Hide
12 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Quick Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack Webster
msg tools
I've been looking into this game and was looking to pick it up in the coming months, but the new Kickstarter has me hesitating. I would like to save for it over the coming months, but will the Kickstarter have any updated rules, errata, or components for the Core Set that wouldn't be in a 2nd wave edition? Basically I am asking if I should seek out a copy now or back the Kickstarter with a Core Set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xee
msg tools
ScionX wrote:
I've been looking into this game and was looking to pick it up in the coming months, but the new Kickstarter has me hesitating. I would like to save for it over the coming months, but will the Kickstarter have any updated rules, errata, or components for the Core Set that wouldn't be in a 2nd wave edition? Basically I am asking if I should seek out a copy now or back the Kickstarter with a Core Set?

I'm aware that there's an errata on Great Cthulhu's GOO's ability and; a number of online retailers are already sold out, although there's supposed to be another batch coming in - but dates aren't firm yet. In that perspective; maybe the KS is the better route.

To add to that: a faction expansion is ~$50, while the core game's prices fluctuates around $159 ~ $199 depending on which retailer you get it from. If you have not picked it up yet, the Acolyte pledge will give you the core game + 1 faction expansion at the same price, and still give you the Dire Cthulhu sculpt, plus the stretch goals.

That said, if you ONLY want the core game and don't want any additional factions or expansion, go ahead and pick it up from where you want to. If you can wait, or if you even want 1 expansion, you're gonna get better value going for the Acolyte level pledge, but there'll be waiting involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Short,yes there are a few things that have been balanced, like some of Cthulhu's spellbooks.

If you get the core game in the OS3 Kickstarter, everything will be up to date. If you pledge on any other pledge level, you will still get all the balance updates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Reardon
msg tools
ScionX wrote:
Basically I am asking if I should seek out a copy now or back the Kickstarter with a Core Set?

I highly recommend new players coming in and wanting as much as they can get to get the Great Old One pledge if possible. I've dropped over 1000$ on the course of the game's life between all three Kickstarters, and I have gotten everything there is so far as a result (no regrets either). Only a hand full of the quintessential things are missing from the GOO pledge level this time around; Things easily able to be bought from the online store at a later time, at that. For what you pay, all of the new stuff plus the older stuff that's important (and a bit of bling) is worth the price of admission.

Of course, if you just want a taste and try to collect all you're after later down the line, Acolyte is practically what you'd pay for the game retail, plus shipping. So it's not a bad choice either, considering you get all the Stretch Goal content that everyone does with it, and one expansion Faction of choice. I recommend either Windwalker or Sleeper as your pick. Or the Ancients if you want the new and shiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ToeSama wrote:
ScionX wrote:
Basically I am asking if I should seek out a copy now or back the Kickstarter with a Core Set?

I highly recommend new players coming in and wanting as much as they can get to get the Great Old One pledge if possible. I've dropped over 1000$ on the course of the game's life between all three Kickstarters, and I have gotten everything there is so far as a result (no regrets either). Only a hand full of the quintessential things are missing from the GOO pledge level this time around; Things easily able to be bought from the online store at a later time, at that. For what you pay, all of the new stuff plus the older stuff that's important (and a bit of bling) is worth the price of admission.

Of course, if you just want a taste and try to collect all you're after later down the line, Acolyte is practically what you'd pay for the game retail, plus shipping. So it's not a bad choice either, considering you get all the Stretch Goal content that everyone does with it, and one expansion Faction of choice. I recommend either Windwalker or Sleeper as your pick. Or the Ancients if you want the new and shiny.

Nice try Sandy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Reardon
msg tools
alexankh wrote:
Nice try Sandy!

Ptth, I wish. I might be able to afford more than just this up coming Onslaught next month if so XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ToeSama wrote:
alexankh wrote:
Nice try Sandy!

Ptth, I wish. I might be able to afford more than just this up coming Onslaught next month if so XD

Yes but you would say that if you were Sandy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
msg tools
I've mentioned the pricing issues to Sandy. The game does not sell at the MSRP anywhere to my knowledge, so basing the KS prices off that MSRP creates issues in terms of value proposition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
dande313 wrote:
Void2258 wrote:
I've mentioned the pricing issues to Sandy. The game does not sell at the MSRP anywhere to my knowledge, so basing the KS prices off that MSRP creates issues in terms of value proposition.

I did think it was funny, looking at the OS3 add-ons, that the Cthulhu Wars base game add-on costs $199, but the Acolyte pledge costs $200.

This worked for Gloomhaven because of the shortage, but it's not appearing to be as successful for OS3 because there are still a number of core games out there for sale.

The game is already very expensive, so many people who can afford it are probably also willing to pay a bit more to get the game now (I was). The immense number of expansions create rapidly diminishing returns on value, since most players will never make use of all the things, so paying close to MSRP for a pledge that has a lot of things you don't want is not something I can justify at that price, especially when the stretch goals are either novelty items (gray cultist models) or included in the full versions (no reason to pledge). For me, the pledge levels are just not worth it.

Now, if you are allowing people some sort of way to pre-order individual items so that you can more accurately gauge demand without having to give kickstarter 10%, sign me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skies wrote:
dande313 wrote:
Void2258 wrote:

I did think it was funny, looking at the OS3 add-ons, that the Cthulhu Wars base game add-on costs $199, but the Acolyte pledge costs $200.

This worked for Gloomhaven because of the shortage, but it's not appearing to be as successful for OS3 because there are still a number of core games out there for sale.

The game is already very expensive, so many people who can afford it are probably also willing to pay a bit more to get the game now (I was). The immense number of expansions create rapidly diminishing returns on value, since most players will never make use of all the things, so paying close to MSRP for a pledge that has a lot of things you don't want is not something I can justify at that price, especially when the stretch goals are either novelty items (gray cultist models) or included in the full versions (no reason to pledge). For me, the pledge levels are just not worth it.

I think you're misunderstanding a couple things:

1) It's quite clear that the grey cultists aren't just bling and will have rules revealed for them later.

2)As for items just being "included in the full versions," that's just not true, as anyone who backed Gods War will tell you. Many people in TGW campaign complained because they thought that the stretch goals were things already planned to go in the game anyway, so they didn't pledge. Well, guess what? That didn't happen. PG is not CMON. They needed the funding to get those things in the box and so some things from TGW didn't make it in. If funding for the Haunter in the Dark is not reached, it will most likely not be in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.