Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
A quick question here. Tomorrow we begin our holiday; we're going to the UK by car and ferry. Now I just heard that in the UK, as a driver you are not allowed to use your mobile phone while driving, or to have it in sight.
That would be a problem, as I use my phone as navigation equipment. Can anyone in the UK tell me whether that is allowed in practice or not?

And to make it RSP: Why does the government infringe on our God-given rights to use our phones whenever and wherever we want? Shouldn't Google, Facebook and Apple be able to gain data on wherever we go and whatever our holiday preferences are by any means possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
A quick question here. Tomorrow we begin our holiday; we're going to the UK by car and ferry. Now I just heard that in the UK, as a driver you are not allowed to use your mobile phone while driving, or to have it in sight.
That would be a problem, as I use my phone as navigation equipment. Can anyone in the UK tell me whether that is allowed in practice or not?

Most states in the US have the same laws. You just use a dashboard mount, especially for navigation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get the passenger to hold / operate the phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start here: https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
Whymme wrote:

Most states in the US have the same laws. You just use a dashboard mount, especially for navigation.

As of today it is illegal in Washington state to have a phone in your hand, eat, drink, or do your makeup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
As of today it is illegal in Washington state to have a phone in your hand, eat, drink, or do your makeup.

You have a phone that does our makeup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It all seems to be OK then. I have a dashboard mount, can control the Phone by voice and have a bluetooth connection with radio and mic, so everything should be fine.

My wife came with the news yesterday that any use of a phone in traffic is forbidden, so I thought I'd ask the experts - RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:

My seven year old daughter has a number of make-up apps installed on my iPad. There are undoubtedly phone variations as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
It all seems to be OK then. I have a dashboard mount, can control the Phone by voice and have a bluetooth connection with radio and mic, so everything should be fine.

My wife came with the news yesterday that any use of a phone in traffic is forbidden, so I thought I'd ask the experts - RSP.

Yeah, all the law means is when you are driving, hands on the wheel, eyes on the road, be aware of the real world. Common sense stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
AdrianPHague wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:

It's America. We have an ap for everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pretender to the Throne of Alsace-Lorraine
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
Whymme wrote:

When they outlaw cup holders, only outlaws will have cup holders. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.