1 , 2  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Divided We misunderStand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nic Cannelora
United States
flag msg tools
I am new to this site, but not at all new to the game. While I've enjoyed almost all of the expansions, my play IRL has mostly been insulary, and I've had embarrassingly little contact with the Legendary community, until my recent engagement here on this site.

So, I was surprised to learn of the general disdain I've observed recently, for the Divided Cards that were introduced a few sets back, and re-introduced in ML:X-Men.

Generally, my son and I love them. Their utility is almost always advantageous. Their theme is almost always on brand. I just don't get why they're the target of such malice.

If you despise the Divided Cards, can you try to help me understand?

If you love them, will you please console me, and reassure me that I'm not alone?

Thank you. Yours truly,
Legendary Peacemaker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them, but the print on them is foolishly small. It's an accessibility issue (not everyone has great vision), and on all the divided cards I can think of, it's totally unnecessary. It's like they said, "They're two small cards, so let's shrink everything!"

Other than that, I like them. If anything, they're overpowered. Yeah, I've thought about this more, and I was only thinking about the greater opportunities for superpower activation. What you get for the cards themselves is generally average or underpowered, compared to other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them, but the main complaints I've heard are:

1) the two small cards on one card is not aesthetically pleasing
2) and more specifically: the print is too small

3) by introducing more choice they increase player deliberation and slow down the game
4) because they add flexibility the effects of either side are generally slightly weaker than other cards of similar cost, but you can only play one side so you generally get a weak effect

My thoughts on each of these complaints are:
1) I somewhat agree with this one, they can look kind of crowded, or feel like custom cards, but I like when they do something imaginative with the art like having Colossus reaching across to place a restraining arm on Wolverine
2) Not a problem for me, especially once I've played cards a few times I'm generally not reading them anymore anyway as I know what they do, or I hold them up to read the first time they emerge in a game and then I don't need to do it again

3)Not really a problem for me as I play solo, and I like the added choice
4) It'll often depend on the deck you're trying to build. In some cases, the extra flexibility is more of an advantage, in others you might be better off with a single good card rather than a Divided one (eg if you're building an Instinct deck, you probably won't use the Storm sides of the Storm/Black Panther set so they don't help you much). I think this adds to the game quality overall though, more choice & variety, and a greater range of possible strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say there is general disdain for divided cards. As ever, a loud group might be the majority or it might be a vocal minority. There are a few people who hate divided cards with a passion. There are a few who like them quite a bit, but none that I can remember who are as invested in defending them as others are is declaring their hatred of them. I'm pretty much in that camp. Vast majority of players probably just think of divided as a mechanic like every other mechanic in the game: to be used as well as possible when in a game but not worth having strong feelings about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't hate them as much as I used to. I suppose I'm getting used to them.

dontfeedthegreen wrote:
I like them, but the main complaints I've heard are:

1) the two small cards on one card is not aesthetically pleasing
2) and more specifically: the print is too small

These are my main complaints. I kind like the cards all going the same way. I don't like that they are sideways in the HQ and in my hand. It is also a little annoying that I cover one side of the card when I play it to help me remember which side I played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another complaint I've seen thrown around is that Divided cards "dilute" a character. As in, if I want to play as Hercules - I don't want to see that runt Amadeus Cho running around my deck.

I'm not bothered by this as much, except in one instance - Storm & Black Panther. Not because I mind the pairing as much. It actually makes sense to have these two together considering their history - I just think Storm deserves more love than she's getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Just to even things out, I LOVE Divided cards. It's one of my favorite mechanics in the game.
Just sayin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Divided cards as well. I think the X-Men divided cards are a really cool addition, and wouldn't mind at all if they kept including them in future sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in as a fan of the Divided cards. It's a great way to use pairings like Cloak and Dagger, or Aurora and Northstar, because it both partners the two up while giving them each some focus. Legion is a particularly great way that these can be used thematically.

I also liked seeing a few different characters pop up in Civil War because of the Divided cards. While I really hope to see a Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) or Jessica Jones Hero at some point, where else would we have seen Battlestar or, dare I say, Aunt May?

A while ago I had a thought around an expansion regarding Marvel's upcoming Legacy initiative, and I thought Divided cards would be the perfect way of representing the classic heroes with the new generation.

Amazing Spider-Man & Ultimate Spider-Man
Captain America (Rogers) & Captain America (Wilson)
Incredible Hulk & Totally Awesome Hulk
Iron Man & Ironheart
Captain Marvel & Ms. Marvel
Thor & Odinson

...and so on. I could potentially see a number of new characters included here, such as the ones mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyrellArcher wrote:
Count me in as a fan of the Divided cards. It's a great way to use pairings like Cloak and Dagger, or Aurora and Northstar, because it both partners the two up while giving them each some focus. Legion is a particularly great way that these can be used thematically.

I also liked seeing a few different characters pop up in Civil War because of the Divided cards. While I really hope to see a Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) or Jessica Jones Hero at some point, where else would we have seen Battlestar or, dare I say, Aunt May?

A while ago I had a thought around an expansion regarding Marvel's upcoming Legacy initiative, and I thought Divided cards would be the perfect way of representing the classic heroes with the new generation.

Amazing Spider-Man & Ultimate Spider-Man
Captain America (Rogers) & Captain America (Wilson)
Incredible Hulk & Totally Awesome Hulk
Iron Man & Ironheart
Captain Marvel & Ms. Marvel
Thor & Odinson

...and so on. I could potentially see a number of new characters included here, such as the ones mentioned above.

I'd like to see these:

Power Man (Luke Cage) and Iron Fist
Daredevil and Electra
Misty Knight and Colleen Wing
Spider-Man and Human Torch (too many Spider-Men?)
Hawkeye (Clint Barton) and Hawkeye (Kate Bishop)
Black Bolt and Medusa

Definitely more room for more divided cards. I think it's easier to accept them when they don't make up the whole expansion of Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
Power Man (Luke Cage) and Iron Fist

That is a particularly awesome idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I would hate the cards but love them for solo play. My main minor complaint is the text is unnecessarily small sometimes. If all the card text says is "draw a card" then it doesn't need to be microscopic. My other minor complaint is for less experienced players it can be too complicated and may induce analysis paralysis. I tend to avoid using a lot of heroes with divided cards when playing with my wife She feels they are too complex and she finds it stressful to try to play them optimally. I am confident if she played more often she probably wouldn't have that impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Cannelora
United States
flag msg tools
Wow, thanks for all the replies, guys!!

These complaints do make sense. Similar to what some others have said, I don't have problems reading them. I guess I can admit, I simply didn't think of that. That's on me.

Overall, I love them. I think I've thought of the other drawbacks (sideways art, delaying turns, etc.), but I guess it always just felt worth it. I suppose, because of that, I never bothered to ask myself about alternatives/improvements, like maximizing a font size - that's a particularly good call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Legendary BGG forums community, Nic!!

I don't hate Divided cards, but I don't like that the print on them is so small. They can be difficult for me to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll step up and own my disdain for the Divided cards. I really, really, really DO NOT like them at all.

My reasons are all covered by the listings that have been given throughout the course of this particular thread (print, aesthetics, watering down, etc), but I'll add another reason:

there's no real good, obvious way to play them such that it's blatantly obvious which side you're playing for use.

I just really don't like them at all, but I don't go out of my way to discourage others from enjoying them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Cannelora
United States
flag msg tools
Thud105 wrote:
... I'll add another reason:

there's no real good, obvious way to play them such that it's blatantly obvious which side you're playing for use...

I just want to clarify what you mean, here. Are you kind of posing the question, "Why am I using side 'A'?"
or, "Why am I recruiting this card?"
or is it even, "Why am I using this hero set?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ncannelora wrote:
Thud105 wrote:

there's no real good, obvious way to play them such that it's blatantly obvious which side you're playing for use...

I just want to clarify what you mean, here. Are you kind of posing the question, "Why am I using side 'A'?"

I think it's more "damn, I've played 10 cards now, I can't remember if I played this for the one side or for the other"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
ncannelora wrote:
Thud105 wrote:

I think it's more "damn, I've played 10 cards now, I can't remember if I played this for the one side or for the other"

Isn't that also an issue with versatile? Or super powers? Or any card with a conditional effect? Resolve cards in order and keep track of the recruit and combat in your pool.

I do agree that split cards might cause issues when trying to match classes for super powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, for me it's always been an issue.

I just couldn't see anything else that was meant by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We like the divided cards, but we only use one hero with divided cards per game. Too many slow the game down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
ncannelora wrote:
Thud105 wrote:

Hist has it correct. There's no easy or obvious way to indicate which side you've played since all of those blasted cards are printed sideways and both sides are facing the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually put it down sideways and slide the side I'm not playing under another card (or if it's the first card I'm playing put the next one down over the unplayed side).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
mbmbmbmbmb
I do the same
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play the card "regularly" (as in, not sideways), and the side that's facing up is the played side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a sideboard containing full-sized proxies of each side of each divided card. When we play a divided card, we set it aside and put down a proxy for the desired side. When it's time to put the cards in our discard pile, we retrieve the divided card and place the proxy back in the sideboard.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
No, of course we don't do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.