Popular Tags: [View All]
John McDevitt
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All,

I played Eclipse yesterday, including the Pyxis for the first time.

I am thoroughly confused, even after looking over this forum...please help!

The rules state that the Pyxis have only one basic resource type, Transmatter, and that all population cubes come from the same population track.

Here 's where I am unclear: I am interpreting this to mean they only get one of the 3 tracks - (Money, Science, or Build) and therefore only fill 1 track with population cubes, severely limiting their expansion/planet colonization capabilities.

Were we doing this correctly?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chance
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Their cubes go into all planet types (Money, Science, and Build).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDevitt
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do get that all planets, regardless of color, are populated from the same track. I apologize if I did not articulate my question how I meant.

Do they only get a single track of population cubes on their racial sheet?

Thank you for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The resource can be spent as anything. You can colonize any type of planet with their cubes that doesn't have the advanced star icon on it. If you get a technology like advanced economy, now you can colonize advanced money locations as well.

The advantage to this is you gain some flexibility. The disadvantage is that you must use the same pool of resource for all areas of the game, and you overall generate less for the same number of cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steeleagle11 wrote:
I do get that all planets, regardless of color, are populated from the same track. I apologize if I did not articulate my question how I meant.

Do they only get a single track of population cubes on their racial sheet?

Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes, its a single winding track that slowly builds up as you remove cubes. If you look the whole track is gray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chance
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
If you see the cube track is a single one for the Pyxis so it is filled and your production each turn is whatever number is revealed. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDevitt
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baron opium
msg tools
I have a question about resource production with this race. I think (1) is correct, but there's an argument for (2).

(1) You pay your Civilization Upkeep Cost by comparing your Transmatter "Income" with your Influence Cost. You gain or lose this net amount of Transmatter and adjust your Tranmatter Storage Marker accordingly. In other words, the only time during the Upkeep that you produce Transmatter is when you have a net gain after reconciling your Civilization Upkeep Cost. Ouch!

(2) The other interpretation I had was to reconcile as above, and then when other species gain Science and Materials during the upkeep phase, the Pyxis Unity collects the amount of Transmatter that is revealed on the Population Track. But this gets sort of ridiculous if you've taken lots of cubes off the Population Track. I figured that since the Pyxis don't have Science and Material this step was just skipped for them.

There may be a rule that I've missed that renders one of these two options moot. I've played with this species once, and used (1), but I got my ass kicked and was scrambling for resources. Of course that might just mean to need to practice more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vigoren
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) You pay your Civilization Upkeep Cost by comparing your Transmatter "Income" with your Influence Cost. You gain or lose this net amount of Transmatter and adjust your Tranmatter Storage Marker accordingly. In other words, the only time during the Upkeep that you produce Transmatter is when you have a net gain after reconciling your Civilization Upkeep Cost. Ouch!

This is the correct answer. You get the income once only, and have to pay your upkeep out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.