in various expansions
+ In many other games there is only a small variance between different characters, but here every hero and villain is totally different from the others, giving it loads of replayability
+ Different villains and the optional advanced mode give you the option to crank up the difficulty once it gets too easy

End conclusion (well, for now):
Great tough co-op. This is the game I had hoped (and expected) legendary to be. I Very much like this. Still would have loved it more, though, if this had included our most beloved Marvel superheroes.

If you'd like to read more of my reviews, check out Still fun after ten plays? - All reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice tight review. I agree with your comparison of handling multiple heroes playing more like Nick Fury. I've tried playing completely solo with my physical set and found it pretty hard to do...until I switched to playing with the iOS app which is a spectacular implementation.

I could see how you would like to see your favorite Marvel characters, but I also give GtG big props for creating their own IP that is pretty fun and well thought out....and I am a DC guy anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several fun ways to play 2 player with one hero per player. If you look for Support Deck and Sidekick Deck in the variants forums, you will find some fun ways to handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizerak wrote:
There are several fun ways to play 2 player with one hero per player. If you look for Support Deck and Sidekick Deck in the variants forums, you will find some fun ways to handle it.

Will check those out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know if you want more info on how to use a Support deck. Also, with the Vengeance expansion (and the Villains of the Multiverse expansion), a new style of play is introduced which allows you to face one villain per player, so a 2v2 match is very doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
2 player variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I am really glad they did not just use existing characters. Those come with preconceived notions how they should play, and villain's weaknesses are already known. This game allows more exploration and experimenting, and you don't have any built in bias. Plus, we can avoid that gritty, dark, boring art with all the rippling muscles that has taken over modern comics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thoughts! And similar to how I feel about the game.

If you want to learn more about the background then I highly recommend "The Letters Page" podcast. Adam and Chris, the designers of the game, have been doing a weekly podcast on the background of the characters. Each week is a new character and their backstory. If you're interested in the fluff then check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
mi_de wrote:
I am really glad they did not just use existing characters. Those come with preconceived notions how they should play, and villain's weaknesses are already known.
In the case of DC Comics Deck-Building Game, they spent money on the license but didn't spend any money on game play. Heroes are defined by a single card and it has the nonsense with being able to hire villains - overall, a weak theme and weaker game play. With SotM the theme is strong and the game play is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If my wife and I together, I usually take 2 heroes and she takes 1. You only need 3 total heroes to play a 2-player game under the official rules. As other have posted, there are some true 2-player variants though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mouldybanana wrote:
mi_de wrote:
I am really glad they did not just use existing characters. Those come with preconceived notions how they should play, and villain's weaknesses are already known.
In the case of DC Comics Deck-Building Game, they spent money on the license but didn't spend any money on game play. Heroes are defined by a single card and it has the nonsense with being able to hire villains - overall, a weak theme and weaker game play. With SotM the theme is strong and the game play is good.

as a fan of DCDB, i'm gonna have to just interject here... they aren't "hiring" the villains. the villians in a hero's deck represent the experience a hero has gained after they defeat a villian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Daalder
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Kalii wrote:
Nice tight review. I agree with your comparison of handling multiple heroes playing more like Nick Fury. I've tried playing completely solo with my physical set and found it pretty hard to do...until I switched to playing with the iOS app which is a spectacular implementation.

I could see how you would like to see your favorite Marvel characters, but I also give GtG big props for creating their own IP that is pretty fun and well thought out....and I am a DC guy anyway...

When you say app do you mean the companion app or the video game version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to speak for someone else, but i kind of will.
I presume he means the app version of the game.
Which hopefully you have by now? :) It's available on Android, iOs, and Steam (maybe more.) I've got an Android version and Steam version. The base game was recently on sale on Steam, and it goes on sale every couple months.
I prefer the "live" version of the game, but the app is great for a quick solo. It can be tough managing 3 heroes and a villain playing solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading several reviews, it seems I'm the only living person that prefers controlling more than 1 character. Controlling one character (apart from Argent Adept and, perhaps, Absolute Zero) make me feel like I'm going on auto pilot, having very little real decisions. Maybe it's playing the App prior to the physical version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:
After reading several reviews, it seems I'm the only living person that prefers controlling more than 1 character. Controlling one character (apart from Argent Adept and, perhaps, Absolute Zero) make me feel like I'm going on auto pilot, having very little real decisions. Maybe it's playing the App prior to the physical version?

There's no more decisions to make, you just make them all by yourself, rather than sharing them with other people. If you like that better than you are probably a solo gamer (nothing wrong with that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:

You're not the only one. I absolutely prefer this with two players over four or five.

With particular villains or environments, one hero can end up discarding, playing a card that they'll have to destroy, or just doing some bit of repetitious cleanup several rounds in a row. They're doing important work toward winning the game, maybe even work that's vital to winning the game. But all the other heroes get to do interesting and different things during those turns.

Playing two heroes, one of the other heroes with interesting choices is also mine. So it doesn't feel like a straightjacket to have one of my heroes doing the important but boring maintenance work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
Floating World wrote:

There's no more decisions to make, you just make them all by yourself, rather than sharing them with other people. If you loke that better than you are probably a solo gamer (nothing wrong with that)

Not really a solo gamer. Only played 2 non digital games solo, just to try them out before the "real" play. And I played Mage Knight over 40 times, never solo, a lot with 2 people, 2 mage knights per player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
Floating World wrote:

You're not the only one. I absolutely prefer this with two players over four or five.

With particular villains or environments, one hero can end up discarding, playing a card that they'll have to destroy, or just doing some bit of repetitious cleanup several rounds in a row. They're doing important work toward winning the game, maybe even work that's vital to winning the game. But all the other heroes get to do interesting and different things during those turns.

Playing two heroes, one of the other heroes with interesting choices is also mine. So it doesn't feel like a straightjacket to have one of my heroes doing the important but boring maintenance work.

As always, other people have said it better than me. Couldn't agree more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.